From: GroupManagersForum@groups.io <GroupManagersForum@groups.io> On Behalf Of Larry Finch
Sent: Tuesday, May 5, 2020 12:53 PM
To: groupmanagersforum@groups.io
Subject: [GMF] Spammer attacking multiple groups

The user abnersadik96@ GMAIL.COM has been joining groups with a reasonable first post, then spamming the group promoting their sale of masks.

If you see a notice that they have joined your group you might want to ban them. At the least keep them moderated after their first post.

Larry

[Mod Note: The same spammer tried to do this in GMF, too. He has been joining multiple groups using different gmail addresses.]

On Tue, May 5, 2020 at 1:57 PM Joseph Lee <joseph.lee22590@...> wrote:

I think you might want to do something about this, as it’s been happening to several lists.

I had already disabled this account this morning, along with 5 other accounts for the same thing. This person subscribes to a bunch of groups, sends an innocuous initial message to get past any NMM setting, and then sends out their spam message (all via the website, which strikes me as very labor intensive).

Someone who had received one of the mask messages via a group unhelpfully and deliberately reported it to our hosting provider as spam.

I need to figure out additional measures to try to curtail this from happening in the future. Sigh.

Mark

Chris Jones

On Tue, May 5, 2020 at 10:08 PM, Mark Fletcher wrote:
Someone who had received one of the mask messages via a group unhelpfully and deliberately reported it to our hosting provider as spam.
Such action may have been well - intentioned, even if misguided.

I need to figure out additional measures to try to curtail this from happening in the future.
As an interim measure how about guidance that owners & moderators can provide to their own group members?

Sometimes having a Restricted group is very distinctly advantageous... potential troublemakers may not be able to find a convincing reason for joining...  that is if they even bother to try.

Chris