Topics

moderated Enlarge the vertical size of the "Your Groups" pull-down menu #suggestion

(Copied over from the Canny board)

Right now it's always the same height (not big enough IMO) regardless of the screen's vertical-size, so there is scrolling that much of it can be avoided if the menu's vertical size/height was bigger.

Thanks and Cheers,

Christos

dave w

hi
Last modified a year ago?
At that time it was a variable width (and when an idiot creates a group name 30 words long, so was the window... ;/ ) while the vertical height drop down dropped below the window pane entirely... which Mark changed to the current condition.
So using a laptop for two decades I'm restricted in height (as will be many others) - therefore any further change needs to be dynamic scrolling, not back to the click on first then hand/ arrow scroll all the way to bottom of groups. Otherwise, go... cheers
dave
PS -The like isnt mine!

Duane

On Tue, Jan 21, 2020 at 11:55 AM, Mark Fletcher wrote:
there is scrolling that much of it can be avoided if the menu's vertical size/height was bigger.
On my tablet, in landscape, it fills most of the screen, so I wouldn't want it any taller.  I believe the current ~15 lines is a compromise that accounts for most, if not all, possible devices.

Duane

On Wed, Jan 22, 2020 at 5:01 PM dave w <groupsmaster@...> wrote:

At that time it was a variable width (and when an idiot creates a group name 30 words long, so was the window... ;/ ) while the vertical height drop down dropped below the window pane entirely... which Mark changed to the current condition.

Please don't use a word like idiot in the future. It's not helpful.

Mark

Christos G. Psarras

>>> At that time it was a variable width (and when an idiot creates a group name 30 words long, so was the window... ;/ )  while the vertical height drop down dropped below the window pane entirely... which Mark changed to the current condition.  So using a laptop for two decades I'm restricted in height (as will be many others)...

>>>On my tablet, in landscape, it fills most of the screen, so I wouldn't want it any taller.  I believe the current ~15 lines is a compromise that accounts for most, if not all, possible devices.

I probably did not make it as clear as I should have.  First, I'm not asking for the width to change at all; and second, neither to ALWAYS be dynamically-changed up or down from what is now.

It can stay as it is now if the browser window height is smaller than the menu height (which it already does now if one resizes the browser to a small height smaller than the menu height) or if the available space/height left is under some set percentage.  In other words, behave the same as it is now, this would be the minimums, there would be no negative impact whatsoever to existing users, and the only time the menu height would change would be if the browser window height is so large in relation to the existing menu height (as when it happens now when using a PC with the typical larger screen/resolution of nowadays), in which case it would then dynamically enlarge the menu height to take up some certain percentage of the available real estate, I don't know, like 75% maybe.  For those who use smaller-height screens, nothing would really change (although they may get a few extra lines displayed possibly, depending), only those who are using larger screens would really get the taller menu benefit; and if they resize their browser window down, it would resize back down, and stop when it reaches the current minimums.

Cheers,
Christos

dave w

On Sat, Jan 25, 2020 at 07:54 AM, Mark Fletcher wrote:
Please don't use a word like
Sure.

Malcolm Austen

I'm still a newbie on groups.io but I have already found the need to scroll the 'Your Grouops' drop-down mildly irritating. Not that it's a serious problem, there are far too many seriously good features to be put off by a little scrolling :-)

My thought, but it may not help others with this concern, is that it might be useful to have (or to have an option to have) only groups listed in the drop-down and to have subgroups on a side menu from the group name. I only have a small number of groups, I appreciate that many others would see little benefit from such a change.

Malcolm.