Topics

moderated Option to change file uploader display name for owners and moderators #suggestion

Samuel Murrayy

Hello

As group owner, I uploaded some files to my group's Files section, and now it says (when looking at the list of files), "Uploaded By", with my own name in that column.  I don't mind that people can reach my profile page by clicking on my name, but I would prefer to have the option of seeing only "Group owner" or "Group moderator" instead of my own name.  Having my own name in that column creates the impression that I uploaded the file in my personal capacity, when in fact I only uploaded these files in preparation for the group's grand opening.

So my suggestion is that group owners and moderators should have the option to show only "Group owner" or "Group moderator" as the file uploader.  Whether clicking it would lead the user to the actual person's profile page is not a problem for me (I have no opinion either way, whatever is easier to implement).

(I understand that some group owners register a temporary group owner profile specifically to avoid this sort of thing from happening when they prepare their groups.  I also know that changing my profile page for the group will change the name in that column, so I can change my profile name to e.g. "Group owner", but then I would no longer be able to participate in the group as an ordinary member.)

Samuel

Chris Jones

On Sun, Jan 26, 2020 at 09:46 PM, Samuel Murray wrote:
I understand that some group owners register a temporary group owner profile specifically to avoid this sort of thing from happening when they prepare their groups.
I know that this isn't quite what you were saying but there is a catch if an owner uses a temporary change in their Display Name for something like this. Samuel; in your case if you changed your D/N on one of your groups to Group Owner prior to uploading a File or Photo (or posting a message) then indeed whatever you do will be attributed to Group Owner. However, if you then change your D/N back to Samuel Murray then the attribution applied to whatever you just did will promptly change from Group Owner back to Samuel Murray.

The only way around this (currently) is to have a permanent alter ego with a different email address (and thus by definition a different account) with the Display Name of Group Owner.

Chris

Christos G. Psarras

Samuel,

What Chris said, create two separate email accounts, one of the Group Owner the other for the Group Moderator, join them to your group, elevate them to owner and mod (or both owners), which can also serve as your backup accounts to the group just in case, then use whichever account for the specific task, so it will show what name you want.  And use those accounts through a different web browser, so this way you can always stay logged in with your personal owner account in your current browser, it makes admin work like this easier that way instead of logging in and out in the same browser.

Cheers,
Christos

Samuel Murrayy

On Sun, Jan 26, 2020 at 11:42 PM, Chris Jones wrote:
I know that this isn't quite what you were saying but there is a catch if an owner uses a temporary change in their Display Name for something like this. Samuel; in your case if you changed your D/N on one of your groups to Group Owner prior to uploading a File or Photo (or posting a message) then indeed whatever you do will be attributed to Group Owner. However, if you then change your D/N back to Samuel Murray then the attribution applied to whatever you just did will promptly change from Group Owner back to Samuel Murray.
Yes, I believe I said so in my post.  This is consistent with how many online forums work -- for example, on forums where my picture is displayed next to my post, on most forums it always shows my most recent picture (i.e. a post made 20 years ago will display my current face, not my face from 20 years ago), which is quite unfortunate.  So, similarly, I can understand that it is at least not *inconsistent* with global online forum usage that if someone were to change their display name from Miss Robinson to Mrs Robinson, then all files that they uploaded when they were still a Miss are then shown to have been uploaded by the Mrs.

Samuel