Topics

moderated Site updates #changelog

John Wirtz SF

Not wishing to teach old dinosaurs new tricks, as an ex Technical Information Manager in the rail industry, it is absolutely vital to apply version control to the user manual to capture updates.

I suggest the following control measures:
1 - Put the version control box at the beginning of the document
2 - Make sure version ,date and author is included upon every modification

Designations for versions:
Original version (current version).  v1, v2, v3, etc  These are published documents made available to all users.

Draft Versions: v1.1, v1.2, 1.3 , etc.  These version could be held in the docs folder on the beta site for review and comment.
Once draft version is approved for publication this invokes an up-reving of the main users document.

Keep an maintain Change Log  or alternatively, use a revision system like the one provided in M/S Word to track changes.  Please note, the change log does not detail the detail of the change but merely records the location of the change.  i.e. page no and paragraph.

I would be happy to assist with this process if necessary.

Regards

John

Andy Wedge

On Mon, Apr 6, 2020 at 03:05 PM, Bruce Bowman wrote:
the big "Top Hashtags" buttons tend to dominate the layout. In turn, the current hashtag layout is difficult to tap/navigate on mobile devices.
Given that we currently have different layouts and default settings for mobile devices (the calendar display is an easy example) I don't think that should be a big hurdle to overcome.

If we had some stats on how many visits there had been to different areas of our groups (basically the options on the left side menu) then we may be able to see gauge the impact of a change. If nobody visits a group home page, for example, then whether the hashtag buttons are large, small or not displayed is somewhat mute.

Andy

I could do without both the “active topics” and the ugly hashtag thingy. I get really tired of someone trying to direct what I do and don’t read and engage with. This seems to be happening on a lot of platforms in attempts to be more “social”.

For those folks who prefer to be controlling with their group members, enjoy. Just give the rest of us the option to not opt in (and make it an “opt in” rather than an “opt out”).

Patti

Bruce Bowman

On Sun, Apr 5, 2020 at 02:22 PM, William Ellis wrote:
I understand people's reluctance to change something that they "see no value" but for those of us with groups where it would be a plus - why not.
IIRC, the main concern expressed with the new homepage wasn't so much the addition of an "Active Topics" div, but that the big "Top Hashtags" buttons tend to dominate the layout. In turn, the current hashtag layout is difficult to tap/navigate on mobile devices.

If the new layout was implemented in conjunction with a setting to hide the "Top Hashtags" div entirely, I believe this might go a long way toward resolution of the deadlock.

Regards,
Bruce

Mark;

How about giving the Admin of a group the right to upgrade the home page?  I understand people's reluctance to change something that they "see no value" but for those of us with groups where it would be a plus - why not.

I don't know what it is like to do something like letting people select and I am sure it is more work than rolling it out everywhere.

We.

Duane

On Sat, Apr 4, 2020 at 10:24 AM, Mark Fletcher wrote:
I would still like to roll it out everywhere because I think it's a superior experience.
Will it be an option or mandatory?  I still have the same reservations about the new page layout as when it was originally announced.

Andy Wedge

On Sat, Apr 4, 2020 at 06:35 PM, Mark Fletcher wrote:
I made a mistake and forgot to remove that from the list before I posted it.
If it was just a mistake then no problem. At least we understand the discrepancy between the changelog and what actually changed. Hopefully the changes to the homepage and the Zoom integration can be rolled out shortly.

Many thanks,
Andy

On Sat, Apr 4, 2020 at 9:27 AM Andy Wedge <andy_wedge@...> wrote:
I've seen the previous discussions on the hompage changes and the recent release and rollback of the zoom integration. I am still perplexed by the fact that these changes were included in the changelog when in fact they had not been released. How many of the others in this week's list are like this?

(Many snarky responses typed and deleted).

I made a mistake and forgot to remove that from the list before I posted it.

Mark

Andy Wedge

On Sat, Apr 4, 2020 at 04:24 PM, Mark Fletcher wrote:

The new home page is still only on beta and a couple other groups. I'd like to roll it out everywhere, but when I proposed that awhile ago, there was ... consternation. I would still like to roll it out everywhere because I think it's a superior experience. I will probably enable it for all new groups starting next week.

The homepage(s) look the same as before (they don't look like beta) and I don't see an option to define a new calendar event as a Zoom meeting.

I had to turn it off when I realized it only worked for my Zoom account until I had it approved by Zoom. That process is on-going.
I've seen the previous discussions on the hompage changes and the recent release and rollback of the zoom integration. I am still perplexed by the fact that these changes were included in the changelog when in fact they had not been released. How many of the others in this week's list are like this?

I'd like to see the homepage changes on my group and we will certainly make use of the Zoom integration once it is approved.

