Topics

moderated Sometimes, clicking Like causes a draft message to be saved #bug

Samuel Murrayy

Hello
As described here and in subsequent messages:
https://groups.io/g/GroupManagersForum/message/26331

When clicking "View/reply online" in a digest, and then clicking "Like", it sometimes causes a draft to be saved.  I could not repeat this all the time, but does sometimes create a draft.

I suggest two things:

1. No draft should be saved when the "reply" field is empty.
2. The "View/reply online" link in a digest should be just "View online", and should go to a page that shows only the message (without automatically opening a reply field).  It is obvious that you can reply online because there is a very clear "reply" link when you view the message online.

Samuel

Sandi D

On Mon, Dec 30, 2019 at 05:58 AM, Samuel Murray wrote:
When clicking "View/reply online" in a digest, and then clicking "Like", it sometimes causes a draft to be saved.
I get the digest and click the "view/reply online" in order to read the topic online. I have to routinely clear multiple blank drafts that have been unknowingly created. While I occasionally "like" a post, the drafts far outnumber my "likes".

In fact, the first few weeks I was on GIO I incurred 30 drafts and had never used the "like" button. I didn't realize these drafts existed until I read a topic posted to the GMF forum about blank drafts and the response that they were there due to clicking on "view/reply online" from the Digest and that it was "expected" behaviour due to the "reply" link being clicked.

I do find it strange and to me it would make more sense to separate the "view" and the "reply links. To me a "view" link would take me to the post and from there I would decide after reading, if I wanted to reply.

I will look out for drafts being associated to a "like".
--
Sandi Dickenson
ASG Volunteers Group.

Janis

I agree with both of the above.  I often want to view online just to see the whole thread together, even though I have no wish to reply.  But if we click on view/reply online, there should not be a reply box automatically opened.  We can do that for ourselves once online by clicking the reply button. The problem is not the view/reply online button but is in the automatic opening of the reply form.  Once there we know how to click on reply.

Christos G. Psarras

>>> ...  But if we click on view/reply online, there should not be a reply box automatically opened.  We can do that for ourselves once online by clicking the reply button. The problem is ... in the automatic opening of the reply form... <<<

Yes, the "View/Reply Online" link in the footer behaves differently in group digest*** emails vs group individual emails; the former will automatically open the reply box, the latter will not; i.e. the former includes the ?reply=1 parameter in the link, the latter does not.  So in the former case, any click on most all other options on the thread/topic page except the red Discard (draft) button will result in a saved blank message body draft.

The other two footer reply links behave the same, it's only this link that's different between the two.  I don't know what's the intent behind this difference, but IMO it should work the same on both.

Cheers,
Christos

*** (I only tested the Full-Feature digest, not sure if it also does the same on the plain or daily summary emails)