Topics

locked Hashtags for single messages (not topics) #suggestion

Gretchin Lair

I'd love to see hashtags available for single messages within topics, not just whole topics. For instance, #bestof, #messageoftheweek, #archive, or the first message in a topic where the replies don’t matter. Provide a link to see the whole thread from that message.

Chris Jones

On Thu, Jan 16, 2020 at 05:43 AM, Gretchin Lair wrote:
I'd love to see hashtags available for single messages within topics
IMHO that will make the use of hastags even messier than it sometimes is now.

Chris

The problem with implementing the suggestion is that as hashtags are designed and work in groups.io, they operate on topics, not on individual messages. They are different from hashtags as used in other media. They act nontrivially on topics and do things you can't do to messages, such as limiting the duration of the topic, causing it to be locked or moderated, etc. etc. etc..

I could envision a different hashtag operator that would act on individual messages, rather than topics, but that would be a different operator and would probably require a different symbol (and probably name, just to avoid confusion). For example, you could use ## for the current "topic hashtags" and # for the "message hashtags", the kind requested here. It would be a very big change and probably infeasible from the standpoint of users already used to the current hashtags. Or maybe, the opposite: you could keep current hashtags the same (using #) and use ## for the new (message) hashtags.

I don't really see this happening, though, and I agree with Chris that with the number of users already confused now by hashtags, adding message-hashtag functionality would just make things worse.

And on third thought (caffeinated), it's not really possible, because titles are attached to topics, not messages, and hashtags are added to titles.

Gretchin Lair

I can link to an individual message, but then... where do I put it? Hashtags made excellent automatic collection buckets. Other suggestions?

On Thu, Jan 16, 2020 at 11:12 AM, Gretchin Lair wrote:
Other suggestions?
I would just use the search function. You're never going to get hashtags on individual messages here.

On Thu, Jan 16, 2020 at 01:52 PM, J_Catlady wrote:
You're never going to get hashtags on individual messages here.
Every time I say "never," I realize I should never say never. It's possible to implement a kind of hashtags that can be included within individual message bodies. But without passing judgment on it, I'd say it's in the "don't hold your breath" category.

KWKloeber

Gretchin

I believe that would be useful - I could see several instances where for whatever reason we would tag a post ('er, or is it "message" now?) differently than a Topic ('er, or is it "Subject", which the gio GUI confusingly uses interchangeably?)
Are you thinking of being able to choose from the list of hashtags available for Topics?  Or a separate list of msg tags?

Mark has asked the group to not get into what's possible/not possible to implement (his call to figure out) so ignore those type negative nay sayers.
On the positive side instead, it would allow for a more useful search of messages (opposed to the woefully inadequate, 17th-century, non-boolean, word/non-phrase search we now have to operate under.

Hmmm, Y'ah know - thinking aloud here - there's nothing preventing a group from adopting a set of message tags and just entering one (or whatever) as the 1st line, or last line of the message.  If tagged with something very unique -- like ## as J said, or TAG-your_tag, or enclosed in  %your_tag% -- you could search and more easily retrieve messages.  I'm liking this.

-ken

This part is me being serious:

On Thu, Jan 16, 2020 at 1:56 PM Ken Kloeber via Groups.Io <KWKloeber=aol.com@groups.io> wrote:

Mark has asked the group to not get into what's possible/not possible to implement (his call to figure out) so ignore those type negative nay sayers.

I wish J had not said that the feature would never appear, and to her credit she did walk that statement back. I don't want people saying that, on my behalf or otherwise. It's also just not a useful thing to say. But also 'negative nay sayers' isn't useful either.

Once more, with feeling: Let us please keep things positive and constructive here.

This part is me being absurd:

On the positive side instead, it would allow for a more useful search of messages (opposed to the woefully inadequate, 17th-century, non-boolean, word/non-phrase search we now have to operate under.

I'm really glad you picked up on the Baroque stylings of our search. It was always my intention to use search as commentary on the tense and extravagant aspects of Silicon Valley in this part of the 21st century. My use of drop shadows on the search results page is a call-out to Caravaggio's use of chiaroscuro. Just wait until you see the new version of the Feed page, where I go for more of a Cubist approach. It's going to be completely incomprehensible!

Mark

Haha! 😊

On Jan 16, 2020, at 2:49 PM, Mark Fletcher <markf@corp.groups.io> wrote:

This part is me being serious:

On Thu, Jan 16, 2020 at 1:56 PM Ken Kloeber via Groups.Io <KWKloeber=aol.com@groups.io> wrote:

Mark has asked the group to not get into what's possible/not possible to implement (his call to figure out) so ignore those type negative nay sayers.

I wish J had not said that the feature would never appear, and to her credit she did walk that statement back. I don't want people saying that, on my behalf or otherwise. It's also just not a useful thing to say. But also 'negative nay sayers' isn't useful either.

