Topics

moderated After deleting member, that member can't request re-subscription (gets "That email addr already registered") #bug

Jim Avera

1.  Member is deleted by owner using the web interface.
2.  The former member goes to the group home page and clicks "Apply for membership in this group"
3.  Upon entering their email address and clicking "Confirm Email Address", they get an error:

That email address is already registered. To use it, Log In.

If they click the "Log In" link they are prompted for a password, then logged in but have "no subscriptions".

Duane

On Mon, Mar 2, 2020 at 03:09 PM, Jim Avera wrote:
If they click the "Log In" link they are prompted for a password, then logged in but have "no subscriptions"
AFTER they log in, they should click the Apply for membership button.  All appears to be working as it should be.  BTW, this is the type of question that should be addressed on GMF since it's not a bug, nor a suggestion.

On Mon, Mar 2, 2020 at 03:50 PM, Duane wrote:
BTW, this is the type of question that should be addressed on GMF since it's not a bug, nor a suggestion.
I feel like I should clarify this.  That should really say "could be addressed...".  At the same time, I can see where it could be interpreted as a suggestion (though Mark approved it as a bug) - make the information more clear to the user that they need to apply after logging in when they already have an account.

I also feel like I need to apologize for possibly giving the impression that I was speaking for GIO in my reply.  It was a personal opinion and I didn't state that.

Duane

Jim Avera

On Mon, Mar 2, 2020 at 01:50 PM, Duane wrote:
AFTER they log in, they should click the Apply for membership button.  All appears to be working as it should be.
No, the user was offered an "Apply for Membership" button, and clicking it should apply for membership.

Whether or not an old account exists, the subscription-confirmation process is the same, i.e. a request is sent to the owner/moderators, who approve it, and the user gets a Welcome email back.

Making them log into their old GIO account, which they probably don't know exists and don't care about, makes a simple operation complicated and unintelligible for non-tech-savvy people (which describes many people likely to join my group, sad to say).

OTOH, one valid reason to force the user to login to the old account, would be if simply having a GIO account is intended to prevent anyone else from submitting subscription requests in your name.  That's nice, but I would rather there be an explicit "Lock out new subscription requests while not logged in" feature; because doing that by default leads to an unpleasant experience for naive users.

-Jim

On Tue, Mar 3, 2020 at 9:23 AM Jim Avera <jim.avera@...> wrote:
On Mon, Mar 2, 2020 at 01:50 PM, Duane wrote:
AFTER they log in, they should click the Apply for membership button.  All appears to be working as it should be.
No, the user was offered an "Apply for Membership" button, and clicking it should apply for membership.

I just tested this. Click the Apply button, enter your (existing) email address, and it comes back with an error saying that email address exists and that you need to Log In. Clicking the Log In link in that error message gets you to the login screen, where after you enter your password, the group application flow continues as if you had previously been logged in, and your application is submitted. Is this not what you saw?

OTOH, one valid reason to force the user to login to the old account, would be if simply having a GIO account is intended to prevent anyone else from submitting subscription requests in your name.  That's nice, but I would rather there be an explicit "Lock out new subscription requests while not logged in" feature; because doing that by default leads to an unpleasant experience for naive users.

I'm not saying the current Join flow is the best, and I'm certainly open to suggestions for improving it, but having an option and defaulting it to allowing any rando to use your email address to apply to any group is a recipe for abuse.