Topics

moderated Premium groups now have more storage, basic group subgroups change

Hi All,

Starting now, all premium groups have double the storage, 20GB, up from 10GB. Basic and Enterprise group storage levels are the same as before, at 1GB and 1TB, respectively.

Basic groups created after Wednesday morning, 1/15/20 at 9AM, will no longer have the ability to create subgroups. Existing basic groups will be grandfathered in.

Cheers,
Mark

txercoupemuseum.org

Hi Mark,

You have a one-time surge of Premium Groups created out of the financial realities of the Yahoo meltdown that were promised they could revert to free group status at the end of their original Premium Group paid period.

I would presume these groups' paid premium status allows them to create subgroups until they actually exercise their right to revert to
‘Free/Basic Group” status, and that any subgroups they might choose to create with “premium” privileges in the interim you would similarly recognize as “grandfathered"?

Best!

WRB—

On Jan 10, 2020, at 4:00 PM, Mark Fletcher <markf@corp.groups.io> wrote:

Hi All,

Starting now, all premium groups have double the storage, 20GB, up from 10GB. Basic and Enterprise group storage levels are the same as before, at 1GB and 1TB, respectively.

Basic groups created after Wednesday morning, 1/15/20 at 9AM, will no longer have the ability to create subgroups. Existing basic groups will be grandfathered in.

Cheers,
Mark
_._,_._,_

On Fri, Jan 10, 2020 at 2:49 PM txercoupemuseum.org <ercoguru@...> wrote:

I would presume these groups' paid premium status allows them to create subgroups until they actually exercise their right to revert to
‘Free/Basic Group” status, and that any subgroups they might choose to create with “premium” privileges in the interim you would similarly recognize as “grandfathered"?

Any group that is created before Wednesday at 9am pacific time will continue to have the ability to create subgroups, even in basic form, including all the groups that moved over from Yahoo. No existing group will lose that ability.

Mark

Samuel Murrayy

On 10/01/2020 23:00, Mark Fletcher wrote:

Basic groups created after Wednesday morning, 1/15/20 at 9AM, will no longer have the ability to create subgroups. Existing basic groups will be grandfathered in.
I have no objection to this (I could never really see the use of subgroups).

However, I do believe that a lot of information about Groups.io is not learnt from the Groups.io site but from fans who tell other people about it, so it's very important when someone creates a new group that they be told what had changed (i.e. what things that people told them about the wonderful Groups.io is no longer there).

What would happen (from now on) to subgroups in groups who are premium for a while and then changes to non-premium? Will it be a loophole in the system that you can create subgroups by paying for 1 month premium?

Samuel

Beth Weld

Mark,
I have a group with many subgroups that come and go. I assumed that the subgroup files/photos/whatever were included in the data limit for the main group, but had trouble figuring out how much storage we were using.  I manually tried to add it all up, but then I heard that the subgroups each have their own limit.  That could be a lot of storage if true now that you have doubled the limitation (thank you btw), and I'd like clarification on how subgroup storage impacts our data limits please. And - if the subgroups are part of the main, then can we have an overall "storage used" number in the main group please?
Many thanks
Beth

Bob Bellizzi

Beth,
What do you mean by "many groups that come and go"?
Please be more specific
--

Bob Bellizzi

Our subgroups they come and they go,
So we wonder if storage is low.
We have lots of doubt how to
Figure it out cuz
Our limit we don't wanna blow

Beth Weld

Yeah, what she said....... much more eloquently than I could.

We usually have  25-40 subgroups at a time because we run various workshops during the year. We set up a subgroup for a workshop, and students participate for 2-6 months (depending on the workshop) and then we delete the subgroup.  Some workshops have a lot of participation with photos and files, and others don't.

If the subgroups count towards the main group total, it would be very helpful to be able to see an accumulated total in the main group instead of trying to manually calculate it. If each subgroup has its own limit then I won't worry about it anymore.
Thanks
Beth

Thomas Gruber

Hi,
I searched a bit, in the „pricing“ info and also in the Wiki, but couldn’t find any clear statement saying that storage subgroups and their files, photos, and attachments use count into the overall storage. But I think it‘s pretty clear as the different levels have storage limits, and that is for a main group including all subgroups. There is no pricing for subgroups.
Maybe a sentence in the pricing info saying „including subgroups“ would clarify things.
Thomas

On Sat, Jan 11, 2020 at 12:46 AM Samuel Murray <samuelmurray@...> wrote:

What would happen (from now on) to subgroups in groups who are premium
for a while and then changes to non-premium?  Will it be a loophole in
the system that you can create subgroups by paying for 1 month premium?

The subgroups will be deleted, after a delay to ensure that the downgrade wasn't an inadvertent mistake on the part of the group owner.

