Topics

moderated Calendar: Allow "Last [day of week] of month" for repeating events #suggestion

webminder@...

I have an event that is held on the last Tuesday of every month, but unfortunately, I cannot create a repeating event to cover the entire year because the options to repeat currently are on the number'd day of the month, or the same week of every month (ex: 4th Tuesday of the month).  Some months may have 4 weeks with that day of the week, while others may have 5.

Bonus points if you can easily exclude certain occurrences of the event during the event creation.  (Ex: Last Tuesday of the month for all months except June & December)

Jan Long

I would love to see something like this as well.  One of my groups has something that goes out on the last day of the month, and right now I'm having to send it manually.  The only way I can think to get it on the calendar is to set it up for each month individually, on that month's last day, then have it repeat on a yearly basis.  But that still leaves the problem of February.  It would be a great help to have a last-day-of-the-month option.

~Jan

On Wednesday, February 26, 2020, 01:25:59 PM PST, webminder@w4bfb.org <webminder@w4bfb.org> wrote:

I have an event that is held on the last Tuesday of every month, but unfortunately, I cannot create a repeating event to cover the entire year because the options to repeat currently are on the number'd day of the month, or the same week of every month (ex: 4th Tuesday of the month).  Some months may have 4 weeks with that day of the week, while others may have 5.

Bonus points if you can easily exclude certain occurrences of the event during the event creation.  (Ex: Last Tuesday of the month for all months except June & December)

Duane

On Wed, Feb 26, 2020 at 07:35 PM, Jan Long wrote:
One of my groups has something that goes out on the last day of the month, and right now I'm having to send it manually.  The only way I can think to get it on the calendar is to set it up for each month individually, on that month's last day, then have it repeat on a yearly basis.
Last day of every month is fairly easy.  Set up the event for the first day of the (following) month and repeat monthly, then set it to send a reminder 1 day before it occurs.  Also, don't send a notice when the event does occur.  That should do what you want unless I misunderstood something.

Duane

dave w

Ditto- except to appear on days of the month, not dates.
First and Third Sunday for instance.
When I set up monthly repeats it defaults to the 'date' used and then applies it to a week day- not pretty.
Thanks

On Wed, Feb 26, 2020 at 1:25 PM <webminder@...> wrote:

I have an event that is held on the last Tuesday of every month, but unfortunately, I cannot create a repeating event to cover the entire year because the options to repeat currently are on the number'd day of the month, or the same week of every month (ex: 4th Tuesday of the month).  Some months may have 4 weeks with that day of the week, while others may have 5.

How would you change the interface to allow specifying this?

Malcolm Austen

On Thu, 27 Feb 2020 18:05:15 -0000, Mark Fletcher <markf@corp.groups.io> wrote:

On Wed, Feb 26, 2020 at 1:25 PM <webminder@...> wrote:

I have an event that is held on the last Tuesday of every month, but unfortunately, I cannot create a repeating event to cover the entire year because the options to repeat currently are on the number'd day of the month, or the same week of every month (ex: 4th Tuesday of the month).  Some months may have 4 weeks with that day of the week, while others may have 5.

How would you change the interface to allow specifying this?
I don't remember where but I have seen it done programatically by allowing the 5th Xday to be chosen and then interpreting it as the 4th when there is no 5th.

Malcolm.

--
Malcolm Austen <malcolm.austen@...>

Dave Wade

Mark,

Yahoo simply allowed “repeat monthly” and “last Tuesday” as an option

Dave

I have an event that is held on the last Tuesday of every month, but unfortunately, I cannot create a repeating event to cover the entire year because the options to repeat currently are on the number'd day of the month, or the same week of every month (ex: 4th Tuesday of the month).  Some months may have 4 weeks with that day of the week, while others may have 5.

How would you change the interface to allow specifying this?

Andy Wedge

On Wed, Feb 26, 2020 at 09:24 PM, <webminder@...> wrote:
I cannot create a repeating event to cover the entire year because the options to repeat currently are on the number'd day of the month, or the same week of every month (ex: 4th Tuesday of the month).
You can achieve this with a bit of playing around.  Here are the steps I used for something similar (working from today's date):

  • Create an event on Tuesday March 24th (that's the 4th Tuesday - trust me)
  • Set the following: Repeats: Monthly; Repeat every: 1; Repeat by day of the week
  • Save the event
  • Go through the calendar and for any event that is not on the last Tuesday:
  • Edit the event and change the date to the last Tuesday (March, June, September & December)
  • Click the Update Event button and select on this event.
Any event where you change the date is effectively taken out of the repeating series so if you need to update any other details, you need to do them individually.

Hopefully this helps until we get a better solution.

Andy

Bill Burns

Google calendar is similar. You just create a monthly event on the appropriate day in the current month (today is the last Wednesday in February, for example), and it provides the two choices shown in the attached screencap.

Bill