Topics

moderated Message # not working #bug

sarah abbott

When we put the message number in "Message #" at top of page to quickly go to a message it's not working - it doesn't go to that message,
Until a few days ago it always worked perfectly.

We use it a lot.

Sarah

On Sun, Jan 26, 2020 at 1:45 PM sarah abbott via Groups.Io <sarahprocterabbott=yahoo.co.uk@groups.io> wrote:
When we put the message number in "Message #" at top of page to quickly go to a message it's not working - it doesn't go to that message,
Until a few days ago it always worked perfectly.

Last week I changed how we fetched messages from the database, to make it more efficient. This changed how the Message # function worked. Previously, if you typed in a message number, that message would be positioned at the top of the returned page. After the change, it is not guaranteed to appear at the top of the page and most likely will appear in the middle of the page instead. I have set it so that it is now highlighted, with the blue vertical bar, so you should be able to locate it on the page.

I know this is not an ideal change. I made this change because the previous way of getting data from the database was becoming very inefficient, leading to slow page loading times. I had to fix it before it got worse and started affecting other aspects of the site.

If you are entering a message number, and it is not coming up on the page at all, please respond to me off list, with the name of the group and the message number you are trying to find.

This is a bit jarring for me the way I use Message # also.

When there are a lot of messages to read in a single group online, I like to switch to Expanded mode in Date Ascending order, so I can just leisurely scroll through them with the Page Down key. Whenever I hit the bottom of the page, then I go to the next page of messages.

The way I accomplish this is:
1. Find the message number i want to start with. As an example, I tried message number 23876 in the beta group.
2. Click on "Date" to switch to Date Ascending order. This brings up message 1.
3. Switch on Expanded mode, which shows full messages.
4. Type the message number in the Message # field, 23876 in my example case.

It used to bring up 23876 as the top message. Now it brings up 23865 as the top message. The actual message 23876 is on the page, but it is not highlighted in any way, because I'm in Expanded mode.

If it has to show 23865 at the top for the sake of the database, what I would suggest in my case is to automatically scroll down so that 23876 is shown on my screen, so I don't have to work to find it. Then I can Page Down as normal, and I could even Page Up if my message isn't the one at the top. I'll still get to the bottom and go to the next page of messages, which is what I'm used to already.

Hope that makes sense.

Thanks,
JohnF

Michael Pavan

On Jan 26, 2020, at 9:01 PM, JohnF via Groups.Io <johnf1686=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:

[...]

Still inconvenient, but rather than scrolling, try:
5. Use your browser's Find function (Command / Control and F keys) to again search for the the message number, i.e. 23876

sarah abbott

Mark

Last week I changed how we fetched messages from the database, to make it more efficient. This changed how the Message # function worked. Previously, if you typed in a message number, that message would be positioned at the top of the returned page. After the change, it is not guaranteed to appear at the top of the page and most likely will appear in the middle of the page instead. I have set it so that it is now highlighted, with the blue vertical bar, so you should be able to locate it on the page.

I know this is not an ideal change. I made this change because the previous way of getting data from the database was becoming very inefficient, leading to slow page loading times. I had to fix it before it got worse and started affecting other aspects of the site.

Thanks. Yes, that works. Not ideal, as you say, because how is anyone to know to scroll down unless they're told to do so, but once one knows, it's fine. I note # of messages to reply to at my convenience, so use this function a lot. I'm sure others do too.

Again, we really appreciate all the hard work behind the scenes. So grateful for this service! We've just had the 20th anniversary of our very active group and the switch over to io went really smoothly.

Sarah