From: main@beta.groups.io <main@beta.groups.io> On Behalf Of Mark Fletcher
Sent: Wednesday, April 22, 2020 2:12 PM
To: beta@groups.io
Subject: [beta] Drafts policy change #update

Hi All,

Currently, we do not automatically delete old drafts. I propose changing this to be in-line with our other deletion policies (ie unclaimed pending subs/messages), where we would delete drafts older than 2 weeks.

I checked and we have close to 600k drafts in the database, with the oldest dating back to March 10, 2016, which I'm guessing is the day I introduced the feature.

On Wed, Apr 22, 2020 at 2:17 PM Joseph Lee <joseph.lee22590@...> wrote:

Can this be configurable on per-group or subgroup basis?

No it would not be. Is there any reason you'd want to keep a draft for more than 2 weeks?

Agreed. Also, can we get an email notification of when someone likes something? I'd also like to try the app with VoiceOver. Could you PM me with app beta instructions and list information?

Hi,

Not on my groups, although I imagine someone may say they might be writing a message for distribution in the future and prefer to leave it as a draft.

Cheers,

Joseph

Can this be configurable on per-group or subgroup basis?

No it would not be. Is there any reason you'd want to keep a draft for more than 2 weeks?

Sarah k Alawami

Thanks for the heads up. I was actually hoping this could be implemented soon.

Take care and thanks for all the hard work you are doing to make this service a success.

On 22 Apr 2020, at 14:11, Mark Fletcher wrote:

Hi All,

Currently, we do not automatically delete old drafts. I propose changing this to be in-line with our other deletion policies (ie unclaimed pending subs/messages), where we would delete drafts older than 2 weeks.

I checked and we have close to 600k drafts in the database, with the oldest dating back to March 10, 2016, which I'm guessing is the day I introduced the feature.

Tony Moody

Hallo Mark,

I use Drafts to keep some draft texts which are important to me .

Can you please suggest where else I could store draft emails, text formatting experiments,  email boilerplate, etc?

Thanks,
Tony

Duane

On Wed, Apr 22, 2020 at 04:15 PM, Mark Fletcher wrote:
I checked and we have close to 600k drafts in the database
I try to remember to check about once a month to see whether I have any drafts on my groups.  They're always inadvertent when I do find one.  For those, like Tony, that intentionally use them, an indication on the Your Groups page, https://groups.io/groups, might make folks more aware of them and reduce the numbers.  Maybe a blue, boxed D in the Delivery column or next to the group name?  I suspect there are some folks that don't even know they exist, especially those that use email most of the time.  I would have no problem with the 2 week timeout though.

Duane

Bruce Bowman

On Thu, Apr 23, 2020 at 03:53 AM, Tony Moody wrote:

I use Drafts to keep some draft texts which are important to me .

Can you please suggest where else I could store draft emails, text formatting experiments,  email boilerplate, etc?

Tony -- You can store them as a Member Notices of type "Note to Member." Unfortunately, at this time there is no convenient way to subsequently send that member notice to the entire group. You'll have to open two browser tabs and copy/paste from one to the other.

In this context I'd like to have a pull-down menu in the New Topic dialog that would allow me to select a Note to Member and send it to everyone as a regular post. Available to Mods only, of course.

Bruce

Marv Waschke

I would be glad to see drafts automatically purged. My drafts older than a day or so are just clutter to remember to delete. For what it's worth, I keep snips of text that I want to reuse in group messages organized in a OneNote notebook. There are many different ways you can devise to manage text that you reuse other than groups.io drafts.
Best, Marv

txercoupemuseum.org

I am confused by the terminology (or lack thereof) being used here.

I also use Drafts to keep some draft texts which are important to me.  But these drafts are in my Apple Mail program, independent of Groups.io.

Am I misinformed?

WRB

—

On Apr 23, 2020, at 2:53 AM, Tony Moody <aim@...> wrote:

Hallo Mark,

I use Drafts to keep some draft texts which are important to me .

Can you please suggest where else I could store draft emails, text formatting experiments,  email boilerplate, etc?

Thanks,
Tony

_._._,_

Duane

On Thu, Apr 23, 2020 at 09:37 AM, txercoupemuseum.org wrote:
I also use Drafts to keep some draft texts which are important to me.  But these drafts are in my Apple Mail program, independent of Groups.io.
This purge/deletion, if implemented, would have nothing to do with anything stored on your computer, only on the site.

Duane

Roland Roberts

What happens if a draft is edited? Does that reset the expiration? I would want it to, though I suppose I could get used to editing them as emails on my computer instead of the web site.

roland

Duane

On Sat, Apr 25, 2020 at 12:09 PM, Roland Roberts wrote:
What happens if a draft is edited? Does that reset the expiration?
Based on a quick test, no reset.

Duane