Topics

moderated Process to propose new features #meta

Hi All,

Ken in https://beta.groups.io/g/main/message/23853 mentioned something I've been thinking about. Right now, proposing a #suggestion is a free-for-all. Duplicate suggestions appear often. Previously discarded suggestions come back up, etc etc. It would help me if we could establish some kind of process around it, a way to help people vet their ideas before they are officially proposed. It would not be my goal to put up roadblocks or otherwise intimidate newbies from sharing their ideas; the opposite actually. I want to increase the quality of suggestions.

It seems it would be good for there to be a way to 'discuss' a proposed suggestion before it actually becomes a suggestion. Which means that the suggestion process involves two steps, the #proposal and the #suggestion. I can see two ways of doing the #proposal:

• Create a new, unmoderated subgroup to discuss proposals.
  • Add a new feature to hashtags that would work as follows:
    • The topic is set so that no one follows it.
    • Replying to the message automatically sets you to follow the topic.
    • You would be able to manually follow the topic as well if you wish.

In either case, once a consensus is reached (and only then), submit a #suggestion, referencing the proposal topic. If there's no interest in the #proposal, it doesn't become a #suggestion.

Ideally, I would not have to moderate (or spend much time involved with) the #proposal process. I think we all want me focused on actually getting stuff implemented. :-)

Thoughts?

Thanks, Mark

On 21 Jan 2020, at 18:27, Mark Fletcher <markf@corp.groups.io> wrote:

Ideally, I would not have to moderate (or spend much time involved with) the #proposal process. I think we all want me focused on actually getting stuff implemented. :-)

The sub-group sounds like a good idea - we have working groups in our organisation to facilitate exactly this, which is what your unmoderated sub-group would effectively be.

kind regards

Nick
___

dUNMUR | member of the AOP

I think this effectively just kicks the can down the road. You, Mark, are the ultimate decider on whether a suggestion gets submitted. You have the power right now, since new topics are moderated, about whether to accept a suggestion (i.e., allow it to be posted), or not. Rejection could be because you recognize it as a previously proposed suggestion, or similar enough to a previously proposed suggestion, to not warrant its own topic. You could presumably also accept it and immediately merge it with the similar (or identical) existing suggestion. 

I think that ultimately, someone besides members of the beta group, or of any subgroup of it, has to start keeping track of suggested features. I think, with all due respect, that is up to someone in the company, which I think at this point is just Mark. ;) Perhaps in the future it could be delegated out. But, unless I am misunderstanding something, which is a distinct possibility,  my stomach turns at the idea of turning the responsibility over to a subgroup. I doubt I would even join such a group.
--
J

Messages are the sole opinion of the author, especially the fishy ones.
My humanity is bound up in yours, for we can only be human together. - Desmond Tutu

On Tue, Jan 21, 2020 at 10:30 AM, Nick Dunmur wrote:
we have working groups in our organisation to facilitate exactly this
But isn't that more analogous to beta itself?

--
J

My humanity is bound up in yours, for we can only be human together. - Desmond Tutu

Samuel Murrayy

On 21/01/2020 19:27, Mark Fletcher wrote:

Right now, proposing a #suggestion is a free-for-all. Duplicate suggestions appear often. Previously discarded suggestions come back up, etc etc.
Well, if you could implement a search feature in GIO that allows users to limit their search to (a) the subject line and (b) the first message in a topic, you can reduce much of the reposting of previously made suggestions. It's a rule in many bug/feature posting systems that it is considered good manners to check the past bug/feature posts, but that is difficult here because one can't avoid including subsequent comments in the search.

It would help me if we could establish some kind of process around it, a way to help people vet their ideas before they are officially proposed.
Yes, that is why on several other software projects I've seen, there is a bug-and-feature discussion group where anyone can post anything, and then there is a separate bug-and-feature submission system, where people submit their bugs/features in a more formalised way. The bug/feature submission systems do have discussion capabilities, but the majority of discussions take place in a discussion forum that is separate from the bug/feature submission system.

Sometimes, such bug/feature submissions are carefully crafted and are the result of discussion elsewhere, and sometimes people just post without having checked if the issue has consensus because they believe their idea has merit without having to ask others.

