Topics

moderated Terminology change #update

Hmm...

Bruce wrote:

Is the next step to change Subscription to Membership on the left-side
menu bar?

Personally, I think we're getting a little carried away with all this.
I think that "Subscription" there is a useful choice to make it clearly distinct, at least for moderators, from the Members page.

A distinction that I think may be semantically useful is to use "subscription" ("subscriber", etc.) in an email context, and "membership" ("member", etc.) in a web or comprehensive (both web and email) context.

Hence the Subscription page could stay "Subscription" because its controls are (almost) entirely about delivery of messages and notices to you by email.

The Members list, by contrast, is comprehensive: it controls members' activity on both web and email.

Other usages could be judged by that same criteria.

Shal

dave w

On Mon, Mar 30, 2020 at 03:48 AM, Bruce Bowman wrote:
Is the next step to change Subscription to Membership on the left-side menu bar?

Personally, I think we're getting a little carried away with all this.
I agree with you Bruce.
Subscription is a verb, it is a process one is enacting- once applied you become a 'member'. Problem solved- or at least less confusing, no reason subcriber (act of subscribing/ applying) isn't clear as same issue. A temporary or transitional clarity is good. Whether said 'person' is them a subscriber (noun) or a member is clear once the act is performed.
Don't throw baby out with the bath water,
cheers dave

ro-esp

On Sat, Mar 28, 2020 at 05:55 PM, Chris Jones wrote:

it is pretty clear that "user" is synonymous with "member"
From a semantic viewpoint, I have to disagree.

When an outsider sends a message to a group and receives the answers, that person is a user but not a member or subscriber of that group

groetjes/ĝis, Ronaldo

Chris Jones

On Sun, Mar 29, 2020 at 03:48 PM, Bruce Bowman wrote:
Personally, I think we're getting a little carried away with all this.
Part of me understands that comment, but at the same time if Mark's original our tech writer has been suggesting some changes to make things more consistent is to apply then things need to be more, er, consistent.

Chris

Bruce Bowman

On Sat, Mar 28, 2020 at 10:26 AM, Duane wrote:
For more overall consistency, shouldn't these be Pending Membership and Rejected Membership?
Is the next step to change Subscription to Membership on the left-side menu bar?

Personally, I think we're getting a little carried away with all this.

Bruce

Chris,

Help Page. To be fair it is pretty clear that "user" is synonymous
with "member" ...
Only in a group context. In an account context "user" is mora appropriate because the person may not be a member of any groups.

The uses in the Help page look correct to me, except possibly in the case of the Invite section. There the invitee may not (yet) qualify as even a user of Groups.io, so perhaps:

"We will send an email invitation to each /address/. To join the group, each /person/ simply has to click on the link within the invitation, or reply to the invitation."

/emphasis mine/

Shal

Chris Jones

On Sat, Mar 28, 2020 at 02:26 PM, Duane wrote:
For more overall consistency, shouldn't these be Pending Membership and Rejected Membership?
... which is the point I was making without actually saying it.

I have since found that the word "user" appears 6 times on the official Help Page. To be fair it is pretty clear that "user" is synonymous with "member" and prevents the word member being used to the point of exhaustion.

Chris

Duane

On Fri, Mar 27, 2020 at 11:52 AM, Chris Jones wrote:
I have just noticed that in Member Notices there are still Pending Subscription and Rejected Subscription messages.
For more overall consistency, shouldn't these be Pending Membership and Rejected Membership?

Chris Jones

On Fri, Feb 7, 2020 at 11:49 PM, Mark Fletcher wrote:
The only real change other than the group settings page is that the setting formerly known as NuM or new user moderated is now NMM, or new member moderated.
I have just noticed that in Member Notices there are still Pending Subscription and Rejected Subscription messages.

Chris

On Fri, Feb 7, 2020 at 3:56 PM Duane <txpigeon@...> wrote:

You didn't catch it on the member record where it says "Override: new user moderated" under Posting Privileges. ;>)

Good catch. Fixed!

On Fri, Feb 7, 2020 at 05:49 PM, Mark Fletcher wrote:
You didn't catch it on the member record where it says "Override: new user moderated" under Posting Privileges. ;>)

Duane

Hi All,

As part of the writing process for the manual, our tech writer has been suggesting some changes to make things more consistent. In the group settings page, for example, I use the terms users, members and subscribers for the same thing. I've changed them all to members. The only real change other than the group settings page is that the setting formerly known as NuM or new user moderated is now NMM, or new member moderated.

Thanks, Mark