Topics

moderated Move Default Sub Settings onto Main Settings Page #suggestion

Bruce Bowman

Many creators of new groups fail to fill out the Default Sub Settings. Later, when they discover that all their current subscribers are on the "wrong" time zone (or whatever), they find themselves needing to retroactively (and painstakingly) fix this setting for everybody, one by one.

To head that off, I suggest that Default Sub Settings be moved to its own block within the main group Settings page...or if not all of it, at least those portions that relate to time and date.

Thanks for your consideration.

Bruce

Ann Wild

Bruce, i totally support your suggestion. But there does not appear to be a way for an owner to change the time setting "one by one," as you suggested.  I tried and couldn't do it.  If I could make individual changes, I would be willing, though it would take a great amount of time.  Duane says each member has to make their own individual change. How unfortunate that I initially missed that setting!

Michael Pavan

On Mar 4, 2020, at 8:32 PM, Bruce Bowman <@BruceBowman> wrote:

Many creators of new groups fail to fill out the Default Sub Settings. Later, when they discover that all their current subscribers are on the "wrong" time zone (or whatever), they find themselves needing to retroactively (and painstakingly) fix this setting for everybody, one by one.

To head that off, I suggest that Default Sub Settings be moved to its own block within the main group Settings page...or if not all of it, at least those portions that relate to time and date.
Agree.

PLUS the Default Sub Setting's default should be that of the group's creator as the logical place to start from (not California's).
Many/most groups are all in their creator's time zone, and most creators would likely prefer their members begin with those settings.
Of course, some groups are in more than one time zone (and outlier members will have to adjust theirs).

BETTER YET,
prompt Groups.io accounts (email address) to set (or verify) their time zone before they join each group,
and if that group is set for a different time zone, have them choose which time zone they want for that group.

Bruce wrote:

Many creators of new groups fail to fill out the Default Sub Settings. ...
To head that off, I suggest that Default Sub Settings be moved to its own block within the main group Settings page...

I think that would lead to more trouble and confusion, both because it would make the Settings page even longer and because it would be mixing to conceptually different types of controls. I don't think defaults for member subscription settings belong mixed in with group settings.

It would be better, I think, to find a way to draw the new group owner's attention to the Default Sub Settings tab.

Perhaps a new group could have a green banner at the top of (each tab of) the Settings page with Settings, Default Sub Settings, Cover Photo, and Member Notices listed as bullet points under a heading reminding the user to review each tab (but not Export Group Data, and I'm really unclear on the Member Sync tab that seems to come and go). As the Update (or whatever) button is used in each tab that bullet item would be removed, until all four are removed and the banner itself goes away. In the banner, each bullet point could have a short phrase or sentence to indicate what that tab is all about.

... or if not all of it, at least those portions that relate to time and date.

I like this better. Those settings are arguably misplaced among the new member subscription defaults, as they initialize new user accounts instead. This does cause some confusion. Some new group owners do not have a firm understanding of the distinction between a member's subscription to (membership in) their group versus that member's account at Groups.io.

The settings don't really belong among the group settings either, but at least there are fewer of them so they wouldn't overload that tab so badly.

Shal

Michael,

PLUS the Default Sub Setting's default should be that of the group's creator as the logical place to start from (not California's).

I like this idea, where the default account settings (time zone and display) are concerned.

prompt Groups.io accounts (email address) to set (or verify) their time zone before they join each group,
and if that group is set for a different time zone, have them choose which time zone they want for that group.

Each user has a single time zone setting (in their account), not one per group membership. I think expanding this to one per group would be too confusing for the users.

Maybe the user could be alerted to the fact that the group's Default Sub Setting for time zone differs from his/hers. A banner on their Subscription page perhaps, with a link to their Account Preferences?

But that wouldn't affect users that are Direct Added, or who accept an Invitation by email, or who +subscribe by email - until or unless they visit their Subscription page for that group.

Shal