Mark

On Sun, Jan 12, 2020 at 4:07 AM Beth Weld <bethweld77@...> wrote:

If the subgroups count towards the main group total, it would be very helpful to be able to see an accumulated total in the main group instead of trying to manually calculate it. If each subgroup has its own limit then I won't worry about it anymore.

Subgroups each have the same amount of storage as the main group. So, in (current) basic groups, the main group has 1GB of storage, and each subgroup also has 1GB of storage.

Mark

txercoupemuseum.org

So what would be the appropriate sequence and timing to (1) create a new free group to receive the information presently in a Premium subgroup such that (2) transfer of such content is not lost when exercising the option to downgrade from Premium to free status at the end of the present paid period?  Is there a way for a list owner to do such transfer within present Groups.io tools/procedures?

WRB

—

On Mon, Jan 13, 2020 at 12:37 PM txercoupemuseum.org <ercoguru@...> wrote:
So what would be the appropriate sequence and timing to (1) create a new free group to receive the information presently in a Premium subgroup such that (2) transfer of such content is not lost when exercising the option to downgrade from Premium to free status at the end of the present paid period?  Is there a way for a list owner to do such transfer within present Groups.io tools/procedures?

Not sure I understand. You want to take an existing subgroup and make it a stand alone group? That feature doesn't presently exist.

Mark

txercoupemuseum.org

Hi Mark,

I was responding to your statements to Samuel Murray today:

"On Sat, Jan 11, 2020 at 12:46 AM Samuel Murray <samuelmurray@...> wrote:

What would happen (from now on) to subgroups in groups who are premium
for a while and then changes to non-premium?  Will it be a loophole in
the system that you can create subgroups by paying for 1 month premium?

The subgroups will be deleted, after a delay to ensure that the downgrade wasn't an inadvertent mistake on the part of the group owner.”

Your comment above is my first indication that my existing subgroup established under the temporary “Premium” membership purchased to get my groups transferred from Yahoo would disappear if and when we exercised the promised option to revert to a free group, i.e that it would not be “grandfathered”.

As you say, that feature may not have existed because there was no need for it.  Since you now appear to have above defined a “new consideration”, my current response would seem both reasonable and appropriate.

Respectfully,

WRB

On Mon, Jan 13, 2020 at 2:07 PM txercoupemuseum.org <ercoguru@...> wrote:

Your comment above is my first indication that my existing subgroup established under the temporary “Premium” membership purchased to get my groups transferred from Yahoo would disappear if and when we exercised the promised option to revert to a free group, i.e that it would not be “grandfathered”.

Any group that is created before this coming Wednesday at 9AM Pacific Time will continue to have the ability to create subgroups, regardless of whether they are basic or premium. Does that answer your question?

Mark

Michael Chopra

Hi. Does this mean that already existing basic groups that have not created subgroups at all, will they still be able to create them after this date?
Thanks.
From Michael.

Duane

On Mon, Jan 13, 2020 at 09:47 PM, Michael Chopra wrote:
Does this mean that already existing basic groups that have not created subgroups at all, will they still be able to create them after this date?
That's what the announcement says.

Duane

Samuel Murrayy

On 10/01/2020 23:00, Mark Fletcher wrote:

Basic groups created after Wednesday morning, 1/15/20 at 9AM, will no longer have the ability to create subgroups.
W.r.t. basic groups created after Wednesday:

Do I understand correctly that if a basic group buys 1 month premium, they can create subgroups, and these subgroups do not disappear when they revert to basic again?

But, if a basic group buys 1 month premium, and then reverts to basic again, can they then still create subgroups even though they're no longer a premium group? Or must they upgrade to 1 month premium each time they want to create more subgroups?

Samuel

Duane

On Tue, Jan 14, 2020 at 05:12 AM, Samuel Murray wrote:
Do I understand correctly that if a basic group buys 1 month premium, they can create subgroups, and these subgroups do not disappear when they revert to basic again?
According to Mark's earlier statement, https://beta.groups.io/g/main/message/23582, the subgroup(s) would be deleted after a short delay.  If it were me, I'd probably not allow subgroups to be created unless it was at least a one year premium upgrade.  I think that would be a better signal of intentions.  Or maybe only after a month-to-month upgrade has been in effect for 3 months or more?  I know there are some folks that can't justify an annual payment in their budget.

Duane

Samuel Murrayy

On 14/01/2020 12:32, Duane wrote:

On Tue, Jan 14, 2020 at 05:12 AM, Samuel Murray wrote:

Do I understand correctly that if a basic group buys 1 month premium, they can create subgroups, and these subgroups do not disappear when they revert to basic again?
According to Mark's earlier statement, https://beta.groups.io/g/main/message/23582...
Aah, thanks, I haven't received that message.

Samuel