Topics

moderated Remove the ID column in databases #suggestion

Hi All,

In each database, there is an ID column, assigned automatically, starting from 1 and monotonically increasing for each row. It seems that this column leads to some confusion, especially for databases that are edited frequently.

I'm thinking that maybe I should remove that row? Opinions?

lloyd lehrer

Just allow it to be hidden.

lloyd lehrer

On Thu, Feb 20, 2020, 9:11 AM Mark Fletcher <markf@corp.groups.io> wrote:
Hi All,

In each database, there is an ID column, assigned automatically, starting from 1 and monotonically increasing for each row. It seems that this column leads to some confusion, especially for databases that are edited frequently.

I'm thinking that maybe I should remove that row? Opinions?

On Thu, Feb 20, 2020 at 11:11 AM, Mark Fletcher wrote:
Opinions?
I can work with it either way.  Most of the time I don't use it, but it can be handy for seeing which order the items were added in some cases.  How about another option, move it to the right side, out of the way?

Mark,

I'm thinking that maybe I should remove that [column]? Opinions?

Or, convert it to a permalink icon on each row that shows the ID number as a tooltip. Possibly moved to the right as Duane suggested. Preserving its usability as a sorting key to put the rows in creation order.

Shal

Mark, I think you mean "remove that column." I recalled suggesting this in the past, and I found the thread:
https://beta.groups.io/g/main/topic/1763947#8385
It seems the conclusion (using the term loosely) was to keep the #'s but make them visible only to mods.

Bob Schrempp

I find a record number useful, make it only visible to a moderator or make it so it can be turned on or off (shown or not shown).

Bob

Alex Stone

Sorry to be a boring old programmer, but I’ve always found it useful to have an Id column in a database.

On 20 Feb 2020, at 17:11, Mark Fletcher <markf@corp.groups.io> wrote:

Hi All,

In each database, there is an ID column, assigned automatically, starting from 1 and monotonically increasing for each row. It seems that this column leads to some confusion, especially for databases that are edited frequently.

I'm thinking that maybe I should remove that row? Opinions?

Charles Roberts

I agree.  Many times I put it on the right side and hide it from my user.....but it's nice to know it's always there when I want it.

On Feb 20, 2020 2:23 PM, "Alex Stone via Groups.Io" <alexstone87@...> wrote:
Sorry to be a boring old programmer, but I’ve always found it useful to have an Id column in a database.

On 20 Feb 2020, at 17:11, Mark Fletcher <markf@corp.groups.io> wrote:

Hi All,

In each database, there is an ID column, assigned automatically, starting from 1 and monotonically increasing for each row. It seems that this column leads to some confusion, especially for databases that are edited frequently.

I'm thinking that maybe I should remove that row? Opinions?

Bob Bellizzi

It might be usable if the Database controlling person could
specify the indexing interval at DB initiation and also
request reindex & interval at later times
--

Bob Bellizzi

Larry Finch

On Thu, Feb 20, 2020 at 12:11 PM Mark Fletcher <markf@corp.groups.io> wrote:
Hi All,

In each database, there is an ID column, assigned automatically, starting from 1 and monotonically increasing for each row. It seems that this column leads to some confusion, especially for databases that are edited frequently.

I'm thinking that maybe I should remove that row? Opinions?

Well, putting on my DBA hat, relational database theory requires that there be no duplicate rows in a database table. As you can’t control what people put into a row, the ID column assures that every row will be unique. For simple databases of a few tables with no complex joins it probably doesn’t matter, but it’s safest to have the ID column. Another rule of relational databases is that there is no intrinsic order to the rows in a table, so if you want to impose order the ID column or something similar (a date-time column, for example) is essential to have. As an example, select * from mytable is not required to return the rows in the same order every time. If order matters the SQL is select * from mytable order by ID.

Larry
--
Larry Finch

N 40° 53' 50"
W 74° 02' 55"

dave w

On Fri, Feb 21, 2020 at 06:11 AM, Mark Fletcher wrote:
I'm thinking that maybe I should remove that row? Opinions?
An indexing method is most definitely required IMHO.
Haven't made any form of dbase or excel sheet without it. Sure on IOG there no 'programmable' reference but surely easier to instruct 'go to #23' than have to create them manually.
regards dave

Steph Mathews

Yeah, I would remove it.

Have a blessed day!  Steph

In each database, there is an ID column, assigned automatically, starting from 1 and monotonically increasing for each row. It seems that this column leads to some confusion, especially for databases that are edited frequently.

I'm thinking that maybe I should remove that row? Opinions?

Nina Eppes

I would love to be able to permanently hide the ID column, which I don't use in my database table of chorus members.

If the ID column is hidden, would tables still be sorted by ID number by default? When I add a new member to my table, they get assigned the next sequential ID number. By default, the table is sorted by ID number, so new members appear at the end. However, I prefer to sort my table by the Last Name column, and whenever I add new members, I have to click the Last Name column to see all the members in alphabetical order by last name. Would it be possible to designate a default column to sort by if the ID column is hidden?

- Nina

Jim Wilson

I would be fine with hiding it but, as you know, activity in a database references the row id and, as another has pointed out, uniquely identifies an individual row which is often necessary and very helpful.

What I would rather dearly appreciate is the ability to click directly to an id number from the activity log to see exactly what change has been made.

Jim

Michelle Lucas

For our dog rescue group, we find the ID number very useful in that it provides integrity for our information, and it gives us an automatic count of the number of dogs that we rescue each year. I would really prefer giving people the option of hiding the ID column and also having the ability to choose a default  'sort-by' column.
Thank you!
Michelle

Ginny T.

In a perfect world, I would love to have it there but able to be hidden - and that toggle be "sticky", so that the moderator (or table owner) could toggle it as needed, but the last choice would hold until it was changed again.

Ginny
--
Ginny T.  gttemari21@...
========