Topics

moderated Following a new topic sends out catch-up emails with missing group [Subject Tag] #bug

Christos G. Psarras

This happens only when a user follows a new (to them) topic, which tells the Architect to email right away the OP post and any existing replies to the member so they can catch-up if needed, at least for the Individual Email users, with either All-Messages or Following-Only & First-Messages-Also & Follow-Replies. (I only tested those two, so not sure if it will do it for digest, etc)

The email subject is not populated with the group's [Subject Tag] on those emails, but it should, shouldn't it?

Cheers,
Christos

Christos G. Psarras

Oopsie, forgot the attachment I was meaning to add to my previous message:

Christos G. Psarras

UPDATE:

I followed a new beta topic today (https://beta.groups.io/g/main/topic/new_group_charter/69937945) and the auto-generated catch-up emails came in mixed, some did have the [beta] tag, others didn't; some of Mark's replies had it, but non of the rest did, see below.

Cheers,
Christos

Christos G. Psarras

Just an update since that time, the problem still persists.

Cheers,
Christos

On Fri, Oct 2, 2020 at 12:39 PM Christos G. Psarras <christos@...> wrote:
Just an update since that time, the problem still persists.

The code looks ok to me. This could be a case of Gmail stripping out the display of the subject tag. Can you look at the one of the original messages and verify that it does not have the group subject tag?

Christos G. Psarras

Hi Mark,

I don't think it's Gmail doing that, as my other account (this main one, Exchange-hosted) also does it, and IIRC from back then, a Yahoo test account also did.

Unless if you already checked that part of the code, it looks like the Send Follow-up code bit is using the original sent-in email subject field to populate the catch-up email subject, not the "processed/posted" one that went out with the tag added, and it may have to do with whether one replied to the topic through email or online, IIRC catch-up messages from the same person would exhibit this; or, the code is just "forwarding" the original message as it came in, not as it "posted" on the topic archive, if that makes sense.  And it only happens when catch-up messages are being sent right after following an unfollowed-before topic, not under normal-flow (send-after-posted) follow messages.

Please give me a bit of time to follow a couple of new topics and generate the catch-up messages and do some research; there's got to be some pattern to this that should help point out what's going on.

Cheers,
Christos