Andy

On Fri, Apr 3, 2020 at 11:43 PM Andy Wedge <andy_wedge@...> wrote:
On Sat, Apr 4, 2020 at 04:58 AM, Mark Fletcher wrote:
  • NEW: Added a search bar to the new group home page/did some rearraigning of the page (as seen on beta@).
  • NEW: Added Zoom integration to the calendar. You can now set up Zoom meetings when you create new events.

I'm seeing no evidence of these changes on my group/subgroups.

The new home page is still only on beta and a couple other groups. I'd like to roll it out everywhere, but when I proposed that awhile ago, there was ... consternation. I would still like to roll it out everywhere because I think it's a superior experience. I will probably enable it for all new groups starting next week.

The homepage(s) look the same as before (they don't look like beta) and I don't see an option to define a new calendar event as a Zoom meeting.

I had to turn it off when I realized it only worked for my Zoom account until I had it approved by Zoom. That process is on-going.

Mark

Thomas Gruber

Hi Andy,
My understanding of „new group home page“ is that this change is only applied to new groups - i.e. any groups created from today onwards.
I can imagine that some group owners wouldn‘t want their existing home pages to be changed automatically.
Let‘s see what Mark says.

Thomas

Am 04.04.2020 um 14:05 schrieb Andy Wedge <andy_wedge@...>:

On Sat, Apr 4, 2020 at 12:27 PM, Duane wrote:
No, it doesn't.  It says the change was made to "the new group home page" which hasn't been rolled out to any group other than beta.
The way it reads to me is that the change has been rolled out so that it now looks the same as beta. If it is just a change to beta, I don't see the point on including that on a general release note which is also posted on the Updates group which is the 'Official announcement group for updates to the Groups.io service' (taken from the group homepage) and has 1.25 million members. Purely from a business point of view, it doesn't make sense to do that.

In the past, other changes have been made just on beta and those of us in the group have had chance to test them before they are rolled out to all and included on the changelog.

Andy

[...]

On Sat, Apr 4, 2020 at 05:56 AM, Andy Wedge wrote:
But that's precisely what the changelog says has happened.  If it hasn't, why is it in the changelog?
No, it doesn't.  It says the change was made to "the new group home page" which hasn't been rolled out to any group other than beta.  It's available on the beta group so we can see what it looks like and test it here.

Duane

Andy Wedge

On Sat, Apr 4, 2020 at 10:00 AM, Duane wrote:
It hasn't been rolled out to all groups yet.
But that's precisely what the changelog says has happened.  If it hasn't, why is it in the changelog?

Andy

Duane

On Sat, Apr 4, 2020 at 01:43 AM, Andy Wedge wrote:
I'm seeing no evidence of these changes on my group/subgroups. The homepage(s) look the same as before (they don't look like beta)
Since June of last year, beta is the only group that has the home page redesign, https://beta.groups.io/g/main/topic/32057590  It hasn't been rolled out to all groups yet.

Duane

Andy Wedge

On Sat, Apr 4, 2020 at 04:58 AM, Mark Fletcher wrote:
  • NEW: Added a search bar to the new group home page/did some rearraigning of the page (as seen on beta@).
  • NEW: Added Zoom integration to the calendar. You can now set up Zoom meetings when you create new events.
Hi Mark,

I'm seeing no evidence of these changes on my group/subgroups. The homepage(s) look the same as before (they don't look like beta) and I don't see an option to define a new calendar event as a Zoom meeting.

Regards,
Andy

Changes to the site this week:

  • INTERNAL: Improvements to our log file grepping system to help track down problems.
  • NEW: Many updates to the new Help Center, Owners Manual and Members Manual.
  • CHANGE: Lots of little wording tweaks on the website to make things more consistent.
  • CHANGE: For messages sent to the +owner address, delete any existing To header and replace it with listname+owner@groups.io, to make it more clear where the message was sent.
  • API: Added /newgroupalias and /deletegroupalias endpoints.
  • NEW: Added a search bar to the new group home page/did some rearraigning of the page (as seen on beta@).
  • API: Added /unbanmember endpoint.
  • BUGFIX: When uploading a directory to the Files section, the description was not added to the top level folder.
  • BUGFIX: Repost was not working in the Topic view.
  • NEW: Added Zoom integration to the calendar. You can now set up Zoom meetings when you create new events.
  • CHANGE: Cap message subject line length at 1000 characters.
  • CHANGE: For groups set to Reply To Sender, no longer add the CC header to point back to the group. When replying-to-all, it would create a duplicate mailing.
  • CHANGE: Improved the formatting of the new Owners Manual PDF.
  • SYSADMIN: Upgraded the machine instance responsible for sending email.
  • INTERNAL: To display attachments on the website, now redirect to S3 in many cases instead of us fetching/returning the data.

Take care everyone.

Mark