It seems it would be good for there to be a way to 'discuss' a proposed suggestion before it actually becomes a suggestion.
[Sorry, I must say this: it's curious how you use the word "proposal" for the informal submission and "suggestion" for the formal submission. I would have thought the opposite: something is either a mere suggestion, or it is submitted as a formal proposal. So, be prepared for people misunderstanding these two terms.]

In either case, once a consensus is reached (and only then), submit a #suggestion, referencing the proposal topic. If there's no interest in the #proposal, it doesn't become a #suggestion.
Interest in discussing an idea can increase or decrease depending on many factors (holidays, weekends, trends, post quality), and it would be unfortunate if good sugg^H^H^H^Hproposals were prevented from being brought to the developers' attention simply because the world's attention happened to have been elsewhere, or because no-one else had any opinion about it.

Samuel

Mo

I have a different idea. 

Mark what is your vision for groups.io or are you at the stage of needing input for new tech? 

Maybe instead of a free for all we concentrate on one area of the system at a time. 

What areas do you have the least technical debt that could be improved first?

What areas of technical debt do you plan on working on?

What areas are you unhappy about or have limited functionality. 

Take ideas, then go from there. 

On Tue, 21 Jan 2020 at 18:58, J_Catlady
<j.olivia.catlady@...> wrote:
On Tue, Jan 21, 2020 at 10:30 AM, Nick Dunmur wrote:
we have working groups in our organisation to facilitate exactly this
But isn't that more analogous to beta itself?

--
J

Bill Hazel

Mo,
I think this is a good suggestion.
Perhaps one way to solicit suggestions for a specific features would be for Mark to create a message asking for input on that subject, example:
"Looking for suggestions for wikipage editing #suggestion" 

Then he could make it "sticky" so it would be at the top of the message list.
He could add as many as he wanted, 2 or 3 maybe, adding one per week and leave it there for 3 weeks so they would cycle.

There could also be a wikipage created, and maybe made sticky, that would record all the #suggestion messages by subject.
That way the first thing a visitor sees are the suggestions made and those requested.

Mark, or another Moderator could manage the page, merging posts as required.

How could Mark decide which topics to post?
A poll maybe? He and the other Moderators could get together and come up with a list of 20 possible subjects,
The purpose and "Rules" specified in the Question portion could explain the process so the poll respondents would understand what the goal is.
As the top answer gets moved to a sticky post, the Poll could be updated to include new choices, perhaps based on the spurious requests that come in.

Perhaps one of the choices would be to either explain how to restore a wikipage revision or add a "Restore the version" button 

On Tue, Jan 21, 2020 at 11:10 AM, Mo wrote:
Maybe instead of a free for all we concentrate on one area of the system at a time.
It's not a terrible idea, but I don't think Mark would necessarily get the best product from that. The features he's thinking about at any given time are unlikely the ones where people have a great idea that just happens to pop into their head. And people (we) are unlikely to save up feature ideas for the time when Mark happens to be asking about that area of the product.

I think thinks were going along just fine with the new hashtags, as long as someone (i.e., Mark or a designee) is keeping track of the suggestions. I think ultimately that's the problem and what's causing the chaotic free-for-all. Nobody was keeping track. I was thinking along the lines of refining the situation, possibly with further hashtags to let members keep track of what's *not* done or fixed, but keeping the same structure. 

I assume that bugs are tracked somewhere officially in groups.io, for example. Is there not, or could there not be, a method for tracking feature suggestions as well? Of course it would require human input. It can't just chug along by itself.

--
J

The proposal process seems too complicated to me. If I want to make a simple suggestion like, "I think the background color should change to orange on Halloween," I don't want to have to go through a proposal phase for it.

Mo's suggestion is good. If you say something like, "I'd like to improve the database feature. Here are some outstanding suggestions that are already on the list of things to do. Which of these are most important, and can you think of any others that would be especially helpful?" that might improve the suggestion quality for that area for a little while.

If you really want to organize things, a form with dropdown fields for the individual features combined with an automatic search for similar issues as part of a suggestion process would be helpful, but that would be work to implement in itself.

JohnF

Simon Hedges

I'd like to suggest that it's done the other way around, with Beta as the more open freer group where "proposals" can be discussed. Then if Mark endorses them he create a post in a subgroup for "suggestions" (though maybe "candidates" might be an alternative), where people can look if they want to see what's potentially going to be adopted. That's like to result (in the "suggestions" group) a better formed, appropriately tagged and managed, list of potential changes.

