Topics

moderated Site updates #changelog

Changes to the site this week:

  • INTERNAL: Changed how we were limiting email sent to some domains, to use the MX server domain as a key for limiting instead of the receipient's domain. This will affect all messages to GoDaddy hosted domains, orange.fr/wanadoo.fr, earthlink/mindspring/netcom and a couple others. This will hopefully allow us to keep under per-connection limits imposed by these email service providers and avoid getting temporarily blocked for trying to send too much email at one time.
  • INTERNAL: Technical debt cleanup of web page templates. An ongoing process.
  • CHANGE: Updated the Help Center manuals with updates from Nina.
  • API: /downloadarchives was not returning the messages in ascending date order.
  • CHANGE: Allow 'list-style-type' styling in user generated content.
  • CHANGE: Some formatting tweaks to the Member page, including displaying the member's timezone.
  • CHANGE: Changed 'Unsubscribe' button in the Subscription page to 'Leave Group' to be more clear.
  • SYSADMIN: Switched primary database machines because of continuing (minor) corruption issues.
  • CHANGE: When viewing a member's information on mobile, changed the nav buttons at the top to a dropdown instead. Also fixed several navigation bugs when viewing past members.

Take care everyone.

Mark

Chris Jones

On Sat, Apr 18, 2020 at 05:20 AM, Mark Fletcher wrote:
CHANGE: Changed 'Unsubscribe' button in the Subscription page to 'Leave Group' to be more clear.
Should the Unsubscribe label for the "unsubscribe" email address on each group Home Page be changed to "Leave this Group" for equal clarity and consistency?

Chris

ro-esp

On Sat, Apr 18, 2020 at 11:26 AM, Chris Jones wrote:

On Sat, Apr 18, 2020 at 05:20 AM, Mark Fletcher wrote:

CHANGE: Changed 'Unsubscribe' button in the Subscription page to 'Leave
Group' to be more clear.
I don't see the improvement. "Leave" has several different meanings. If you prefer calling subscribers members, how about "end membership"?

Should the *Unsubscribe* label for the "unsubscribe" email address on each
group Home Page be changed to "Leave this Group" for equal clarity and
consistency?
I don't think so. Seems to me that the term "unsubscribe" has been customary for millions of people for decades.

groetjes, Ronaldo

Chris

Andy Wedge

On Sat, Apr 18, 2020 at 10:17 PM, ro-esp wrote:

Should the *Unsubscribe* label for the "unsubscribe" email address on each
group Home Page be changed to "Leave this Group" for equal clarity and
consistency?
I don't think so. Seems to me that the term "unsubscribe" has been customary for millions of people for decades.
The term 'unsubscribe' is used at the bottom of digest emails and I agree with ro-esp that the term has been in use for a long time so is widely understood. I'm not sure changing the button text adds value in this case.

Andy