Once more, with feeling: Let us please keep things positive and constructive here.

This part is me being absurd:

On the positive side instead, it would allow for a more useful search of messages (opposed to the woefully inadequate, 17th-century, non-boolean, word/non-phrase search we now have to operate under.

I'm really glad you picked up on the Baroque stylings of our search. It was always my intention to use search as commentary on the tense and extravagant aspects of Silicon Valley in this part of the 21st century. My use of drop shadows on the search results page is a call-out to Caravaggio's use of chiaroscuro. Just wait until you see the new version of the Feed page, where I go for more of a Cubist approach. It's going to be completely incomprehensible!

KWKloeber

>>>On Thu, Jan 16, 2020 at 05:49 PM, Mark Fletcher wrote:
Feed page<<<

BTW, I was one who initially saw no benefit to the  "feed" and thought it would be just another superfluous feature that might be delayed in order to concentrate on something more-needed (read, "search".)
BOY was I mistaken,  I LOVE the feed and use it exclusively.  And THANK YOU for that brain child.

-k

On Thu, Jan 16, 2020 at 02:49 PM, Mark Fletcher wrote:
she did walk that statement back.
To be clear, my original statement that it could never happen was a statement that hashtags, as they exist currently in groups.io, are logically impossible to attach to individual messages because they are inherently a function of topics. It was meant as a statement of logic, not as a statement of negativity or judgement. I think hashtags on messages would be eminently useful.

Christos G. Psarras

On the positive side instead, it would allow for a more useful search of messages (opposed to the woefully inadequate, 17th-century, non-boolean, word/non-phrase search we now have to operate under.

<<<

Wait, regarding the "boolean" part, you can use boolean operators in the search box, or did I miss something??

Cheers,

Christos

Yes, you can.

On Jan 16, 2020, at 3:24 PM, Christos G. Psarras <christos@...> wrote:

On the positive side instead, it would allow for a more useful search of messages (opposed to the woefully inadequate, 17th-century, non-boolean, word/non-phrase search we now have to operate under.

<<<

Wait, regarding the "boolean" part, you can use boolean operators in the search box, or did I miss something??

Cheers,

Christos

Gretchin Lair

Thanks, Ken. As a moderator, it would be delicious to tag certain messages that turned out to be really useful, worthy of saving and sharing to the group. Since you can use hashtags to act as aggregators of particular topics (not Topics), I would find it really useful to add a hashtag to content that already exists, rather than copying/pasting into files or the wiki.

Gretchin Lair

Thanks for clarifying, J_catlady. I read your initial response as a value judgment, too. But I'm glad to hear you think it would be useful, if not likely.

In response to your most recent message, I agree with you and I myself have suggested/requested implementation of a way for members to mark and/or save their favorite messages, whether that’s their Liked messages or a separate function. The suggestion is floating around here somewhere. :-)

On Jan 16, 2020, at 8:02 PM, Gretchin Lair <gretchin@...> wrote:

Thanks for clarifying, J_catlady. I read your initial response as a value judgment, too. But I'm glad to hear you think it would be useful, if not likely.

KWKloeber

>>>On Thu, Jan 16, 2020 at 06:22 PM, Christos G. Psarras wrote:

regarding the "boolean" part, you can use boolean operators in the search box, or did I miss something??

<<<
Christos,
Well, butter my butt and call me a muffin.  Did I as well miss something?  I SWEAR on my walnut brownie that I read (somewhere?) that was not the case.

Was the functionality of the search feature modified (read: improved) in the past year or so?

I searched the gio HELP page (which in itself has no search feature - hmmmmm) and didn't see anything 'bout boolean.

One note about the Help page (maybe Mark will see this) - there's a handy "Back to top" link on the sidebar, but the sidebar doesn't float.  So, being static, the only time you see the "Back to top" link is when you are already at the top of the page.
Additionally, the Help page might make specific reference to the GMF WIKI page, not only link to the forum.  New users wouldn't be likely to realize to check over on the Wiki for a help topic when they land on the GMF.  The GNF help Wiki is good (and growing.)

-k

KWKloeber

>>>On Thu, Jan 16, 2020 at 11:17 PM, J_Catlady wrote:
a way for members to mark and/or save their favorite messages<<<

YahCHOO! at one time instituted function that you could mark a message and it would be saved to a location (almost as the gio draft folder works.)  It was handy as heck -- we find ourselves addressing the same type member question again and again and again, maybe several times a year to a few times a month.  It was handy to use it as a library of answers at your fingertips -- even as a library of links to old messages (that, of course, could be edited to suit the particular question or topic.  It was A LOT easier than saving and storing text somewhere and copying and pasting back into replies to questions from members.  Unfortunately (moot now) YahCHOO! discontinued the feature (soon after I had tagged several msgs to catalog in my "library.)

-k