Topics

moderated Feature request

Hi,

so I dare to request two features, now that the big transfer wave is ebbing away:

1. Inspite of the option to send out a member notice for more information about an applicant before approving him or her, it really would be extremely useful to have them answer the one short question "Why do you want to join this group?" with the first group notice that is sent out to them. This feature has been asked for by many owners in the GroupManagersForum.  And for quite a few groups like mine where health issues are the main topic, it could be extremely helpful to have this question answered before even sending out the member notice for more information.

2. And I would appreciate if in the "from"-section in a message sent out by an owner or moderator with the owner+groups.io extension there could also be a group owner´s alias instead of the personal alias of the sender - which contradicts the original intention of the owner or moderator to send out a general and not a personal message.

I hope these requests can make it on the to do list. I haven´t seen them there.
Thanks in advance!
Victoria

Patty Stokes

Regarding Victoria's request #1: I'd much prefer not to have two rounds of requests for information. I use the auto-reply to ask for all the information I need.

This has been working spectacularly with Groups.io. Back in the bad old Yahoo days, there was a space for prospective members to enter information (prompted by Yahoo - group owners had no control over that). Many would-be members seem to have thought they had already given adequate information and didn't answer the auto-reply message asking for basic data such as their name, reason for wanting to join, etc.

So - with all respect for Victoria - I'm a vote for keeping the questions confined to the single member notice that my group automatically sends out. Anything more is apt to sow confusion, as my experience with Yahoo indicates.

Warm regards,
Patty Stokes
Berlin Scholars group owner

Frances

On Sun, Dec 15, 2019 at 02:05 PM, Victoria wrote:

1. Inspite of the option to send out a member notice for more information about an applicant before approving him or her, it really would be extremely useful to have them answer the one short question "Why do you want to join this group?" with the first group notice that is sent out to them. This feature has been asked for by many owners in the GroupManagersForum.  And for quite a few groups like mine where health issues are the main topic, it could be extremely helpful to have this question answered before even sending out the member notice for more information.

Victoria, is this as well as the questionnaire you can have sent out automatically for restricted groups before the person joins?
BTW, anyone can read GroupManagersForum, including the wiki without logging into Groups.io or joining GMF.

Also of course, you can have a welcome notice and guidelines sent out automatically.
https://groups.io/g/GroupManagersForum/wiki/Member-Notices

Frances

https://groups.io/g/GroupManagersForum/wiki/home

On Sun, Dec 15, 2019 at 11:21 AM, Patty Stokes wrote:
I'd much prefer not to have two rounds of requests for information
I don't think that would ever happen anyway. It's fraught and complicated enough already with the one round.

Chris Jones

On Sun, Dec 15, 2019 at 07:05 PM, Victoria wrote:
This feature has been asked for by many owners in the GroupManagersForum.
Has it? It might be my memory failing but I have no recollection of this cropping up on GMF, at least not "recently" (undefined) and certainly not in the form in which you have expressed it above.

Why do you want to join this group is a perfect question to ask using the Pending Subscription message, and is more or less the purpose of it in the first place.

IMHO the existing provision is perfectly adequate.

Chris

This feature has been asked for by many owners in the GroupManagersForum.

Chris: "Has it? It might be my memory failing but I have no recollection of this cropping up on GMF, at least not "recently" (undefined) and certainly not in the form in which you have expressed it above."

Yes, it has. Especially recently owners of newly transferred groups aked about this old yahoo feature and many before, some even here in Beta. But of course everyone who asked for it was referred to the pending subscription notice as a standard answer.

Frances asked: "Victoria, is this as well as the questionnaire you can have sent out automatically for restricted groups before the person joins?"

To me these are two different things. A quick answer to the question why someone wants to join my group can already give me an orientation and can also signal the seriousness of the application and its urgency.

And I do not find it confusing or complicated to have both. And by the way different groups can have different needs and conceptions, and not every existing feature must be used by everyone.
Victoria

On Sun, Dec 15, 2019 at 01:55 PM, Victoria wrote:
different groups can have different needs and conceptions, and not every existing feature must be used by everyone.
I would therefore like to request three rounds of questioning for pending members. Just because someone doesn't like them doesn't mean some groups might want them. After all, it would be optional per group.

Just a little reductio ad absurdum to demonstrate that the argument "not every group might want it but it should still be implemented because some of them might" doesn't hold water. There is a limit. Having two rounds of questioning *would* cause complications. You don't find it confusing or complicated because it doesn't exist yet.

Jeremy H

There is already the 'Pending Subscription' notice facility mentioned upthread, for asking standard question(s) of applicants. If responded to 'correctly' that will be adequate in most cases - but sometimes this will not be the case.

What seems to be asked for, or wanted, here, is a 'Note to Applicant' facility, similar to the 'Note to Member' one, but for not-yet members - I assume a 'Note to Member' cannot be used in this situation. With the ability to have multiple variants as required, based on previous responses - which can be alternatives, or sent in series.

There is probably also a case for a 'Note to Non-Member' feature: but whether it is (from a Groups.io perspective) acceptable or desirable is another matter.

Jeremy

On Mon, Dec 16, 2019 at 05:10 AM, Jeremy H wrote:
I assume a 'Note to Member' cannot be used in this situation.
Not true. The "Send Message" function can be used on pending members.