Topics

moderated Zoom integration now active #update

Hi All,

After a bunch of back and forth with Zoom, our Zoom integration is now active. You can now easily create a new Zoom meeting when you're setting up a Groups.io group calendar event. For more information, see the section in the member's manual here: https://groups.io/helpcenter/membersmanual/1/working-with-calendars/making-an-event-a-zoom-meeting

Please let me know if you see any issues with it.

Thanks, Mark

Mark,
I just got a post from the Zoom blog about all the apps that are offering free integrations with Zoom (etc.) during the pandemic. You might want to contact them to add groups.io to the list.

On Fri, Apr 10, 2020 at 06:11 PM, Mark Fletcher wrote:
Please let me know if you see any issues with it.
In the manual section referenced, it says "When you are adding an event, on the Event page, click the Make This A Zoom Meeting button (it is located below the Repeats panel).", but I'm not seeing the button on any of my Basic groups.  You had mentioned earlier that it would be on all groups for now.

Ken Schweizer

Hi Mark,

Were you able to get them to correct their reported phishing problem?

Ken

"The Christian religion is, above all the religions that ever prevailed or existed in ancient or modern times, the religion of wisdom, virtue, equity and humanity." John Adams

On Fri, Apr 10, 2020 at 5:42 PM Duane <txpigeon@...> wrote:

In the manual section referenced, it says "When you are adding an event, on the Event page, click the Make This A Zoom Meeting button (it is located below the Repeats panel).", but I'm not seeing the button on any of my Basic groups.  You had mentioned earlier that it would be on all groups for now.

Please try it now.

Andy Wedge

On Sat, Apr 11, 2020 at 04:19 AM, Mark Fletcher wrote:
Please try it now.
Hi Mark,

there's a problem with the meeting information text that is generated in the calendar. The pwd= parameter which should contain the encrypted password also has part of the meeting number at the end and contains spaces. The next text line which is supposed to show the password is actually showing the last 4 digits of my personal meeting id.

Regards
Andy

Andy Wedge

...and additionally I've just found an additional line that contains the meeting password. It starts with:

%!(EXTRA string=

Andy

Duane

On Fri, Apr 10, 2020 at 10:19 PM, Mark Fletcher wrote:
Please try it now.
Yes, it's there now.  I probably won't be using it, but it's good to know it's available

Thank you,
Duane

Jean Bennett

Just a quick question since I’m not really familiar with the Zoom platform. I’ve read the description in the manual, and it’s not clear to me if everyone who signs in to the Zoom meeting must have a Zoom account or only the person who sets it up on the calendar.

I really appreciate all you are doing, Mark, to constantly improve Groups.io.

Jean

Andy Wedge

On Sat, Apr 11, 2020 at 04:10 PM, Jean Bennett wrote:
it’s not clear to me if everyone who signs in to the Zoom meeting must have a Zoom account or only the person who sets it up on the calendar.
You need a Zoom account if you are hosting a meeting. Otherwise, you can just use the Zoom application to join a meeting by entering the meeting number (and password if required).

Andy

On Sat, Apr 11, 2020 at 12:16 AM Andy Wedge <andy_wedge@...> wrote:

there's a problem with the meeting information text that is generated in the calendar. The pwd= parameter which should contain the encrypted password also has part of the meeting number at the end and contains spaces. The next text line which is supposed to show the password is actually showing the last 4 digits of my personal meeting id.

This should all be fixed now.

Andy Wedge

On Sat, Apr 11, 2020 at 04:28 PM, Mark Fletcher wrote:

there's a problem with the meeting information text that is generated in the calendar.

This should all be fixed now.
The format of the meeting invite text looks good now however I have noticed that the Zoom integration does not pick up my default values in the Zoom app. In the integration, the host & participant video defaults to 'on', waiting rooms are not enabled and it always generates a new password for each meeting.  In the Zoom application with my personal meeting id (PMI) I can keep the same password.

Regards,
Andy

Andy Wedge

...and in addition, the #zoom hashtag that is added to the meeting subject line is not added to the group list of hashtags.

Regards,
Andy

Andy Wedge

...and in addition, it would be helpful if the integration could include the dial-in details that are normally generated when I schedule a meeting through the Zoom application.

Thanks,
Andy

Joseph Hudson

No only the person that is setting up the meeting needs a zoom account.

On Apr 11, 2020, at 10:10 AM, Jean Bennett via groups.io <jcbennett=aol.com@groups.io> wrote:

Just a quick question since I’m not really familiar with the Zoom platform. I’ve read the description in the manual, and it’s not clear to me if everyone who signs in to the Zoom meeting must have a Zoom account or only the person who sets it up on the calendar.

I really appreciate all you are doing, Mark, to constantly improve Groups.io.

Jean

Dave Sergeant

A quick look...

It seems you cannot add Zoom to an existing event, the Zoom button is
missing if you 'edit event'. We would be looking to add Zoom to our
regular monthly meetings while the lockdown is on. So we would have to
delete that event and create a new one.

I take it only the host of the meeting can create the Zoom alert. We
would have to give our host calendar permissions for this, at the
moment we have it set so that only mods can create calendar events.

Dave

http://davesergeant.com

On Sat, Apr 11, 2020 at 10:01 AM Dave Sergeant <dave@...> wrote:

It seems you cannot add Zoom to an existing event, the Zoom button is
missing if you 'edit event'. We would be looking to add Zoom to our
regular monthly meetings while the lockdown is on. So we would have to
delete that event and create a new one.

You can add a zoom meeting to an existing event. But you cannot currently add zoom meetings to repeating calendar events.

Joseph Hudson

, An easier way to do this would be when the calendar event goes out, have the zoom host reply with the link to the zoom meeting. Then anybody can click and join the meeting that needs to.

On Sat, Apr 11, 2020 at 06:01 PM, Dave Sergeant wrote:
We would be looking to add Zoom to our
regular monthly meetings while the lockdown is on. So we would have to
delete that event and create a new one.
Just copy/paste the details of a Zoom meeting into the repeating event and then save with the 'all events' option..  I've done that with a repeating event on my calendar. Set the Location field to be the meeting link and past any other text in the event details area. Job done.  No need to delete and re-create the event.

Andy

Andy,

We should be picking up all the defaults now. Off-list, can you send me an example of the dial-in details that you'd like included?