Topics

moderated sticky New Group Charter #admin

On Mon, Jan 20, 2020 at 04:27 PM, Mark Fletcher wrote:

Since we now have a recognized #bug hashtag, should we begin to submit bug reports here instead of support@groups.io?

Yes please.

Can a non-member of beta report bugs to support? If so, what happens to the bug report?
Thanks.

Christos G. Psarras

Hi Mark,

I just went through Canny and posted a bunch of #suggestions to beta (I temporarily turned the #suggestion hashtag to No Email when I did so to avoid spamming the list).

I noticed that two of the new topics (69961750, 69961762) you copy-created over from Canny have duplicate threads already existing in beta.  (I know because I'm the perpetrator of both the original beta threads and Canny requests for the two topics)

Since there is some more info in those original threads (at least on one of them), should I go and add a message reply with a reference link to the original thread for those two dupes?  Or at least for the one with additional detail info?

Cheers,
Christos

On Tue, Jan 21, 2020 at 09:56 AM, Chris Jones wrote:
people should not be banned from expressing genuinely held reservations about something
Especially should be allowed if the genuinely held reservations have to do with concern for the product as a whole, rather than a personal desire or dislike, respectively, for a suggested feature. This is especially true in the case of suggested optional-per-group features. When argued against, there is often a backlash by some here to the effect that "just because you don't want it, don't assume that other groups don't want it." I may or may or not a suggested optional feature x for my own group. But regardless of whether or not I personally would find it useful, I may argue against it because I feel that having the feature in some groups and not others would cause confusion at a higher level, when users see it one group and assume it's there in another (and vice-versa) and get confused by the inconsistency. So there are genuinely held reservations that have more to do with global rather than personal, local concerns.

On Mon, Jan 20, 2020 at 7:41 PM J_Catlady <j.olivia.catlady@...> wrote:

What should be done now, if anything, about suggestions we've already posted on canny? I noticed you implemented the MF group setting option from there. Should I assume that the rest of my suggestions there have already "registered" with you, or should I/we start repeating them here?

I just went through Canny and posted a bunch of #suggestions to beta (I temporarily turned the #suggestion hashtag to No Email when I did so to avoid spamming the list).

Same question with bugs reported to support for which no acknowledgement was received. I have a couple in my sent folder from long ago and could repost them here.

Please do.

Chris Jones

On Tue, Jan 21, 2020 at 05:15 PM, Ken Kloeber wrote:
- "That would cause a mess" or "cause more confusion than now" or "can't be implemented"  or ..... similar type replies.
I can see what you are getting at but people should not be banned from expressing genuinely held reservations about something.

- For the most part "opinions" have little value and add to unnecessary chaff on Beta.  Everyone has one and every one (just as everyone) is as valid as another.
That is, of course, an opinion and thus by your own definition adds little value. :) At the same time almost all suggestions are based on an "opinion".

Chris

KWKloeber

>>>Mark Fletcher wrote:
Please let me know if you have any questions.<<<

Not only a 'charter' question but a suggestion as well.  Will you be publishing guidelines - specifically referring to what is most helpful to you and want to see added (or refrained from) re: discussion of a #suggestion.  Some thoughts if you decide to go that route:

- "I agree" and "me too" be forever banned (unless Beta is intended to be a popularity poll.)  "LIKE" works.

- "No one will use that" -  no one has enough foresight to definitively predict what the average user (or non-average) will or will -

- "That would cause a mess" or "cause more confusion than now" or "can't be implemented"  or ..... similar type replies.

- For the most part "opinions" have little value and add to unnecessary chaff on Beta.  Everyone has one and every one (just as everyone) is as valid as another.

- "Fact-based" -  discussions/additions/clarifications that are fact-based and add to understanding or clarification (or forbid improvement) of someone else's suggestion, not leading to needing to defend one's opinions (rather than presenting or clarifying facts,) which adds tons of chaff.

....more..?

Thx

Judy F.

What if one was already submitted to support?
Judy F.
SW Florida - USA

Since we now have a recognized #bug hashtag, should we begin to submit bug reports here instead of support@groups.io?

Yes please.

Thanks, Mark

Mark,

On Mon, Jan 20, 2020 at 03:15 PM, Bruce Bowman wrote:

Since we now have a recognized #bug hashtag, should we begin to submit bug reports here instead of support@groups.io?

Yes please.

Thanks, Mark

On Mon, Jan 20, 2020 at 02:21 PM, JohnF wrote:

I see on the hashtag list that #meta and #suggestion refer to the app, even though this is the main non-app beta group.

Whoops. Fixed.

Thanks, Mark

On Mon, Jan 20, 2020 at 02:21 PM, JohnF wrote:
I see on the hashtag list that #meta and #suggestion refer to the app
Good catch. I completely missed that and assumed they applied to groups.io as a whole - including that "meta" meant suggestions about the beta group.

Bruce Bowman

Since we now have a recognized #bug hashtag, should we begin to submit bug reports here instead of support@groups.io?

Bruce

I see on the hashtag list that #meta and #suggestion refer to the app, even though this is the main non-app beta group.

JohnF

On Mon, Jan 20, 2020 at 1:05 PM Chris Jones via Groups.Io <chrisjones12=btinternet.com@groups.io> wrote:
On Mon, Jan 20, 2020 at 06:07 PM, Mark Fletcher wrote:
This group is now set so that all new topics are moderated.
Mark; during (roughly) what hours will moderation effort be available? The information is most likely to be of help to those of us not on the Pacific Coast!

Yes, I'm generally on Pacific Time. But even when I'm awake I will not be looking at beta all the time; I'd never get anything done. :-) I do think slowing the conversations down a little bit won't hurt the group and may even be a benefit.

Chris Jones

On Mon, Jan 20, 2020 at 06:07 PM, Mark Fletcher wrote:
This group is now set so that all new topics are moderated.
Mark; during (roughly) what hours will moderation effort be available? The information is most likely to be of help to those of us not on the Pacific Coast!

Chris

Hi All,

This is the new charter for the main beta group. This message outlines how I've changed the set up and would like to run the group going forward.

This group now requires topics to be tagged with a hashtag. These are the currently available hashtags for users:

  • #bug
  • #meta
  • #misc
  • #suggestion

You can see their descriptions by going to the Hashtags page. There are additional hashtags, but they are set for moderator use only. If you want to post something and are not sure which hashtag to use or there isn't an appropriate hashtag, use #misc, and I will fix it. But please try to use the existing hashtags whenever possible, as I will be limiting the total number of hashtags. #meta is the tag to use when making suggestions about this group.

During cleanup, I combined some of old hashtags into the new hashtags, but mostly I deleted them as they didn't directly fit into the new scheme.

This group is now set so that all new topics are moderated. Therefore, expect a delay before your post shows up if it creates a new topic.

Thanks, Mark