Topics

moderated Emails auto-forwarded from yahoo mbox to group loose their original From: header #bug

Jim Avera

Not certain this is a bug rather than an unavoidable limitation.  My expectations might be unrealistic :-)

If an email account is set up to auto-forward to a GIO group, then the resulting messages appear to be from the forwarding email mbox, not the original sender.   Consequently, a "reply" to the post goes to the forwarding mbox and just loops back to the group (and I suspect that GIO is checking subscriber privs based on the forwarding mbox instead of the original source mbox).  In the web interface, I see a From: header referring to the forwarding mbox,  and the only reference to the actual originator is in a Return-Path: header.

This is different than when forwarding to an ordinary email address (at least a gmail address); then the From: header still refers to the original sender and a "reply" does the right thing.  When the forwarding mbox is at yahoo, an additional X-Yahoo-Forwarded: From (forwarding mbox) To (final recipient) header is included (I don't know how forwarded-from-gmail messages look).

GIO's SMTP server or something must be re-writing headers in a way which defeats forwarding like this.

WHY DO I WANT THIS, you might ask?  We formerly used an ordinary email mailbox for group messages; a "moderator" simply read the messages at that email account and forwarded them to the "subscribers".    Now we are switching to GIO, and I want to make the old "posting email address" auto-forward to the group, so users will not have to learn a new posting address, and so existing user instructions will still be correct enough to be usable.

(Thanks for all the great work!)

Bruce Bowman

On Sun, Mar 15, 2020 at 11:27 PM, Jim Avera wrote:
If an email account is set up to auto-forward to a GIO group, then the resulting messages appear to be from the forwarding email mbox, not the original sender.   Consequently, a "reply" to the post goes to the forwarding mbox and just loops back to the group (and I suspect that GIO is checking subscriber privs based on the forwarding mbox instead of the original source mbox).
Jim -- Consider setting up an email integration for your group and have the forwarder send it's messages to that.

Regards,
Bruce

Jim Avera

On Mon, Mar 16, 2020 at 07:15 AM, Bruce Bowman wrote:
Jim -- Consider setting up an email integration for your group and have the forwarder send it's messages to that.
Ah,perfect!  (the From: and ReplyTo: headers point back to the originating sender).  Thanks for the tip.

P.S. Is there a convention for marking a topic (like this one) "closed" or "solved"?

Jim Avera

Ah,perfect!  (the From: and ReplyTo: headers point back to the originating sender).
Not so perfect after all!   This is an announce-only group, so only messages sent by moderators should get posted.  But ANY message from any user gets posted.

So the "email integration" thing is not usable except for completely-open groups.

Duane

On Mon, Mar 16, 2020 at 12:38 PM, Jim Avera wrote:
But ANY message from any user gets posted.
Another but, only if they have the specific email address assigned to the integration.  Highly unlikely that someone would accidentally create that address.  And you could also set the #email hashtag that will be assigned to them as moderated for a backup plan.

Duane

Jim Avera

On Mon, Mar 16, 2020 at 11:03 AM, Duane wrote:
  On Mon, Mar 16, 2020 at 12:38 PM, Jim Avera wrote:
     But ANY message from any user gets posted.
Another but, only if they have the specific email address assigned to the integration.  Highly unlikely that someone would accidentally create that address.
The point is we have an *existing* email address used to "send messages to the list" (in the old system), and I want messages sent there to go out in the new GIO list.  But only if the sender is authorized to post (this screening function used to be performed by a human, and now is supposed to be automatic with GIO).

The existing email is not secret.  So the original sender MUST be validated before posting messages received via that original posting mbox.

P.S. I don't see any way to "assign to the integration" our existing email address.  The only option I see is to generate a new email address of the form groupname+int+gobbledegook@groups.io and forward our existing mbox to that.  Which defeats all posting security AFAICT.   If I'm missing something here please reply -- I don't understand how the "email integration" can be very useful for announce-only groups.  Thanks.

Bruce Bowman

On Mon, Mar 16, 2020 at 11:54 PM, Jim Avera wrote:
The point is we have an *existing* email address used to "send messages to the list" (in the old system), and I want messages sent there to go out in the new GIO list.  But only if the sender is authorized to post (this screening function used to be performed by a human, and now is supposed to be automatic with GIO).

The existing email is not secret.  So the original sender MUST be validated before posting messages received via that original posting mbox.
Jim -- I guess I don't understand the problem. Clearly, what we're talking about is not a bug...at worst, it's a missing feature.

Please post to GMF and perhaps we can help you there. I have further suggestions but don't want to extend what amounts to an off-topic thread.

Regards,
Bruce