moderated Markdown Support #suggestion

Bill Costa

Any chance of providing Markdown support for messages submitted via
email? Perhaps starting the body of a plain text message with a first
line of ".markdown", or something similar, to signal that the text
should be poured though the markdown filter before posting and
storage?

...BC

I'd like to be able to use markdown via email, as well. It would make writing much easier.

On Sun, Mar 29, 2020 at 05:00 PM, Bill Costa wrote:
Perhaps starting the body of a plain text message with a first
line of ".markdown", or something similar, to signal that the text
should be poured though the markdown filter before posting and
storage?
I just wanted to note that it seems to be a common thing that a text entry starting with "%md" (without the quotes) indicates that text should be treated as Markdown. I checked the RFCs but don't see any reference to that, so that's why I'm saying it just seems to be common practice rather than a standard. For example, starting a message with:

%md ##This message is in **Markdown**!

would cause the message to be interpreted in Markdown. That's one option.

JohnF

Hi All,

We do support markdown in email, as outlined here: https://beta.groups.io/g/main/message/1318

You'll be forgiven for not knowing about this, since it's so obscure and supported by (I believe) exactly one email client. :-)

Note that we don't do any conversions of those messages before we send them out (so all email recipients see the original markdown when viewing the message in their clients), but we do display them correctly on the website.

Conversely, if you have your Editor Preference set to Markdown and you compose a message on the website, we send that out with both HTML and plain text parts.

Like I said in the referenced message, I'm happy to add support for flagging a message as markdown if we can agree on the magic word/set of characters. If we do, I think it probably makes sense to convert those messages to HTML before sending them out to the group (ie change the current behavior). This would definitely be a niche thing, (for amongst other reasons) because I'm not sure it's even possible to force Gmail and the other web-based clients to send out just a plain text email anymore.

Bill Costa

I think it probably makes sense to convert those messages to HTML before sending them out to the group

Yes!

This would definitely be a niche thing...

Too true, unfortunately. So pretty low on the scale of things to do I'm sure.

I'm not sure it's even possible to force Gmail and the other web-based clients to send out just a plain text email anymore.

Still can with Gmail and Outlook. But those days may be numbered! sigh.

Markdown has become the preferred format for many geeks, particularly those still using a plain text email client. As such, perhaps this is a problem better solved locally at the email client side. That is, compose in Markdown and have your own client do the filtering into HTML before sending it out the door. But know this -- I appreciate the support already added to this platform. Thanks!