Topics

moderated Testing new feature request/tracking system


 
Edited

Hi All,
 
As noted several times, the existing Trello board for tracking feature requests is very much out of date, and I have been looking for something better. It was recommended that I check out a service called Canny, and I've gone ahead and set up an integration with them. Canny is like a next-gen Uservoice, for people familiar with that service.
 
Check it out: [NOTE: Canny integration has been disabled because the test is over]
 
You need to log in to comment/submit feature requests; the login system uses your Groups.io login, so you don't need to enter a password or anything. The service charges us based on the number of people commenting, so I've restricted the login ability to people who are moderators or owners of premium groups only. But anyone can view the site.
 
Please check it out and let me know what you think. One favor to ask, when adding feature requests, please be as detailed as possible, with examples if you can. Also, I cannot guarantee any particular feature will be implemented, and I cannot guarantee any order of feature development.
 
Thanks,
Mark


Laurence Marks <marks@...>
 

Mark,

Will you retain another path for those who are not "owners or moderators of premium groups?" Perhaps just maintaining beta.groups.io?

Larry

--
Larry Marks


Gory Corey @MinionsWeb.com
 

Why not be simple and mainstream and just use bugzilla .
I literally have never worked in a shop since y2k that doesnt use it.

On 12/11/2019 7:22 PM, Mark Fletcher wrote:
Hi All,

As noted several times, the existing Trello board for tracking feature requests is very much out of date, and I have been looking for something better. It was recommended that I check out a service called Canny, and I've gone ahead and set up an integration with them. Canny is like a next-gen Uservoice, for people familiar with that service.


You need to log in to comment/submit feature requests; the login system uses your Groups.io login, so you don't need to enter a password or anything. The service charges us based on the number of people commenting, so I've restricted the login ability to people who are moderators or owners of premium groups only. But anyone can view the site.

Please check it out and let me know what you think. One favor to ask, when adding feature requests, please be as detailed as possible, with examples if you can. Also, I cannot guarantee any particular feature will be implemented, and I cannot guarantee any order of feature development.

Thanks,
Mark


Charles Roberts
 

Visited the canny.io thing and tried to post two requests.  The first went fine, but the second disappeared.  UI not User-Friendly enough for my taste but hopefully I won't have to visit it too often as groups.io has things pretty much together.
Chuck

On Dec 11, 2019 7:22 PM, Mark Fletcher <markf@corp.groups.io> wrote:
Hi All,

As noted several times, the existing Trello board for tracking feature requests is very much out of date, and I have been looking for something better. It was recommended that I check out a service called Canny, and I've gone ahead and set up an integration with them. Canny is like a next-gen Uservoice, for people familiar with that service.


You need to log in to comment/submit feature requests; the login system uses your Groups.io login, so you don't need to enter a password or anything. The service charges us based on the number of people commenting, so I've restricted the login ability to people who are moderators or owners of premium groups only. But anyone can view the site.

Please check it out and let me know what you think. One favor to ask, when adding feature requests, please be as detailed as possible, with examples if you can. Also, I cannot guarantee any particular feature will be implemented, and I cannot guarantee any order of feature development.

Thanks,
Mark


Duane
 

On Wed, Dec 11, 2019 at 06:35 PM, Laurence Marks wrote:
Will you retain another path for those who are not "owners or moderators of premium groups?"
For suggestions, I'd assume that we can still post those here?

Duane


 

Mark,

The service charges us based on the number of people commenting, so
I've restricted the login ability to people who are moderators or
owners of premium groups only. But anyone can view the site.
Clicking the LOG IN button when you don't qualify rather rudely dumps one back at the Groups.io home page without explanation. Very disorienting.

At least, I assume that's the reason I got dumped.

Shal


 

Seems pretty unusable. It looks like it cuts off titles consisting of more than the one line allowed in the box. But the titles showing of the existing posts are longer than that. There was no way I could create a post with title "Allow unlocking/unmoderating of auto-locked/moderated topics." As soon as I got to about the last word, it would show only "ics." But then when I went into the "details" pane, the title pane went back to the *beginning* of the title and the "ics" had disappeared. I tried making the title shorter and shorter and eventually gave up.
--
J

Messages are the sole opinion of the author, especially the fishy ones.
My humanity is bound up in yours, for we can only be human together. - Desmond Tutu
Note on an occupational hazard: I comment frequently in beta based on my desire for the betterment of groups.io as a product. Only a fraction of the time are my comments and suggestions specifically a matter of self-interest. Don't assume the latter when the former may be the case.


 

On Wed, Dec 11, 2019 at 05:44 PM, Charles Roberts wrote:
hopefully I won't have to visit it too often as groups.io has things pretty much together
That doesn't mean there aren't lots of requests and ideas to make it better. I wouldn't say that an unfriendly UI for feature requests is hunky dory because, after all, the product is good enough already.
 
--
J

Messages are the sole opinion of the author, especially the fishy ones.
My humanity is bound up in yours, for we can only be human together. - Desmond Tutu
Note on an occupational hazard: I comment frequently in beta based on my desire for the betterment of groups.io as a product. Only a fraction of the time are my comments and suggestions specifically a matter of self-interest. Don't assume the latter when the former may be the case.


