Topics

moderated WEB posting Request.

RickGlaz <rickglaz4742435@...>

Lots of OTHER places (on the WEB) let you write a reply to a Group/list message
and then when you hit "Send", the page checks to see if you are still connected
and warns you IF you are not instead of going to a blank page and loosing the reply.

That seems to be part of the sending WEB page, not something I can do anything about
(More about that next...)

I use the InternetOFF program so my computer disconnects every hour or less.
I have to manually check to see if I "timed out" each time I hit send.
The more complex the reply is, the more likely this is to happen...
Others can or will have similar results for entirely different reasons.

I'm guessing this would not be a high priority item, but since it already exists elsewhere,
it might be easy to research and add<?>

RickG

Janis

I think your message would be saved as a draft automatically at Groups.io..

Janis

Or it will be if you are still online when you begin it.  Yahoo did not save a draft so we lost messages if we left the page.

Bob Bellizzi

While I don't understand how turning off the internet to a computer is useful since, in most cases, you have an intervening router or wifi point and connection to the internet, I guess it might be handy around kids.

Having said that, I have found that I can simply sleep my laptop, even in the middle of composing an email and, when I fire it back up, it brings up at the point I left off.  If it was in the middle of  a compose, that's where I resume with no issue.
Possibly, that's a function of the OS and Google's Chrome browser, but anyway, it's seamless.

Also, since you gave no detail on which revision level of Internetoff you are using,nor what OS platform/rev and what browser & rev, I just reviewed Internetoff's website and rev 3.0 is out and it is supposed to fix the issues with Windows 10.

Bob Bellizzi

Bob Bellizzi

Rick,
To test this issue, I started typing the message below and then cut off the wifi after the last word below.
I then terminated the instance of chrome that I was using to type my message online.
I waited 10 seconds and then reconnected the laptop wifi to the access point and
I then opened a new tab in Chrome (I had left Chrome running when I killed the wifi)
I reentered groups.io and selected Beta group.
Then I looked at my top draft of 8 outstanding and it was the message you see below
I selected it and was returned to the exact place where I exited from.

Yahoo never did save drafts when connections dropped out.
Sorry Rick,
I reread your message and realized that it's possible you are operating in an email mode with groups.io.
If this is an email mode issue, it's definitely a software problem at your end.

There is no reason to expect the system to continually poll you once you are disconnected

--

Bob Bellizzi

RickGlaz <rickglaz4742435@...>

Thanks to everyone that replied, especially Bob for the testing.

It is admittedly a problem I cause myself, and there is no draft
being saved do to the timing of the disconnect. (bummer)

I'll watch for sites that do this differently and report back where
this is handled in a more user friendly way.

Then it might be a lot clearer when people can hopefully see
the "detection of connection" work as described.

I believe the 1+1 WEBmail hosting does that but it needs
an account to see it.

I'll start testing to see if someplace more publicly accessible is around.
Thanks for your help and considering a solution.

Rick
Sent from a ChromeBook

On Thu, Dec 19, 2019 at 06:52 PM, Bob Bellizzi wrote:
[...]

This might help at least understanding, this is what I see.
The minute I "loose" my connection the orange bottom warning comes on and stays.
That is enough to keep me out of trouble there and not loose the message.
When I hit send, (ignoring the bottom warning),
I get the second white boxed pop-up.
With a chance to connect, etc...
Slick, but not much use for people "always" connected.
Thanks for reading this. Rick

RickGlaz <rickglaz4742435@...>

Sorry, no quoting needed...
My last message should have stated more clearly that was when trying to
compose from the 1+1, AKA IONOS WEBsite Webmail page.
That would be a good feature here.

Rick

Bob Bellizzi

On Fri, Dec 20, 2019 at 05:18 AM, RickGlaz wrote:
1+1 WEBmail
I've searched for the 1+1 WEBmail but haven't been able to find it.
What will help clarify the issue is
      • we know you are using a chromebook
      • how are you accessing groups.io
        • via email and if email, what email client software and who is your email provider (domain name e.g. pacificbell.net, aol.com, etc_
        • via a browser and if a browser, which browser
      • is your computer connected by cable or wifi
      • who is your internet service provider (ISP)
      • what kind of broadband connection do you have?
        • cable or dsl or ?
That, at least might get us into the same general area as you so we could better understand the operation.
I did access that internet program but their website don't tell much about specific functionality, controls, etc.

--

Bob Bellizzi

RickGlaz-WEB <rickglaz4742435@...>

Mixed in replies. Sorry for the delay.
On December 21, 2019 at 6:35 PM Bob Bellizzi <cdfexec@...> wrote:
that
On Fri, Dec 20, 2019 at 05:18 AM, RickGlaz wrote:

RG said> > 1+1 WEBmail

I've searched for the 1+1 WEBmail but haven't been able to find it.
I added the new name in a letter reply. Sorry if it got missed.
They did a merger and took the smaller Company name because it
was more associated with their new goals or Target customers.
This is (or nearly?) the biggest Hosting Company in the UK.
They host in the USA too.
https://email.ionos.com/ BUT
Getting there will not help. Killing the connection on what I see here as
the log-on box/page will not cause the orange offline box. THAT box only
comes sometimes when on their Domains, or THEIR emulated/hosted ones like mine.

What will help clarify the issue is

*

*

*
three bullet points received as blank
Can't see or answer, there was no question.

* we know you are using a chromebook
Sometimes, but it is new, about a month old. I use a desktop and have had
this problem since I got here a couple years ago or so...

* how are you accessing groups.io
When I used my own Domain WEBmail everything works fine. That was the
orange box picture I sent. It is the expected and hoped for action/reaction.

WHEN I post from the Group WEBsite poster page, THAT is when the reply message
is lost if I'm disconnected after starting a message and/or get disconnected
before I hit send. If connection is lost early enough, no Groups.io WEBsite
DRAFT is saved. This is proper DRAFT action since there is no connection.

* via email and if email, what email client software and who is your email provider (domain name e.g. pacificbell.net, aol.com, etc_
No local client email program is EVER used.
Provider is my hosting service. See login address above.
I'm my own Domain Admin and OWN the Domain.
Hosting is rented otherwise.

* via a browser and if a browser, which browser
ALWAYS Google Chrome.

* is your computer connected by cable or wifi
Never Cable, Never Cat5, Always WiFi.@ 100Mbps nominal. 75Mbps just now tested.

* who is your internet service provider (ISP)
Verizon

* what kind of broadband connection do you have?
FIOS, Quantum (Verizon's word) Router.

* cable or dsl or ?
NO

That, at least might get us into the same general area as you so we could better understand the operation.
I did access that internet program but their website don't tell much about specific functionality, controls, etc.
InternetOff? It breaks into the network stack and puts in a selectable timer with a Max of 1hr on or always on.
It also has an instant off feature. Or always off.
Other than doing exactly what I tell it to do (disconnect me after a certain time), this is not related to
the problem.

I was asking if the same WEBpage functionality seen at IONOS message poster page could be added here,
at the Groups.io message poster page.

I started asking years ago because what was 1+1 then was not doing replies well concerning Groups and
especially Groups.io
I was told that I needed to contact them and have it fixed there...
I did, and they fixed it.
So I was able to use my own Web host for posting but I get into trouble when using the hosting at Groups.io

and the group.io posting page is brain dead about that very nice feature...

Hope this helps...

Rick

--

Bob Bellizzi

RickGlaz-WEB <rickglaz4742435@...>

No quoting on purpose. (No EDIT mode like other Groups.io groups.)
WEBmail used: