Topics

moderated Default database view #suggestion #done

Peter Rawbone

Oddly, it now functions on all pages, thank goodness.

--
Peter

dave w

Is this the wrong place to suggest that the user 'Action' buttons should be at the top of the table?

Wanting to give instructions to non literate users is a lot easier when they dont have to scroll to the bottom of page.
Placement may make sense for experienced users, but raw amateurs don't follow quickly.
Thanks
davew

Duane

On Fri, Feb 28, 2020 at 09:28 AM, Peter Rawbone wrote:
However, when hiding, say, the ID column only the ID’s on the current page are hidden.  If you select another page, the ID’s show until they’re hidden and so on with each page.
Peter,

I'm not seeing that.  The hidden columns stay hidden on all pages, whether I hide them by default or while looking at the table.  Of course they come back the next time I open it unless I've changed the table properties.

Duane

Peter Rawbone

I do like the ability to hide!
However, when hiding, say, the ID column only the ID’s on the current page are hidden.  If you select another page, the ID’s show until they’re hidden and so on with each page.  It would be nice if the column selected to be hidden applied to all pages.  We have in excess of 14 pages - so far!

Mark - any ideas??!!
--
Peter

Hi All,

This all should be fixed now.

On Thu, Feb 27, 2020 at 01:48 PM, Andy W wrote:
I've checked both boxes to hide the ID and Updated columns but they still show when I view my database.
Looks to me like it's only removing the headers, not the actual column contents.

Duane

Andy Wedge

On Thu, Feb 27, 2020 at 07:48 PM, Andy W wrote:
I've checked both boxes to hide the ID and Updated columns but they still show when I view my database.

As an aside, when in list mode,the column header for the Updated column is missing.
It's a bit more complex than what I thought was a missing column header.

In Map View, all columns are show despite the ID and Updated columns having the hidden checkbox set. All column buttons at the bottom are blue.

In List View, the ID and Updated values are still show on the screen, but the column headings are not. The ID and Updated columns buttons at the bottom are greyed out.  As the ID column header is not displayed so the others are shifted left by one column so everything is out of line.

Andy

Andy Wedge

On Thu, Feb 27, 2020 at 06:50 PM, Mark Fletcher wrote:

On Wed, Feb 26, 2020 at 12:07 PM, Duane wrote:

Would it be possible to include the ID and Updated columns to be hidden?

Done.

Cheers, Mark

I've checked both boxes to hide the ID and Updated columns but they still show when I view my database.

As an aside, when in list mode,the column header for the Updated column is missing.

Andy

On Wed, Feb 26, 2020 at 12:07 PM, Duane wrote:

Would it be possible to include the ID and Updated columns to be hidden?

Done.

Cheers, Mark

Duane

On Wed, Feb 26, 2020 at 12:30 PM, Mark Fletcher wrote:
Database columns now have a Default Hidden checkbox
Would it be possible to include the ID and Updated columns to be hidden?

On Mon, Feb 10, 2020 at 12:02 PM, Chris Smith wrote:

It would be really useful to be able to set a default visibility on database columns.

Database columns now have a Default Hidden checkbox, where if it's checked, the column is hidden by default.

Cheers, Mark

Chris Smith

Perhaps, as someone else suggested, truncating HTML columns at a certain height might help.

However, in our particular use case we would like to hide other columns too. We just need to be able to display a few columns, then when the user clicks on a row they can view the entire record.

Thanks,
Chris

Samuel Murrayy

On Mon, Feb 10, 2020 at 09:02 PM, Chris Smith wrote:
It would be really useful to be able to set a default visibility on database columns.
I agree, it's not always necessary to see all columns at the start.  One may wish to include certain information in the database for the sake of completeness even though that data is not the main function of the database.  It would be good if the table owner can specify which columns should be considered the "default visible" columns (and perhaps have a button "reset table to default view" so that people who showed or hid certain columns can easily revert to the table owner's preferred view), and if the system could remember an individual member's previously viewed set of columns.

The fact that the viewed columns is not remembered affected the way I designed some of my tables.  For example, I added old mails to the database, and had a separate column for sender, receiver and date, but I really wanted the body of the mail to be most visible (and the other columns only there for when the database feature starts supporting search within specific columns), but since those columns get re-visible each time the user visits the table, I have opted to simply NOT have separate columns for sender, receiver, etc.

We have a use case where we want to store a HTML page, but when you view the rows it looks a mess, as the entire HTML page is being displayed.
Hiding that column by default would be useful, but another useful feature would be to specify a default maximum height of a row (so that the cell appears truncated until the user does something, e.g. click inside the cell or select the row and select the option to view the row individually).

Samuel

On Mon, Feb 10, 2020 at 12:02 PM Chris Smith via Groups.Io <chris=comgw.co.uk@groups.io> wrote:
It would be really useful to be able to set a default visibility on database columns.
Perhaps the column width could accept -1 to make the column invisible?

We have a use case where we want to store a HTML page, but when you view the rows it looks a mess, as the entire HTML page is being displayed. Being able to make this column invisible in the row by row list of entries, and it's only viewable when you click on the row to view the individual record would be great.

While I don't have an opinion one way or another on default visibility, would it not make more sense to address whether there needs to be a new/proper way to display an entire HTML page stored in a database? Are other people storing entire HTML pages in the database? Should I change how the HTML paragraph column type behaves?

Chris Smith

It would be really useful to be able to set a default visibility on database columns.
Perhaps the column width could accept -1 to make the column invisible?

We have a use case where we want to store a HTML page, but when you view the rows it looks a mess, as the entire HTML page is being displayed. Being able to make this column invisible in the row by row list of entries, and it's only viewable when you click on the row to view the individual record would be great.

I know you can scroll to the bottom of the page and click on the column name to switch it off, but the setting doesn't persist and you can;t set this by default when creating the database.