Topics

moderated wording of the confirmation-request

ro-esp

I'm talking about joining over email.

In GMF someone complained that people don't hit reply but send a message to GROUPNAME@groups.io

My suggestion is to replace the "please reply to this email" with "please reply to this message"

unless someone comes with an even better suggestion :-)

groetjes/ĝis, Ronaldo

Samuel Murrayy

On 17/01/2020 15:12, ro-esp wrote:

I'm talking about joining over email.
In GMF someone complained that people don't hit reply but send a message to GROUPNAME@groups.io.
My suggestion is to replace the "please reply to this email" with "please reply to this message".
FWIW, the thread in question is:
https://groups.io/g/GroupManagersForum/topic/69689947

==

My suggestion is to change this:

please reply to this email.
please reply to this email.
please reply to this email.

Samuel

I have mentioned here a couple of times that I think another aspect of the confirmation request wording is misleading. namely, the word "complete." The email directs the person to reply in order to "complete" their membership ("To complete your subscription, please reply to this email.") I feel the word "complete" may lead pending members of a restricted group to mistakenly think that replying to the confirmation email is a sufficient condition to complete their membership, whereas it is actually only a necessary one and they still need to return our questionnaire. We get a lot of members who need to be contacted offlist about the questionnaire, or be resent it several times, even after they've affirmatively confirmed. I think the word "complete" is too strong and the sentence should be replaced with something like "To confirm your interest in joining this group" or "To confirm that you have requested this subscription." Something like that.

Samuel Murrayy

On 17/01/2020 15:35, J_Catlady wrote:

I have mentioned here a couple of times that I think another aspect of the confirmation request wording is misleading. namely, the word "complete."
Aah, yes. So...

Thank you for your interest in Groups.io and the group
"WHATEVER". Please reply to this e-mail to confirm your
e-mail address.

Samuel

Gerald Boutin <groupsio@...>

On Fri, Jan 17, 2020 at 10:40 AM, Samuel Murray wrote:
On 17/01/2020 15:35, J_Catlady wrote:

I have mentioned here a couple of times that I think another aspect of
the confirmation request wording is misleading. namely, the word
"complete."
Aah, yes. So...

Thank you for your interest in Groups.io and the group
"WHATEVER". Please reply to this e-mail to confirm your
e-mail address.

Samuel
Perhaps there should also be two other pieces of info:

1. Timeout: Specify how long before this expires
2. Not you: What to do if you didn't want this (eg - ignore)

--
Gerald

On Fri, Jan 17, 2020 at 09:33 AM, Gerald Boutin wrote:
What to do if you didn't want this (eg - ignore)
That's already there.

Michael Pavan

Gerald,

On Jan 17, 2020, at 12:33 PM, Gerald Boutin <@gboutin> wrote:

Perhaps there should also be two other pieces of info:

1. Timeout: Specify how long before this expires
Yes, but will would-be subscribers understand:
"Your request to join this group will expire in 14 days, unless you request has been claimed by a group Moderator or Owner"...

I'd like to see it say:
"Your request to join this group may expire in 14 days"
"Please address any questions to: <GROUPNAME+owner@groups.io>"

unless it is a Restricted Membership group with an active Pending Subscription Member Notice, then it should say:
"Your request to join this group may expire in 14 days if you do not reply to the <Pending Subscription Member Notice's name>"
"Please address any questions to: <GROUPNAME+owner@groups.io>"

*I'm not sure if "Please address any questions to: <GROUPNAME+owner@groups.io>" is already included - I didn't create a new (unknown to Groups.io) email address to test this.

2. Not you: What to do if you didn't want this (eg - ignore)
Already happens, it says something like:
"If you are not interested, or if <yourname@yourdomain> is not your email address, please ignore this email."

Michael

On Fri, Jan 17, 2020 at 01:10 PM, Michael Pavan wrote:

unless it is a Restricted Membership group with an active Pending Subscription Member Notice, then it should say:
"Your request to join this group may expire in 14 days if you do not reply to the <Pending Subscription Member Notice's name>"
Good idea in theory, but I would not add that, even if there is an active pending notice, because even if there is one, it may not require a response. It's conceivable that some groups simply send a pending notice informing the member that they are acting on the application in some way, shape, or form, possibly giving out some interim info, etc. Their membership decision may or may not include responses from an emailed questionnaire.

Michael Pavan

On Jan 17, 2020, at 4:15 PM, J_Catlady <@J_Catlady> wrote:

On Fri, Jan 17, 2020 at 01:10 PM, Michael Pavan wrote:

unless it is a Restricted Membership group with an active Pending Subscription Member Notice, then it should say:
"Your request to join this group may expire in 14 days if you do not reply to the <Pending Subscription Member Notice's name>"
Good idea in theory, but I would not add that, even if there is an active pending notice, because even if there is one, it may not require a response. It's conceivable that some groups simply send a pending notice informing the member that they are acting on the application in some way, shape, or form, possibly giving out some interim info, etc. Their membership decision may or may not include responses from an emailed questionnaire.
Good point, as there currently is not a good feature to require answers for applicants.
The current Pending Member feature is used by some as an "Additional Information to join required" while others use to provide "Additional Information to applicants"

This reaffirms that there needs to be an additional Member Notice type created so that the 'opposite' uses are no longer commingled, which would support the additional clarity needed in the 'confirmation-request', and a better applicant screening process than current cumbersome workarounds.

Gerald Boutin <groupsio@...>

Michael,

I am not in disagreement, I just thought I would try to "herd" the requirements into a summary. It seems that a lot of the topics go back and forth. I like to see the process ending up in a convergence.

--
Gerald

On Fri, Jan 17, 2020 at 05:10 PM, Michael Pavan wrote:
Gerald,