moderated Hashtag OFF switch(es) #suggestion

Michael Pavan

Simple switch(es) to turn off all Hashtags in our group(s).
Groups.io worked without Hashtags.

This should be an Opt-In 'feature',
or at least have an Opt-Out option(s) that don't require Workarounds and continuing extra work (Moderation).

Anyone who wants to use Hashtags should, but why force others?

My groups use: Messages/Topics archive, Calendar, Photos, and Files.
We do not use: Hashtags, Polls, Chats, Databases, Wiki, Subgroups, or Integrations (RSS).

Our only 'use' for Hashtags is in Calendar in order to Moderate and remove them,
ALONG with unwanted prefixes e.g. "Upcoming Event: " and repetitive Date and Time elements
(which should also be able to be turned off)

We don't send out a Guidelines yet, but would also Moderate the Hashtags off.
I would move them from Message footers, but Guidelines functions similarly to Calendar.

Chris Jones

On Sun, Mar 15, 2020 at 03:52 AM, Michael Pavan wrote:
Anyone who wants to use Hashtags should, but why force others?
Who, exactly, is "forced" to use hashtags?

Chris

Thomas Gruber

Everyone - for example in this group . See „new group Charter“.

But there are good reasons for this. I think this setting should remain a decision of the group owner.

Thomas

Chris Jones

On Sun, Mar 15, 2020 at 08:32 AM, Thomas Gruber wrote:
Everyone - for example in this group
Indeed so, and for perfectly proper reasons, but it doesn't force any other group to use the things. IMHO it is perfectly straightforward to prevent the use of hashtags now without asking Mark to provide a kill switch.

Chris

Chris, you worte:

Indeed so, and for perfectly proper reasons, but it doesn't force any other group to use the things. IMHO it is perfectly straightforward to prevent the use of hashtags now without asking Mark to provide a kill switch.

What really bothers me about the unwanted hashtags, is the fact that they show up and establish themselves on the start page with each calender event. I have asked about this in GMF, but there was no solution suggested.

Victoria

Chris Jones

On Sun, Mar 15, 2020 at 10:44 AM, Victoria wrote:
What really bothers me about the unwanted hashtags, is the fact that they show up and establish themselves on the start page with each calender event.
Ah... what you are concerned about are System Hashtags, or at least a sub - set of them.

Not quite the same as "hashtags" in general.

Chris

Duane

On Sun, Mar 15, 2020 at 05:44 AM, Victoria wrote:
What really bothers me about the unwanted hashtags, is the fact that they show up and establish themselves on the start page with each calender event.
Have a look at the topic https://groups.io/g/GroupManagersForum/topic/71935945 for a way to prevent the hashtags from being included/added.  Michael (OP) has developed this work around, but it takes extra time to moderate/change the messages, so that's why he's asking to be able to turn off hashtags completely.

Duane

Duane,

So I´ll try to do that this work around.

Hope it works.

Victoria

Michael Pavan

Chris,

On Sun, Mar 15, 2020 at 03:52 AM, Michael Pavan wrote:
Anyone who wants to use Hashtags should, but why force others?
Who, exactly, is "forced" to use hashtags?
Groups.io automatically adds hashtags to Calendar notices.
There is no controls to prevent that, only Hashtag Moderation workarounds...

OK, "imposed" would have been better verbiage to describe this.

Michael

Michael Pavan

To clarify:

Simple switch(es) to turn off imposed (so called 'System') Hashtags.

Of course, any group should be able to require whatever hashtags they desire to be used in their group(s).

On Sun, Mar 15, 2020 at 10:17 PM, Michael Pavan wrote:
To clarify:

Simple switch(es) to turn off imposed (so called 'System') Hashtags.
Quite; I eventually worked out that those were the real subject of both this and the corresponding GMF thread; it is far from clear there as well.

Chris