Topics

moderated Reply Composition #bug


Duane
 

I just attempted to make a reply on one of my groups and got the Markdown (MD) composition window.  I went to my account, changed it to plain text (though it showed HTML), and still get the MD window.  Changed it back to HTML, still showing MD window.  I'm going to leave it there, hoping Mark is playing with an idea and this will be straightened out shortly.

Thanks,
Duane


 

On Tue, Mar 31, 2020 at 1:00 PM Duane <txpigeon@...> wrote:
I just attempted to make a reply on one of my groups and got the Markdown (MD) composition window.  I went to my account, changed it to plain text (though it showed HTML), and still get the MD window.  Changed it back to HTML, still showing MD window.  I'm going to leave it there, hoping Mark is playing with an idea and this will be straightened out shortly.

I'm not aware of any issues with that, and I haven't touched that code in awhile. My guess is that there's something causing a javascript error. Off-list, please send me the URL of the message you're trying to reply to and I'll investigate.

If anyone else is seeing this, please also send me the URL off-list.

Thanks,
Mark 


Duane
 

On Tue, Mar 31, 2020 at 03:31 PM, Mark Fletcher wrote:
My guess is that there's something causing a javascript error.
Another bit of information for those that may check, it only seems to happen on "Plain Text Only" groups.  Works fine here on beta - get the HTML window.  Other info sent to Mark.

Duane


 

On Tue, Mar 31, 2020 at 3:08 PM Duane <txpigeon@...> wrote:
On Tue, Mar 31, 2020 at 03:31 PM, Mark Fletcher wrote:
My guess is that there's something causing a javascript error.
Another bit of information for those that may check, it only seems to happen on "Plain Text Only" groups.  Works fine here on beta - get the HTML window.  Other info sent to Mark.


Ah, that's it. For groups that are plain text only, we only allow plain text replies. I tested the URL you sent, and it put up the plain text editor, as expected. It wasn't the markdown editor (really the same thing as plain text except that there'd be a Preview button under it).

Hope this helps.
Mark


Duane
 

On Tue, Mar 31, 2020 at 06:04 PM, Mark Fletcher wrote:
Ah, that's it. For groups that are plain text only, we only allow plain text replies.
Helps a LOT!  Thank you for checking.  Is this something that changed "recently"?  I seem to remember seeing the HTML editing buttons previously, but maybe I wasn't paying close enough attention (and I know how you've done little things to see if we're really paying attention. ;>)  Makes sense though as there'd be no need to convert it to text like an incoming email.

Thanks much,
Duane


 

On Tue, Mar 31, 2020 at 5:25 PM Duane <txpigeon@...> wrote:
On Tue, Mar 31, 2020 at 06:04 PM, Mark Fletcher wrote:
Ah, that's it. For groups that are plain text only, we only allow plain text replies.
Helps a LOT!  Thank you for checking.  Is this something that changed "recently"?  I seem to remember seeing the HTML editing buttons previously, but maybe I wasn't paying close enough attention (and I know how you've done little things to see if we're really paying attention. ;>)  Makes sense though as there'd be no need to convert it to text like an incoming email.

It's true that I do tweak things, but I try to announce them (I have done a bunch of word tweaks lately in response to tech writer Nina's suggestions that I haven't specifically called out). But this particular behavior dates back, IIRC, several years.

Mark