Topics

moderated Bounce handler adds "is bouncing" log entry for bounce from another group, when member already blue B in the group #bug

After the 554 hard-bounce bug fix, I noticed four consecutive group-activity log entries on the same day (Feb 1) for the same member, with no intervening unbounces for that member. The member's email delivery history showed monthly bounces for the group guidelines, which is sent as a special notice, and she is a special-notice member. Three of the entries were on Feb 1 and the fourth was on Feb 4.

I believe (but am guessing and not 100% sure) that one of the log entries on Feb 1 was from a bounce of my group's guidelines, that the other two entries on Feb 1 were from bounces of group guidelines two other groups she is subscribed to with special-notice-only, and that the bounce on Feb 4 was a bounce of either a special-notice that went out from a fourth group she's in and is subscribed to via special notice, or a bounce of a regular message from a fourth group she's in and subscribed to via individual message. (I would guess the latter, since she only appeared as bouncing at all after the 554 fix.)

If my guesses are correct, the solution is a simple "if" statement that conditions sending of an "xyz is bouncing" log entry to any particular group only if the member is not already categorized as bouncing in that group.

On Wed, Feb 5, 2020 at 07:44 AM, J_Catlady wrote:
I would guess the latter,
typo, I meant "the former" - but these are guesses upon guesses.

After reconnecting with the 554 bug topic and John's original and subsequent messages, I see that the multiple log entries were the result of bounces of the bounce probes themselves, not bounces from other groups. So I'm amending this bug to say that I don't think "is bouncing" log entries should be created in a group once the member is already marked as blue "B" in the group. The email delivery history should stay complete, but there is no reason to log "is bouncing" once that has already occurred. I think the subsequent log entries should either be eliminated (they are confusing/misleading) or changed to read something along the lines of "bounced a message." The current entry (when subsequent to an already existing entry "is bouncing") sounds as if the member's status has changed, when it hasn't.

In other words, the subject of this bug should be changed to "Bounce handler adds 'is bouncing' log entry when member already blue B in the group"

Mark,

The more I think about it, the more I wonder whether the problem lies in the part of the code that handles bounces of bounce probes, rather than the part that handles bounces of group messages. In my example, the extra "is bouncing" log entries stemmed from bounces of bounce probes. IIRC (and I may not), tracking bouncing of bounce probes was a later add-on. Just a thought.

Mark,
Sorry for the dribble of thoughts. Things keep occurring to me, but I will stop after this. I think as moderators we do want to know when a bounce probe itself has bounced, so that we can not send any more of them. So perhaps a special log entry could be created called "bounced a bounce probe," or something to that effect, rather than the repeated "is bouncing" entry.

Chris Jones

On Thu, Feb 6, 2020 at 05:13 PM, J_Catlady wrote:
I think as moderators we do want to know when a bounce probe itself has bounced, so that we can not send any more of them.
Bounce Probes show up in the individual member's Email Delivery History.

Chris

On Thu, Feb 6, 2020 at 09:15 AM, Chris Jones wrote:
Bounce Probes show up in the individual member's Email Delivery History.
Yes, and that's one more reason why you don't need or want further "is bouncing" entries in the group activity log. However, a group activity log entry to the effect that the member is actually bouncing the probes themselves (without having to look in their delivery history) would be very useful. I used to click "send bounce probe" every time I saw "is bouncing." Knowing specifically (and easily) that even the probes are bouncing would be useful.

I left the bouncing member in the group so that I could see what would happen when the next bounce probe went out four days later. That was today, and sure enough, the bounce of the bounce probe generated another log entry "is bouncing" when (of course) the member's bouncing status has not changed.