locked renaming GMF

ro-esp

[starting new thread to unbury the subject]

2b. Re: Feature requests/Canny after two weeks
From: Patti Woodbury <deserthorses@gmail.com>
Date: Sat, 28 Dec 2019 15:58:14 CET
It might be clearer that GMF is a peer to peer “not official” group if
it were renamed “Groups Manager Community” or “Groups Community Forum”.
Yes, and a different abbreviation would reduce the chances of confusing it with the GMF on yahoogroups.

groetjes/ĝis, Ronaldo

Duane

I seriously doubt that this will happen.  From the GMF home page, "This Group Managers Forum (GMF) was founded as a sister to the Group Managers Forum for Yahoo! Groups owners, with the same management but this one is focused on Groups.io instead of Yahoo! Groups."

As far as official or not, on the beta home page it says, "For general Groups.io questions, please see the groups Group Managers Forum and the Group_Help group. Note: those groups are volunteer-led and are not officially run by Groups.io."  The same mention doesn't appear at the top of the site help page in the gray Need Help? area and should probably be added. At the bottom of the page, in the Questions and Bug Reports section, it does say, "Alternatively, if you have a question about something, the best place to start is with the Group Managers Forum, which is a collection of experienced group owners. They're great people and should be able to help."  I think it would be better/fair if Group_Help were also mentioned whenever GMF is though.

Lastly, if the name were changed, there would be nothing to prevent someone else from starting a group with the current name, thus making it even more confusing.

Duane

I also do think that GMF could be renamed to better reflect its non-ties to GIO, plus more closely align itself with the forgotten group, Group-Help.  Personally, if you are going to have Group_Help, to me Group_Managers_Help seems a logical choice as it "associates" both groups together, one for regular users (primarily), the other for admins.mods (primarily).

One observation,

>>> Lastly, if the name were changed, there would be nothing to prevent someone else from starting a group with the current name, thus making it even more confusing.<<<

Not quite correct, all one has to do is create a placeholder group with the pertinent info, set it to not visible/closed, etc, and nobody can create the same group, at least with the same address.

Cheers,
Christos

Could we stop discussing changing this group’s name and go back to discussions of groups.io issues? I think it is past time for Mark to close this thread!!

On Dec 28, 2019, at 4:04 PM, Christos G. Psarras <christos@...> wrote:

I also do think that GMF could be renamed to better reflect its non-ties to GIO, plus more closely align itself with the forgotten group, Group-Help.  Personally, if you are going to have Group_Help, to me Group_Managers_Help seems a logical choice as it "associates" both groups together, one for regular users (primarily), the other for admins.mods (primarily).

One observation,

>>> Lastly, if the name were changed, there would be nothing to prevent someone else from starting a group with the current name, thus making it even more confusing.<<<

Not quite correct, all one has to do is create a placeholder group with the pertinent info, set it to not visible/closed, etc, and nobody can create the same group, at least with the same address.

Cheers,
Christos

Chris Jones

On Sat, Dec 28, 2019 at 09:04 PM, Christos G. Psarras wrote:
I also do think that GMF could be renamed to better reflect its non-ties to GIO
Duane's post should have been quite enough to explain the history behind the name "GMF". That apart, the group's name is under the control of its Owners (& Moderators, I dare say!) not Groups.io. As far as I can see Mark is perfectly content with the way things are, and I strongly suspect that most of the GMF's subscribers are as well. Changing the name is likely to cause more confusion than it could ever resolve.

Chris

This is not appropriate for beta. Closing.

Mark