Topics

moderated Message summary a mess - but not due to IO

Tom Vail

Just an FYI:  I just had a strange deal with our group.  When you did a search the resulting messages came up with the correct title, but the message summary was taken from bits and pieces within the body, not the opening lines, so made no sense.  After pulling my hair out, I restarted my computer and it was fixed.  So it was not an IO problem, but something within my system.  I'm using a Mac with Mojave and Safari.

The only strange part about this was that it was "fixed" after you restarted your computer.  Search looks for instances of your search term within the message body. So if the term occurs more than one in the message body, it returns all the "bits and pieces" in which it occurs.

I just tested this using a message with several instances of the word "the" and searching on "the." Apparently, search will find and return the first instance of the term, within its context, but only continue with further instances if they occur contiguously to the first one and within the allowable space (which seems to be a couple of lines). You are right that it does not jump around and return much later occurrences if the space in between does not fit (however, it will return results towards the bottom of the message, not just at the top, if the first instance of the term occurs towards the message bottom). So I don't know what was happening in your case.

Tom Vail

Not sure why it went away when I restarted, but it is back doing the same thing and a second restart did not fix it this time.

I view this as a bug.  When the message is returned from a search it should appear just as it would if you were scrolling through messages.  The title followed with first couple lines of the message.  Not some random collection of the text which makes it unintelligible.  And the text it is collecting does not necessarily have the search argument in it.

Hope this can be fixed quickly as it is holding up a project for me.

Peace,
Tom

Tom,

I view this as a bug. When the message is returned from a search it
should appear just as it would if you were scrolling through messages.
I vehemently disagree.

When I search for something I want to be shown the search target in context. That often lets me easily weed out by eye irrelevant matches.

Showing some unrelated part of the message would require me to open each result message to see if it has the hit I'm looking for.

Shal

Shal/Tom,

I agree that it should show the search term in context, and it does. But I'm not sure I'm understanding the behavior Tom is describing.

From my test this morning, it finds and highlights the first occurrence of the search term, and it also highlights any occurrences after the first one *that occur within that particular context* (which consists of about a line and a half). It does not return any occurrences beyond that first context.

So if a message contains the term a couple of times in lines 4-5, say, and then a couple more times in lines 8, 10, 11, or whatever, the snippet shows only the occurrences in lines 4-5.

You can see this by doing a search in beta on the word "search," which has been used many times in the current thread.

On Sat, Jan 11, 2020 at 08:00 PM, J_Catlady wrote:
It does not return
should read "it does not highlight"

In other words, it looks like it's behaving completely appropriately and correctly. The only possible improvement I can see would be to increase the snippet space to allow more than one context, in case the occurrences of the search terms are far apart in the message. But that's a trade-off. And it does seem like an appropriate trade-off has been made in that respect.

Gerald Boutin <groupsio@...>

On Sat, Jan 11, 2020 at 11:21 PM, Tom Vail wrote:
Not sure why it went away when I restarted, but it is back doing the same thing and a second restart did not fix it this time.

I view this as a bug.  When the message is returned from a search it should appear just as it would if you were scrolling through messages.  The title followed with first couple lines of the message.  Not some random collection of the text which makes it unintelligible.  And the text it is collecting does not necessarily have the search argument in it.

Hope this can be fixed quickly as it is holding up a project for me.

Peace,
Tom
Tom,

I (and others) are seeing what looks like rational results. Here is what I see on a search for "cookies" in this group. Please do this same search and let us know the results. If the results are random, please let us see exactly what they are.

--
Gerald

Gerald,

I'm pretty sure Tom is seeing what we all are seeing. But he wants this instead:

"When the message is returned from a search it should appear just as it would if you were scrolling through messages.  The title followed with first couple lines of the message."

That's the issue. I finally get what he's asking for and, like Shal, I vehemently disagree. :)

Gerald Boutin <groupsio@...>

On Sun, Jan 12, 2020 at 12:48 AM, J_Catlady wrote:
Gerald,

I'm pretty sure Tom is seeing what we all are seeing. But he wants this instead:

"When the message is returned from a search it should appear just as it would if you were scrolling through messages.  The title followed with first couple lines of the message."

That's the issue. I finally get what he's asking for and, like Shal, I vehemently disagree. :)

OK, understood. I got thrown by "After pulling my hair out, I restarted my computer and it was fixed" and "random collection of the text".

I also prefer it as is.

--
Gerald

On Sat, Jan 11, 2020 at 09:03 PM, Gerald Boutin wrote:
I restarted my computer and it was fixed
That totally threw me, too. :)