Topics

moderated Problem with Time Change for Digest #bug

Ann Wild

In a recent change, Mark wrote, "Now, we force a digest to be created at 6AM local time for each subscriber, based on their timezone...."  That, however, is not happening for us in the EST time zone.  The last three digests we have gotten have been time-stamped after 9 AM EST, which appears they were sent out on PST time, not EST local time.

Our group has a lot of early risers and posters, so the new later digest after 9 AM EST is a problem.  If it were to arrive close to 6 AM, as I thought it would based on Mark's change, that would fine.  But that's not happening, and we are getting fewer messages.

Prior to the change, the digest that was sent out at 10:30 PST would be time-stamped for us around 3:40 AM EST, which was 5, not 3, hours ahead. I never figured that out given that individual messages are always posted intermediately.

On Wed, Mar 4, 2020 at 11:47 AM Ann Wild via Groups.Io <annlwild=aol.com@groups.io> wrote:
In a recent change, Mark wrote, "Now, we force a digest to be created at 6AM local time for each subscriber, based on their timezone...."  That, however, is not happening for us in the EST time zone.  The last three digests we have gotten have been time-stamped after 9 AM EST, which appears they were sent out on PST time, not EST local time.

Please check to make sure that your timezone is set to EST. You can do that through the Preferences page in your Account.

Prior to the change, the digest that was sent out at 10:30 PST would be time-stamped for us around 3:40 AM EST, which was 5, not 3, hours ahead. I never figured that out given that individual messages are always posted intermediately.
_._,_._,_
It was arriving around 3:40 AM EST because the process that forced digest generation was taking hours to complete (it started at 10:30PM PST). Switching to this new system, along with a bunch of optimizations I did means that digests should go out pretty close to on the hour that they're forced.

Ann Wild

Mark, I just changed the timezone to EST for my own account and for the Default Sub Settings for the group, but the latter only applies to new users.  Is there no way to reset the timezone for the group?  I, unfortunately, missed changing PST to EST in the Default Sub Settings when I set up the group.  The real issue is this: Is there anything I can do to make the 6 AM digest come out at 6 AM EST for all our group members? Thanks.

Duane

On Wed, Mar 4, 2020 at 04:34 PM, Ann Wild wrote:
Is there anything I can do to make the 6 AM digest come out at 6 AM EST for all our group members?
There's nothing you can do for the others except have them sign in and go to https://groups.io/account?page=prefs to change their timezone to EST (before the time change on Sunday ;>).

Duane