Topics

locked OT: question for anyone still running a Yahoo group

If anyone is still running a yahoo group, could you contact me offlist? I have some questions. I'm now running the groups.io "takeover" of our block's former yahoo group (they refused to transfer), but the yahoo group is still limping along in the background and I have some questions about what that moderator can and can't do in terms of inviting people to the old group, managing the membership list, etc. My email address is
j.olivia.catlady [at] gmail.com, or you can PM me from this message.
Thanks.

I don't understand what this has to do with "the Groups.io service and how it can be improved during our beta period".

Duane

On Sun, Jan 19, 2020 at 04:38 PM, Duane wrote:
don't understand what this has to do with
It doesn't, which is why I prefaced it with OT, and why I asked specifically for PM responses, in hopes that it would not clutter up the message list.
Thanks to all the people who have so helpfully responded in PMs.

Laurence Marks

I've still got one. So does Shal.

Larry

On Sunday, January 19, 2020, 05:30:37 PM EST, J_Catlady <j.olivia.catlady@...> wrote:

If anyone is still running a yahoo group, could you contact me offlist? I have some questions. I'm now running the groups.io "takeover" of our block's former yahoo group (they refused to transfer), but the yahoo group is still limping along in the background and I have some questions about what that moderator can and can't do in terms of inviting people to the old group, managing the membership list, etc. My email address is
j.olivia.catlady [at] gmail.com, or you can PM me from this message.
Thanks.

Larry Marks

On Sun, Jan 19, 2020 at 05:35 PM, Laurence Marks wrote:
I've still got one. So does Shal.
Thx, will catch you offlist. Shal has already responded. :)

If you have any other public questions about Yahoo Groups' new mode of operation, Nightowl runs the "MMSanctuary" group here on Groups.io, and it seems to be a good source for people discovering how to accomplish things over there (if they can be).

https://mmsanctuary.groups.io/g/main

JohnF

Dave Wade

J,

Perhaps rather than “limping along” they are now enjoying their newfound freedom. No more moderation, no more having their e-mails modified. Just post and it appears.

(for those that don’t know Yahoo has removed moderation of messages)

I would just chill until the spammers take over, as has quickly happened with many groups, as without effective moderation of content, it will be difficult to keep groups with any sort of public visibility clear of spam.

And if you don’t have public visibility then as members fall away the groups will shrink to a size where they become useless.

G4UGM