Topics

moderated Restrict "Set Moderator Privileges" Permission #suggestion #done

Chris Jones

On Sun, Feb 16, 2020 at 08:21 PM, Glenn Glazer wrote:
Wow, I did not get any of that at all from Chris' email.
Thank you. :)

I will not dignify #24226 by responding to it.

Chris

Hi All,

I've made the following changes:

- Moderators can no longer change the roles of owners.
- Moderators can no longer change the subscription settings of owners.
- The `/updatemember` API call now returns new errors if you attempt one of the above things.

Please let me know if you have any questions or see anything amiss.

Glenn Glazer

Wow, I did not get any of that at all from Chris' email.  Discussing how GMF works is objectively off-topic for beta, which is to discuss features for groups.io.

Best,

Glenn

On 2/16/2020 12:14, txercoupemuseum.org wrote:
“...wildly off - topic for beta”.  Ahhh, the not-so-hidden sneer of the superior to the inferior.  The polite way to remind someone to not forget their “place" in the overall scheme of things and demand “rights” to speak as necessary to the intended purpose.

When the “guardians” within GMF act as advocates or so as discourage empirical discussion, who guards the guardians”? Only [beta] and Groups.io can intervene when and if that becomes necessary.  Do we, mere owners, REALLY need ask for that to be a [beta] hashtag?  If so, consider that done right now by me.

We are reminded again and again that GMF is “peer to peer” and not part of Groups.io.  It doesn’t always exhibit that “floor and feel”.  “Position posts” by a moderator or founder are not inherently more credible.

No one has proposed moderators are not necessary.  They need to remember their function is that of police, not judges.  They should NOT intimidate verbally nor act with conspicuous bias.  In “peer to peer” debate they should leave their “official function and uniform” at the door and come in as intellectually naked as the rest of us.  ;<)

Best!

WRB

—

On Feb 16, 2020, at 1:23 PM, Chris Jones via Groups.Io <chrisjones12@...> wrote:

On Sun, Feb 16, 2020 at 06:37 PM, Charles Roberts wrote:
The GMF is supposed to be a place for Owners to go to seek help.  <snip>  Supposed to be Owners helping Owners, but rarely is a question answered by someone other than a "Moderator".
Although this is wildly off - topic for beta one reason is that many Group Owners on GMF only go there to pose a question and look at the responses; they don't go there to try to help others and generally see what is going on. They are only interested in their own problems and not anyone else's.

Take away the moderators and see what happens...

Chris

--
PG&E Delenda Est

txercoupemuseum.org

[...]

_._,_._,_

Glenn Glazer

On 2/16/2020 11:57, Chris Jones via Groups.Io wrote:
On Sun, Feb 16, 2020 at 07:52 PM, Glenn Glazer wrote:
I generally agree with what Chris is saying here, <snip> For me, personally, do I believe that GMF is a bit too strongly moderated?
Ah; a misunderstanding. I was responding to the comment that it was only moderators who answer questions on GMF. I said take away the moderators, not take away the moderation! In other words if the moderators didn't answer the questions then many questions would be either unanswered or perhaps answered incompletely or even incorrectly.

Chris

Gotcha.

Best,

Glenn

--
PG&E Delenda Est

On Sun, Feb 16, 2020 at 11:57 AM, Chris Jones wrote:
I said take away the moderators, not take away the moderation! In other words if the moderators didn't answer the questions then many questions would be either unanswered or perhaps answered incompletely or even incorrectly.
I think that's because mostly, the people in GMF rather than beta are not as knowledgeable about the product (pretty much by definition - they are sent to GMF rather than beta to ask their basic help questions). So they simply don't have the capability to answer others' questions. It's not that they are ungenerous. And while it's true that most of the moderators in GMF are more knowledgeable than most of the rank-and-file members, they don't need to be moderators, or to moderate (in whatever "moderation style" GMF has decided on), to be knowledgeable. It's their knowledge and familiarity with groups.io, rather than the fact that they are moderators, that you would not want to take away.

Chris Jones

On 2/16/2020 11:23, Chris Jones via Groups.Io wrote:
On Sun, Feb 16, 2020 at 06:37 PM, Charles Roberts wrote:
The GMF is supposed to be a place for Owners to go to seek help.  <snip>  Supposed to be Owners helping Owners, but rarely is a question answered by someone other than a "Moderator".
Although this is wildly off - topic for beta one reason is that many Group Owners on GMF only go there to pose a question and look at the responses; they don't go there to try to help others and generally see what is going on. They are only interested in their own problems and not anyone else's.

Take away the moderators and see what happens...

Chris

I generally agree with what Chris is saying here, but I will add that moderation is stylistic, just like anything else. I very strongly suspect that all of us in our own groups moderate differently than others, there is no One True Way. Moderation styles run from literally no moderation, anything goes to rather draconic approaches and a spectrum between them. In part, it depends on the group's needs and culture as it evolves and also on the personal tastes of the moderators. Welcome to the human condition.

For me, personally, do I believe that GMF is a bit too strongly moderated? Yes. But I don't complain about it because a) the right answer is, "Well, start your own group then." and I don't want to take that on and b) because I recognize the really good (and mostly thankless) work that Shal, Duane and others do, so I'm willing to put up with their style because I evaluate people holistically, not just on whatever burr happens to rub me the wrong way.

Best,

Glenn

--
PG&E Delenda Est

Chris Jones

On Sun, Feb 16, 2020 at 06:37 PM, Charles Roberts wrote:
The GMF is supposed to be a place for Owners to go to seek help.  <snip>  Supposed to be Owners helping Owners, but rarely is a question answered by someone other than a "Moderator".
Although this is wildly off - topic for beta one reason is that many Group Owners on GMF only go there to pose a question and look at the responses; they don't go there to try to help others and generally see what is going on. They are only interested in their own problems and not anyone else's.

Take away the moderators and see what happens...

Chris

Charles Roberts

What WRB said, 2x........

My Opinion:
The GMF is supposed to be a place for Owners to go to seek help.  At least that's my understanding.  Too often, an OP receives a chastation for not crossing their "I's" or dotting their "T's".....or for saying something a "Moderator" doesn't like.  Supposed to be Owners helping Owners, but rarely is a question answered by someone other than a "Moderator".  I was a Helper Responder in an old Excel Newsgroup and I know how difficult it is for Non-teckies to ask questions, let alone understand the answers given by Super-Teckies......but it's the Super-Teckie Helper Responder's obligation to make the effort to TRY to communicate, and in no way should the OP go away feeling embarrased for asking.....(even if they ask the same dumb question more than once).  Many times, in both beta and GMF,  I've personally had to delete an entire "fireback" message I'd typed in answer to some unthoughtful response......

As suggested by WRB, POLLS, (with good questions), might be a good answer for suggestions/improvements/fixes....I love data over arguments.

This is where Chuck gets down off his Soap-Box now and partakes of additional medication.
My best to all
Chuck