Simon

-----Original Message-----
From: main@beta.groups.io <main@beta.groups.io> On Behalf Of JohnF via Groups.Io
Sent: Tuesday, January 21, 2020 11:43 PM
To: main@beta.groups.io
Subject: Re: [beta] Process to propose new features #meta

The proposal process seems too complicated to me. If I want to make a simple suggestion like, "I think the background color should change to orange on Halloween," I don't want to have to go through a proposal phase for it.

I love this idea.
--
J

On Tue, Jan 21, 2020 at 04:50 PM, J_Catlady wrote:
this idea.
Referring to Simon's idea.

--
J

KWKloeber

Simon's idea and others - 

It really doesn't matter whether the discission or let's call it "fine-tuning" is accomplished here (beta) or a subgroup, or a whole different group.  A name is just a name, that's all.  It could be called Initial Suggestion Group and Final Suggestion Group.  Who cares?  My original point was, Mark doesn't need to see the harangue of comments that leads up to some formulation of a (near final?) version of a #suggestion.  

Let me be clear that in no way did I suggest that those discussing the #suggestion would usurp and of Mark's control.. but relieving him of needing to necessarily monitor all the discussion (and there can be MANY as we know that lead nowhere, and many that lead to consensus -- or at least partial.)

Perhaps when a topic is first #suggested on that group (or sub) it might also be moderated initially.  If it's a duplicate, (or in Mark's mind is defo a "don't bother" non-starter)  we could be told before heading off into the discussion sunset?

On Tue, Jan 21, 2020 at 07:11 PM, Simon Hedges wrote:

I'd like to suggest that it's done the other way around, with Beta as the more open freer group where "proposals" can be discussed. Then if Mark endorses them he create a post in a subgroup for "suggestions" (though maybe "candidates" might be an alternative), where people can look if they want to see what's potentially going to be adopted. That's like to result (in the "suggestions" group) a better formed, appropriately tagged and managed, list of potential changes.

Simon

-----Original Message-----
From: main@beta.groups.io <main@beta.groups.io> On Behalf Of JohnF via Groups.Io
Sent: Tuesday, January 21, 2020 11:43 PM
To: main@beta.groups.io
Subject: Re: [beta] Process to propose new features #meta

I have no interest in working with members of beta in formulating a "consensus" of any of the suggestions I propose (many of which, I can say, have been implemented by Mark). I am not an employee of groups.io and I am not being paid to make suggestions, let alone to work on "teams" of people formulating a "consensus" of ideas before they are presented to Mark. I don't know how many people here are actually interested in that.

This group started out as a place for simply expressing our ideas for making groups.io better. If it morphs into a "working group" in any way, shape, for form, I will leave.
--
J

On Tue, Jan 21, 2020 at 08:58 PM, J_Catlady wrote:
I am not being paid to make suggestions
In fact, as an owner of a premium group for many years, *I* and paying *Mark* for the privilege of making suggestions. The last thing I want is to make it like I'm still working for a software company.

I don't want to pay Mark to whitewash his fence. I want beta to be fun and easy. 

--
J

ro-esp

On Wed, Jan 22, 2020 at 01:11 AM, Simon Hedges wrote:

I'd like to suggest that it's done the other way around, with Beta as the more
open freer group where "proposals" can be discussed. Then if Mark endorses
them he create a post in a subgroup for "suggestions"
I don't have strong feelings as to whether or not we should do it this way, but if we do it this way we need to use terminology that's more clear than "suggestion vs proposal". In my mind those words are pretty much synonymous, but in the practice we envision one could be a "brainfart" while the other one has been discussed and refined...

groetjes, Ronaldo

Haha. That term is possible option.

