moderated Missing Digest #bug

Ann Wild

Yesterday (Wednesday) we got an early digest because we were busy at 8:36 PM EST, but we never received the 3 AM digest on Thursday morning.  We always get that early AM digest.  Instead, just now we got a digest at 6:07 PM EST, which included the messages that should have been sent out early this morning.  This is the first time this has happened.  I hope it won't be repeated because it delays the posting of messages.

Duane

On Thu, Feb 27, 2020 at 05:48 PM, Ann Wild wrote:
Yesterday (Wednesday) we got an early digest because we were busy at 8:36 PM EST, but we never received the 3 AM digest on Thursday morning.  We always get that early AM digest.  Instead, just now we got a digest at 6:07 PM EST, which included the messages that should have been sent out early this morning.  This is the first time this has happened.
Probably by design.  It sounds to me like you may not understand how the digests work.  Not everyone will get a digest at the same time.  It all depends on which messages they choose to receive in it (first, following, etc.)  Someone that chooses to only get the first message of each topic may only get the 'forced' digest.  Someone that chooses to receive all messages may get 2 or 3 digests in the same time frame.  It's also been stated that there's a timing function so that if someone has received a digest recently, another one won't be sent at the (current) 10:30 pm PST job (though 'recently' hasn't been defined as far as I know.)  The only way to be sure you get all messages at some known time is to receive all individual messages.  Then you should receive them shortly after they are posted.  Mark has mentioned previously that he may change the 'force' time, but hasn't so far.  Even that won't change the fact that you may not get a digest at a specific time.

Duane

Ann Wild

I don't understand your reply and searched the wiki to see if I have missed something.  The digest options for our group are two: full featured digest and summary.  The digest bundles topics (the list shows the topics and the number of messages on each topic in parentheses), and when the total number of messages reaches 20, we get a digest immediately that shows all 20 messages.  If we had a digest during the day because we were active, we always got an early morning digest with the remaining messages of the previous day.  It has always worked that way since we moved to groups.io in October---with the exception of the other day.  The summary is a list of messages posted once a day.  I don't see the various options for the digest that you mention.

Ann Wild

Sorry for my mistake.  I know each digest has 12 messages, not 20.  But my question remains.

On Thu, Feb 27, 2020 at 3:48 PM Ann Wild via Groups.Io <annlwild=aol.com@groups.io> wrote:
Yesterday (Wednesday) we got an early digest because we were busy at 8:36 PM EST, but we never received the 3 AM digest on Thursday morning.  We always get that early AM digest.  Instead, just now we got a digest at 6:07 PM EST, which included the messages that should have been sent out early this morning.  This is the first time this has happened.  I hope it won't be repeated because it delays the posting of messages.

My guess is that there was less than 6 hours between the 8:36pm EST digest and when we started the 10:30pm PST forcing digest run.

Please also see the message I just posted about digest changes.

Bruce Bowman

On Fri, Feb 28, 2020 at 12:31 PM, Ann Wild wrote:
If we had a digest during the day because we were active, we always got an early morning digest with the remaining messages of the previous day.  It has always worked that way since we moved to groups.io in October---with the exception of the other day.
My guess is that there simply were no messages remaining to be sent. If nothing has been posted to the group in the interval between the previous 12-message digest and when the nightly job runs, groups.io does not generate and send an empty digest.

Bruce