Topics

moderated Search member directory #suggestion #done

(Copied over from the Canny board)

As a member I want to be able to search the member directory so I can find others based on information within their profile.

Specific to our situation, members own different models of sailboats. I would like to be able to find the members that have the same sailboat model as myself.

You can now search the member directory.

Cheers, Mark

Peter Rawbone

Great!

Thank you Mark, what an improvement.
--
Peter

Terry Slattery

Nice improvement!
Is this feature supposed to ignore the email address field when doing a search?

Andy Wedge

On Tue, Feb 25, 2020 at 10:18 PM, Mark Fletcher wrote:
You can now search the member directory.
As a group owner I can see all of my 984 members in the directory. However if I search for a name that I can clearly see on the screen (Adrian, for example) I get no results. Searching for Adam gives me one name when I have 3 members called Adam and one with the surname Adams.  Does this search only look at those members who have made themselves visible on the directory for other members?  If so, then as an owner, it doesn't help me at all.

Andy

On Wed, Feb 26, 2020 at 08:27 AM, Terry Slattery wrote:
Nice improvement!
Is this feature supposed to ignore the email address field when doing a search?
Yes, it is designed that way, since email addresses are not visible in the directory.

Mark

On Wed, Feb 26, 2020 at 08:57 AM, Andy W wrote:

As a group owner I can see all of my 984 members in the directory. However if I search for a name that I can clearly see on the screen (Adrian, for example) I get no results. Searching for Adam gives me one name when I have 3 members called Adam and one with the surname Adams.  Does this search only look at those members who have made themselves visible on the directory for other members?  If so, then as an owner, it doesn't help me at all.

This has now been fixed. If you're an owner, you can search on all profiles now.

Cheers, Mark

Andy Wedge

On Wed, Feb 26, 2020 at 05:40 PM, Mark Fletcher wrote:

On Wed, Feb 26, 2020 at 08:57 AM, Andy W wrote:

As a group owner I can see all of my 984 members in the directory. However if I search for a name that I can clearly see on the screen (Adrian, for example) I get no results. Searching for Adam gives me one name when I have 3 members called Adam and one with the surname Adams.  Does this search only look at those members who have made themselves visible on the directory for other members?  If so, then as an owner, it doesn't help me at all.

This has now been fixed. If you're an owner, you can search on all profiles now.

Cheers, Mark

A further suggestion if I may... Can we get the search on the directory to work the same as on the member list please? It does some wlldcard searching on the member list but not on the directory. In the examples I gave above, my search for Adam in the directory gives me 3 results but the same search term on the member list gives me 4 (it finds the surname Adams).

Thanks,
Andy

Bruce Bowman

On Wed, Feb 26, 2020 at 11:57 AM, Andy W wrote:
Does this search only look at those members who have made themselves visible on the directory for other members?
Visibility shouldn't matter for a group Owner/Moderator, but there still has to be some profile content. Specifically, if a subscriber has neither an established Display Name, nor a User Name, nor a group profile, you won't be able to find him via a Directory search...for the simple reason that there is nothing in his Directory entry by which to establish a match.

Regards,
Bruce

Charles Roberts

New SEARCH feature works great on my computer on both the DIRECTORY and the MEMBERS LIST.
However, on my android phone the MEMBERS LIST search works great but the SEARCH button does not appear on the DIRECTORY screen....is it supposed to, or is that not supported on android phones?

Chuck

On Wed, Feb 26, 2020 at 12:07 PM, Andy W wrote:

A further suggestion if I may... Can we get the search on the directory to work the same as on the member list please? It does some wlldcard searching on the member list but not on the directory. In the examples I gave above, my search for Adam in the directory gives me 3 results but the same search term on the member list gives me 4 (it finds the surname Adams).

Right now the member directory search does not search email addresses, even for mods/owners. Should it? I don't think it should for non mods/owners.

Thanks, Mark

Mark,

Right now the member directory search does not search email addresses,
even for mods/owners. Should it?
That would be handy, as the user's email address is the primary identifier. It would save the extra effort of searching in the Members list then clicking through to the member's profile.

I don't think it should for non mods/owners.
Definitely not.

Shal

Andy Wedge

On Thu, Feb 27, 2020 at 04:47 AM, Mark Fletcher wrote:
It does some wlldcard searching on the member list but not on the directory.
As Bruce has mentioned to me off-group, The memberlist search with its implied wildcard is at odds with searches in messages where a wildcard character is needed to avoid just whole word searches. The activity log search appears to be the same also. Whichever way they work, I think they should be consistent.

Andy

On Wed, Feb 26, 2020 at 10:18 PM Shal Farley <shals2nd@...> wrote:
Mark,

 > Right now the member directory search does not search email addresses,
 > even for mods/owners. Should it?

That would be handy, as the user's email address is the primary
identifier. It would save the extra effort of searching in the Members
list then clicking through to the member's profile.

Ok, for mods and owners, the directory search now also includes email addresses.

Charles Roberts

Have tried two different Android phones.....SEARCH button does not appear on DIRECTORY screen on either one.
Chuck

Duane

On Fri, Feb 28, 2020 at 06:33 PM, Charles Roberts wrote:
SEARCH button does not appear on DIRECTORY screen on either one.
If the display is too narrow, the Search button disappears.  At the same time, the "member boxes" will only be one wide.  (I do believe this is a mistake.)  As long as the screen is at least 2 boxes wide, the Search is there.  Have you tried landscape mode?  Might still be too narrow, but I haven't checked.

Duane

Charles Roberts

Still no search button in Landscape mode.  Note the SEARCH feature works fine in MEMBERS LIST.
Chuck