Topics

moderated Display member time zone #suggestion #done


Duane
 

While I was checking this morning to see if digests were being delivered (based on a question I was looking into), I noticed that some members didn't get one.  Then it dawned on me that they aren't in the same time zone as me (used as the group default) so will get theirs later/earlier.  In cases like this, it would be really handy if there were a notation in their member record of which TZ they have selected.  I wouldn't want to be able to change it, just see it.  Maybe next to or just below the Joined date.  Due to some areas not having an official abbreviation, showing them in UTC might be best.

Thanks,
Duane


 

On Mon, Apr 6, 2020 at 7:55 AM Duane <txpigeon@...> wrote:
While I was checking this morning to see if digests were being delivered (based on a question I was looking into), I noticed that some members didn't get one.  Then it dawned on me that they aren't in the same time zone as me (used as the group default) so will get theirs later/earlier.  In cases like this, it would be really handy if there were a notation in their member record of which TZ they have selected.  I wouldn't want to be able to change it, just see it.  Maybe next to or just below the Joined date.  Due to some areas not having an official abbreviation, showing them in UTC might be best.

I've tweaked the display on that page a bit and added the user timezone as well.

Thanks,
Mark 


John Pearce
 

This would be useful, I don't see it looking at a member on our member list.  Only joiined.  Is this something that only groups.io owners and moderators can see?


Duane
 

On Fri, Apr 17, 2020 at 08:42 AM, John Pearce wrote:
Only joiined.  Is this something that only groups.io owners and moderators can see?
On the Member List, the Joined date/time was moved to the upper right, directly across from their email address.  The TZ is to the right of that.  I believe only owner/mods can see that, but I don't have any groups set to allow members to see the list to verify.  A member can easily see which TZ they've selected by looking at their Account Preferences.

Duane


Chris Jones
 

On Fri, Apr 17, 2020 at 03:53 PM, Duane wrote:
On the Member List, the Joined date/time was moved to the upper right, directly across from their email address.  The TZ is to the right of that.
Is it really? I have looked at the two Members Lists to which I have access and cannot see it. My initial feeling was that this might be another manifestation of a 4:3 display, (see this thread) but shrinking the display size still leaves the "Applied" column firmly glued to the right hand side of the display.

And just in case anyone asks... there is no horizontal scroll bar showing.

Chris


Duane
 

On Fri, Apr 17, 2020 at 10:11 AM, Chris Jones wrote:
I have looked at the two Members Lists to which I have access and cannot see it.
For clarification, it's on the Member Record page not the actual List page.

Duane


Andy Wedge
 

On Fri, Apr 17, 2020 at 04:23 PM, Duane wrote:
For clarification, it's on the Member Record page not the actual List page.
It may be helpful if this information was included in the member list download.

Andy


Chris Jones
 

On Fri, Apr 17, 2020 at 04:23 PM, Duane wrote:
For clarification, it's on the Member Record page not the actual List page.
A pedant writes:

Ah.. the individual member's record pages...

Much clearer now. :)

Chris


Duane
 

On Fri, Apr 17, 2020 at 10:50 AM, Andy Wedge wrote:
It may be helpful if this information was included in the member list download.
The TZ is included, though not in UTC, if you use the Export Group Data to get the json file for the Members List.

Duane


Michael Pavan
 

On Apr 17, 2020, at 11:23 AM, Duane <txpigeon@...> wrote:
For clarification, it's on the Member Record page not the actual List page.
It's nice to have on each individual Member Record page...

but it would be most useful if it were also a sortable column on the Member list,
so members can be sorted by Time Zone.

Especially if you want to send a message only to those who might want to correct from the (until recently) default Pacific Time Zone (currently UTC-7).


Jeremy H
 

It would also be desirable if it could be included in the Directory, both in the Overview and individual views.