On Jan 22, 2020, at 9:15 AM, ro-esp <ro-esp@...> wrote:

On Wed, Jan 22, 2020 at 01:11 AM, Simon Hedges wrote:

I'd like to suggest that it's done the other way around, with Beta as the more
open freer group where "proposals" can be discussed. Then if Mark endorses
them he create a post in a subgroup for "suggestions"
I don't have strong feelings as to whether or not we should do it this way, but if we do it this way we need to use terminology that's more clear than "suggestion vs proposal". In my mind those words are pretty much synonymous, but in the practice we envision one could be a "brainfart" while the other one has been discussed and refined...

groetjes, Ronaldo

--
J

Doesn't GMF already deal with discussion of proposals, including, but not
confined to, proposals for facilities that already exist? I've certainly used
it in that way at least once, and I know others have also.

Jim Fisher

On 21 Jan 2020 at 10:27, Mark Fletcher wrote:

Hi All,

Ken in https://beta.groups.io/g/main/message/23853 mentioned something I've been
thinking about. Right now, proposing a #suggestion is a free-for-all. Duplicate
suggestions appear often. Previously discarded suggestions come back up, etc
etc. It would help me if we could establish some kind of process around it, a
way to help people vet their ideas before they are officially proposed. It would
not be my goal to put up roadblocks or otherwise intimidate newbies from sharing
their ideas; the opposite actually. I want to increase the quality of
suggestions.

It seems it would be good for there to be a way to 'discuss' a proposed
suggestion before it actually becomes a suggestion. Which means that the
suggestion process involves two steps, the #proposal and the #suggestion. I can
see two ways of doing the #proposal:

- Create a new, unmoderated subgroup to discuss proposals.
- Add a new feature to hashtags that would work as follows:
- The topic is set so that no one follows it.
- Replying to the message automatically sets you to follow the topic.
- You would be able to manually follow the topic as well if you wish.

In either case, once a consensus is reached (and only then), submit a
#suggestion, referencing the proposal topic. If there's no interest in the
#proposal, it doesn't become a #suggestion.

Ideally, I would not have to moderate (or spend much time involved with) the
#proposal process. I think we all want me focused on actually getting stuff
implemented. :-)

Thoughts?

Thanks,
Mark
--
http://jimellame.tumblr.com - My thoughts on freedom (needs updating)
http://jimella.wordpress.com - political snippets, especially economic policy
http://jimella.livejournal.com - misc. snippets, some political, some not
Forget Google! I search with https://duckduckgo.com which doesn't spy on you

Duane

On Wed, Jan 22, 2020 at 04:08 PM, Jim Fisher wrote:
Doesn't GMF already deal with discussion of proposals, including, but not
confined to, proposals for facilities that already exist?
Yes, we do.  While the stated intent of the group is to improve the management of groups, we often kick things around to get a more solid idea of what is really wanted as a site tool.  Some folks ask about bugs they've found, only to find out that it's a misunderstanding on their part.  Other times it's about not understanding how to do the same thing here that was done on another site.  I believe that several of the recent suggestions made here and on Canny were more complete from having discussed them.

While there aren't as many members (yet?), the Group_Help group also tries to assist with these things.  I'm a member of both and do what I can to help.

Duane

Marv Waschke

Mark-- If your goal is to induce some order on the suggestion process, i.e. consolidate duplicate or similar ideas, reduce the number of suggestions that have been hashed through in the past, and generally vet suggestions before you look at them, I suggest that you appoint a volunteer board to review the contents  of this group, beta, and create a list of processed suggestions. Let beta remain the free-for-all that it is, but assign some volunteers to do the preliminary work of preparing proposals to enter your work queue. I would strictly limit the suggestion analysis board to vetting suggestions from the beta group and prohibit the board from making suggestions themselves to avoid abuse of the boards privileged position.

A suggestion analysis board could work in different ways. One way would be a group or a beta subgroup moderated by the board and only board members could post. Suggestions would still be posted to the beta group, but the suggestion tag would become a flag that the suggestion board needs to scrutinize the post and consider it in their group. Then periodically, the board would post a vetted suggestion list, similar to your weekly change list, to the beta group.

You, Mark, would remain the ultimate arbiter of what gets done, and discussion in beta would not change, but you would have the benefit of the work done by the suggestion analysis board. I would keep the deliberations of  the suggestion board public, although I would expect it to be pretty boring because it would not be a forum for new ideas, just sorting out the beta discussions.

BTW, just to be clear, I'm not interested in a position on such a board, but I would not be surprised if you had a few volunteers, based on the great work done by the thankless moderators of the Group Management Forum.
Best, Marv