moderated Column Width Problem

Chris Jones

Mark; I have / there is an issue with the column widths in the Member List, with insufficient space available for the email information.

By way of example I have just received a reply to a Pending Subscription message. On checking his Member List entry I noticed that he had still not responded to the Confirmation Request so I sent him an email asking him to do so, and sent a further request. (I have since found that gmail blocked the email, but that is not a Groups.io matter)

I then "Claimed" his application to reduce the risk of another moderator letting him in, and the Claimed status flag duly appeared. However, in doing so it made the NC flag disappear because of insufficient space. There is no means of "Unclaiming" the application to see if the NC flag is still present or not, and as far as I can see no other place where I can see if he has acted on the resend I initiated.

Is is possible that you can adjust the column widths used on the Members List to provide more space for the email address and status flags? "Delivery" and/or Applied" are far wider than they need to be.

And yes I have created a hashtag! (Sorry)

Chris.

Is is possible that you can adjust the column widths used on the Members List to provide more space for the email address and status flags? "Delivery" and/or Applied" are far wider than they need to be.
<<<

I also would like this to be implemented, I've run into similar display issues when doing member maintenance.

As an FYI, Rick also asked for the same thing in another thread, https://beta.groups.io/g/main/message/23641
in case we may want them to be merged.

Cheers,
Christos

Chris Jones

On Sat, Jan 18, 2020 at 04:45 AM, Christos G. Psarras wrote:
I've run into similar display issues when doing member maintenance.
Exactly so.

However, having done a bit more investigating it has occurred to me that Mark may have looked at this and finished up scratching his head wondering what the problem is because he cannot see it.

It depends not only on the way the column widths are sized but also on the geometry of the display unit on which the page is viewed. The DU I normally use (OK; it is now getting elderly rather like me) has a 4:3 aspect ratio. I have also looked at how a 16:9 aspect ratio DU (my not very often used laptop) presents that page and with that there is no visible problem.

Now 4:3 DUs may or may not be passé (I genuinely don't know) but for those of us who don't want to discard them when they are working perfectly well it would be a major bonus if the column widths could be adjusted at source so that some of the detail isn't lost when the members list is viewed on a 4:3 rather than a 16:9. As far as I can see there would be no "downside".

Chris

On 18 Jan 2020 at 3:26, Chris Jones via Groups.Io wrote:

[...]

As another 4:3 DU user, I fully agree.

Jim

--
http://jimellame.tumblr.com - My thoughts on freedom (needs updating)

Laurence Marks

As another 4:3 holdout, I have to ask:

Have you considered simply pressing CTRL and - a time or two to zoon out when you are in this situation?

Press and hold Ctrl
Press and release the minus key
Release Ctrl

Repeating this sequence continues the zoom. Pressing Ctrl and + zooms in to reverse the operation.
--
Larry Marks

Chris Jones

On Sun, Jan 19, 2020 at 05:28 PM, Laurence Marks wrote:
Have you considered simply pressing CTRL and - a time or two to zoon out when you are in this situation?
Or using the browser's zoom function. Well sort of... but it reduces the font size (obviously!) so at best I would see it as a stop - gap measure.

I would have hoped that every page would display correctly irrespective of the aspect ratio of a DU. (And I have since discovered that 4:3 is not an obsolete concept.)

Going from a page that "works" to the Member List, having to zoom out to see what status flags there are, doing anything necessary, then resetting the zoom before going on to another page that works correctly doesn't look like a long - term answer.

Chris

Laurence Marks

Chris, Ctrl&- and Ctrl&+ ARE the browser's zoom functions.

Larry

--
Larry Marks

Chris Jones

On Sun, Jan 19, 2020 at 05:51 PM, Laurence Marks wrote:
Ctrl&- and Ctrl&+ ARE the browser's zoom functions.
As is a box in a drop - down.

Chris

I also find it annoying that the email address column is (a) too narrow and (b) not adjustable. I'd like to have more reasonable default widths, as well as a way to adjust column widths interactively. (For extra credit, the web site could save my preferences somewhere.)

On a vaguely related note, I'd like to be able to (arbitrarily) increase the number of entries that are displayed.  I'm currently in the process of migrating a 600+ member meetup. Even at our current 24 members, being limited to viewing 20 members at a time is a nuisance; I hate to think what it will be like as the migration continues.

-r

Chris Jones

On Sun, Jan 19, 2020 at 10:03 PM, Rich Morin wrote:
Even at our current 24 members, being limited to viewing 20 members at a time is a nuisance
Go to your Account settings, then Preferences; scroll down the page to Items Per Page; this will currently be on "20" but it can be set to 50, 100 or Infinite Scroll. If you change the setting don't forget to Update Preferences.

Note that this is an account level setting and will affect the presentation of all your groups. I have not tried it myself but there has been mention of Infinite Scroll sometimes giving trouble; others will be able to clarify.

Chris

Thank for the tip!  I was expecting the adjustment to be on the page, but next time I'll peruse the settings before I complain. That said, I note that I no longer seem to have  count of members displayed _on that page_.  Owell.

-r

Duane

On Sun, Jan 19, 2020 at 05:00 PM, Rich Morin wrote:
I note that I no longer seem to have  count of members displayed _on that page_
The only choice that won't have the number (x-y of z) at the upper right and lower left is Infinite Scroll.  In that case, it will eventually be the number of members in the group!  This has been mentioned upmteen times on GMF.

On Sun, Jan 19, 2020 at 06:26 PM, Duane wrote:
upper right and lower left
My bad, should be upper right and lower right  (note to self: proofread better)

Duane