Topics

moderated Banned not in Banned list #bug

Duane

I don't have the Past Members on my free group, but the ones I banned yesterday for the AOL weirdness are not showing in the banned list on one group (they are on another.)  The action does show in the Activity log.  I was double checking to make sure I hadn't banned a real member.

Duane

That bug goes along with this thread and is not the only problem related to banning:
https://beta.groups.io/g/main/message/23899
"In addition, sometimes a banned member is described as "banned" in the Past Members list but does not even appear in the Banned list."
The date field in the banned list is also not the date they were banned, the Notes page is missing from the member record in the Banned list, and other problems.

Leeni

Another problem I just had was it took me 3 tries to get the member I was trying to ban to show up on the ban list.

That bug goes along with this thread and is not the only problem related to banning:
https://beta.groups.io/g/main/message/23899
"In addition, sometimes a banned member is described as "banned" in the Past Members list but does not even appear in the Banned list."
The date field in the banned list is also not the date they were banned, the Notes page is missing from the member record in the Banned list, and other problems.

On Fri, Jan 24, 2020 at 08:03 AM, Leeni wrote:
Another problem I just had
Yes, essentially the same problem. They won't show up, you ban them again, and then suddenly they show up, and with some inexplicable date.

Hi All,

I just fixed an issue with banning by entering an email address (as opposed to selecting a member from the Members list and banning them using the Actions menu). Now, banning by entering an email address behaves the same way as the other banning: we keep their member notes, messages to moderators, join date, etc. Previously we did not.

I was unable to reproduce the issue of banning someone and them not appearing in the banned list. If that happens to you again, please contact me off-list with the following info: name of list, email address of person you tried to ban, and how you tried (entering their email address by hand, or by selecting them from the Members page).

Finally, I think a change should be made. Right now, when you enter an email address by hand to ban, we do not send out the Banned member notice. This is even the case when the person you are banning is a member of the group. I propose that, when you enter an email address by hand to ban, and that person is a member of the group, that the Banned member notice is sent out. This would mimic the behavior of banning someone by selecting them from the Members list.

Thanks, Mark

On Fri, Jan 24, 2020 at 10:44 AM, Mark Fletcher wrote:
Right now, when you enter an email address by hand to ban, we do not send out the Banned member notice. This is even the case when the person you are banning is a member of the group. I propose that, when you enter an email address by hand to ban, and that person is a member of the group, that the Banned member notice is sent out.
I agree that this would be correct (i.e., consistent/expected) behavior, if there's an active Banned notice, and if this applies only to members and not non-members, which is what you are saying here. So sounds good.

Now, banning by entering an email address behaves the same way as the other banning: we keep their member notes, messages to moderators, join date, etc. Previously we did not.
Great. Thanks.

I'm still trying to check on the date displayed in the Banned list. It's tricky because of all the various cases  - member, non-member, ban by entering email address, ban by selected action from dropdown. In the couple of cases I tried just now, it's correct.

John Pearce

We have had a Bunch of aol new members.  It seems strange to me.  What is the aol weirdness you speak of?

John

Duane

On Sat, Jan 25, 2020 at 01:44 PM, John Pearce wrote:
What is the aol weirdness you speak of?
See https://beta.groups.io/g/main/topic/70062502

Duane

On Fri, Jan 24, 2020 at 10:44 AM, Mark Fletcher wrote:
Now, banning by entering an email address behaves the same way as the other banning: we keep their member notes, messages to moderators, join date, etc. Previously we did not.
Mark,

1. Bad news: this is still not working. I just banned someone using their email address, and their notes are gone in the banned list.

2. There is a further remaining mismatch: the banned list contains the banned member's email delivery history, but their "history" shown in the past members list does not. (This is not a biggie, but the mismatch is still disconcerting.)

3. While I'm at it, a suggestion: the banned list provides checkboxes and actions, but the past members list does not. It would be helpful to add actions to the past members list. For example, you might remove someone and decide only later to ban them. But currently, you can't ban someone from the past members list; the only way to ban a past member (who was not banned at the time of removal) is to use their email address.

Mark,

Not only is it still not working, but now, every member of the Banned list shows up as NMM. This is correct for email addresses that were banned without having joined the group, but is not correct for most others.

On Sun, Feb 9, 2020 at 09:02 PM, J_Catlady wrote:
but now, every member of the Banned list shows up as NMM.
I'm not seeing that on all of them. On most I see whatever status they had when they were banned.

Duane

On Sun, Feb 9, 2020 at 08:15 PM, Duane wrote:
On most I see whatever status they had when they were banned.
In my group they've all become NMM. Did you ban them by the action dropdown, or by entering the email address?

Actually I have a couple that are not NMM. However, all (or nearly all) of the NMM ones did not have that status when banned. One clue is that they're all NMM(3). And all, or nearly all, of them posted at least one approved message. This can be easily checked from their member activity log.

On Sun, Feb 9, 2020 at 08:48 PM, J_Catlady wrote:
Did you ban them by the action dropdown, or by entering the email address?
The reason I ask is that if you ban by entering the email address, a new member record for the banned account is created (as I understand it), regardless of whether or not the email address was already a member of the group. My guess is that that's the cause of the NMM3.