Something else that I noticed in looking at this, is that on the member list display, according to the column heading, what is displayed is date 'Applied' rather than 'Joined'

Jeremy


Duane
 

On Sat, Apr 18, 2020 at 01:16 AM, Michael Pavan wrote:
Especially if you want to send a message only to those who might want to correct from the (until recently) default Pacific Time Zone (currently UTC-7).
Since this should really be a one-time thing, I'd use the Export to get the information and notify those that need it.  If it's a 'local' group, the correct setting could be made in the Default Sub Settings for future members.

Duane


John Wirtz SF
 

I noticed a post where the moderator was asking for a sort on the date format.  So that;s another instance of the need to be able to sort on the subscriber fields

I also noticed that it isn’t possible to download the past members list.  That could be useful.

 

John
SFSS Group

 

From: main@beta.groups.io <main@beta.groups.io> On Behalf Of Duane
Sent: 18 April 2020 12:47
To: main@beta.groups.io
Subject: Re: [beta] Display member time zone #suggestion #done

 

On Sat, Apr 18, 2020 at 01:16 AM, Michael Pavan wrote:

Especially if you want to send a message only to those who might want to correct from the (until recently) default Pacific Time Zone (currently UTC-7).

Since this should really be a one-time thing, I'd use the Export to get the information and notify those that need it.  If it's a 'local' group, the correct setting could be made in the Default Sub Settings for future members.

Duane


John Pearce
 

I still don't see it.  Just the joined date and time.  Here is a cut and paste of that line from one of our member.  I am a co owner by the way.

xxx@...
Joined Feb 20 (UTC-04:00)


Chris Jones
 

On Sat, Apr 18, 2020 at 04:28 PM, John Pearce wrote:
I still don't see it.  Just the joined date and time.
Contrary to what was hinted at in some earlier posts the Time Zone is shown on an individual member's record page, not the Members List.

Chris


John Pearce
 

Not having looked at that field previously I may have been confused here.  It could be that only the joined date is displayed and the UTC is NOT the joined time, but rather their time zone setting.  Sorry if this is the case.

John P


Duane
 

On Sat, Apr 18, 2020 at 10:33 AM, John Pearce wrote:
It could be that only the joined date is displayed and the UTC is NOT the joined time, but rather their time zone setting.
That's correct.  To see the time they joined, hover over the date.  (If it happens to be today, it will just show the time.)

Duane


Bob Bellizzi
 

On Sat, Apr 18, 2020 at 08:15 AM, John Wirtz SF wrote:

I also noticed that it isn’t possible to download the past members list.  That could be useful.

 

You can easily download the past members by using the large Download button above the list.
This will display the list on your screen, Select all, copy and past it into a text file 
Save the file as a .csv and you are all set to manipulate it with something like Excel.
Nothing very tricky there
 
--

Bob Bellizzi


John Wirtz SF
 

I don’t want to be obtuse here, I did exactly as you suggested.

What I got was a csv file for all the current members excluding past members!

 

That’s why I asked the question!

 

John
SFSS Groups

 

From: main@beta.groups.io <main@beta.groups.io> On Behalf Of Bob Bellizzi
Sent: 18 April 2020 19:32
To: main@beta.groups.io
Subject: Re: [beta] Display member time zone #suggestion #done

 

On Sat, Apr 18, 2020 at 08:15 AM, John Wirtz SF wrote:

I also noticed that it isn’t possible to download the past members list.  That could be useful.

 

You can easily download the past members by using the large Download button above the list.
This will display the list on your screen, Select all, copy and past it into a text file 
Save the file as a .csv and you are all set to manipulate it with something like Excel.
Nothing very tricky there
 
--

Bob Bellizzi


Andy Wedge
 

On Sat, Apr 18, 2020 at 07:31 PM, Bob Bellizzi wrote:
You can easily download the past members by using the large Download button above the list.
This will display the list on your screen,
The download button always gives a list of current members regardless of the list you are looking at.

Andy