Topics

moderated #bug Gio iCal feed errors making GCal mad #bug #fixed

Dave Huseby <dhuseby@...>

Hello,

The Hyperledger community uses Groups.io for all of our mailing lists and community managed calendars. We like to use the .ics feeds from groups.io to populate a GCal plugin on our Confluence wiki. We're finding that GCal fails to render all of the events in the feed. I ran our iCal feed through an ics validator and found tons of errors:

After checking with the ics standard ( https://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc5545 ) it seems like the feed rendered by Groups.io is formatted correctly but the dates in the DTSTART and DTEND parameters seem way off (2017 and 2018). I suspect that the errors are what is causing GCal to refuse to render all of our events but there doesn't seem to be a pattern in that GCal doesn't like.

I would appreciate any help you can give us because we're facing the prospect of migrating back to GCal if we can't fix this soon.

Cheers!
---
David Huseby
Security Maven, Hyperledger
The Linux Foundation
+1-206-234-2392
dhuseby@...

Hello,

On Fri, Mar 20, 2020 at 6:01 PM Dave Huseby <dhuseby@...> wrote:

The Hyperledger community uses Groups.io for all of our mailing lists and community managed calendars. We like to use the .ics feeds from groups.io to populate a GCal plugin on our Confluence wiki. We're finding that GCal fails to render all of the events in the feed. I ran our iCal feed through an ics validator and found tons of errors:

The issue was with a duplicate 'RRULE:' for events that repeated yearly. I've fixed it and that ICS file is now readable in GCal.

Thanks,
MarkĀ

Dave Huseby <dhuseby@...>

Hi Mark,

Thank you so much for your quick response to my bug report. It looks like the issue has been completely fixed but I'm following up with members of our community to confirm that it is. Thank you again, this is wonderful.

Cheers!
---