 

Ok, I got around the title character restriction by corrupting the meaning slightly. I wish longer titles were allowed. But I did succeed in generating the post.
--
J

Messages are the sole opinion of the author, especially the fishy ones.
My humanity is bound up in yours, for we can only be human together. - Desmond Tutu
Note on an occupational hazard: I comment frequently in beta based on my desire for the betterment of groups.io as a product. Only a fraction of the time are my comments and suggestions specifically a matter of self-interest. Don't assume the latter when the former may be the case.


 

I just created my second post. I'm now a convert. :-)
--
J

Messages are the sole opinion of the author, especially the fishy ones.
My humanity is bound up in yours, for we can only be human together. - Desmond Tutu
Note on an occupational hazard: I comment frequently in beta based on my desire for the betterment of groups.io as a product. Only a fraction of the time are my comments and suggestions specifically a matter of self-interest. Don't assume the latter when the former may be the case.


Duane
 

On Wed, Dec 11, 2019 at 07:13 PM, Gory Corey @MinionsWeb.com wrote:
Why not be simple and mainstream and just use bugzilla
It looks to me like the setup and administrative time needed for that would be excessive and could well be used for improving GIO.  BTW, I've never worked in a shop that did use it.

Duane


 

On Wed, Dec 11, 2019 at 7:43 PM Shal Farley <shals2nd@...> wrote:

Clicking the LOG IN button when you don't qualify rather rudely dumps
one back at the Groups.io home page without explanation. Very disorienting.


Hmmm. It should have put up a banner saying "Only owners/moderators of premium groups can participate at this time." I'll have to check the code.

Thanks,
Mark


 

On Wed, Dec 11, 2019 at 4:35 PM Laurence Marks <marks@...> wrote:

Will you retain another path for those who are not "owners or moderators of premium groups?" Perhaps just maintaining beta.groups.io?

Beta will never go away.

Thanks,
Mark 


 

On Thu, Dec 12, 2019 at 09:49 AM, Mark Fletcher wrote:
Beta will never go away.
Is that a promise or a threat? ;)
 
--
J

Messages are the sole opinion of the author, especially the fishy ones.
My humanity is bound up in yours, for we can only be human together. - Desmond Tutu
Note on an occupational hazard: I comment frequently in beta based on my desire for the betterment of groups.io as a product. Only a fraction of the time are my comments and suggestions specifically a matter of self-interest. Don't assume the latter when the former may be the case.


Greg Elmassian
 

OK I tried it, posted. I have several groups, all migrated from yahoo.

Let's settle on one location or another... since this is not complex, we should try a tool and if it works well enough, use it, instead of complaining about a particular tool.

As an aside, I would not mention I had never used bugzilla if I wanted to be perceived as experienced in software development, it's currently 6th overall out of hundreds in the market, and other than the top 2 in the market, it is withing about 1/2% of numbers 3-5.

Greg


 

I have a question about how the feature requests are ordered in the displayed list. At first it seemed like reverse chrono, but now I see that two of the requests are consistently at the top ever after other requests are added, and my own requests seem to be no longer in reverse chrono order. What is the algorithm here?
--
J

Messages are the sole opinion of the author, especially the fishy ones.
My humanity is bound up in yours, for we can only be human together. - Desmond Tutu
Note on an occupational hazard: I comment frequently in beta based on my desire for the betterment of groups.io as a product. Only a fraction of the time are my comments and suggestions specifically a matter of self-interest. Don't assume the latter when the former may be the case.


Gerald Boutin <groupsio@...>
 

On Fri, Dec 13, 2019 at 02:28 PM, J_Catlady wrote:
I have a question about how the feature requests are ordered in the displayed list. At first it seemed like reverse chrono, but now I see that two of the requests are consistently at the top ever after other requests are added, and my own requests seem to be no longer in reverse chrono order. What is the algorithm here?
--
J

Messages are the sole opinion of the author, especially the fishy ones.
My humanity is bound up in yours, for we can only be human together. - Desmond Tutu
Note on an occupational hazard: I comment frequently in beta based on my desire for the betterment of groups.io as a product. Only a fraction of the time are my comments and suggestions specifically a matter of self-interest. Don't assume the latter when the former may be the case.

The order depends on your display settings...


 
--
Gerald


Shane Grimm
 

Worked perfectly for me! I like it. I like the simplicity. One click with no login prompt.  Other feedback systems appear overly complicated.

Limiting title length is good, forces users to come up with a clear shorter title that show up in main screen. The description is available for all the lengthy details.

May want to allow selection of a category.

Onboarding
Documentation
Wiki
Database
...


 

I agree now that the title length limit is good.
But disagree with adding categories. As you say, simplicity is great.
--
J

Messages are the sole opinion of the author, especially the fishy ones.
My humanity is bound up in yours, for we can only be human together. - Desmond Tutu
Note on an occupational hazard: I comment frequently in beta based on my desire for the betterment of groups.io as a product. Only a fraction of the time are my comments and suggestions specifically a matter of self-interest. Don't assume the latter when the former may be the case.


Shane Grimm
 

On Sat, Dec 14, 2019 at 11:17 AM, J_Catlady wrote:
I agree now that the title length limit is good.
But disagree with adding categories. As you say, simplicity is great.
--
J

Messages are the sole opinion of the author, especially the fishy ones.
My humanity is bound up in yours, for we can only be human together. - Desmond Tutu
Note on an occupational hazard: I comment frequently in beta based on my desire for the betterment of groups.io as a product. Only a fraction of the time are my comments and suggestions specifically a matter of self-interest. Don't assume the latter when the former may be the case.


Yes, always best to start simple. You've changed my mind as well. Also saw your reply in the site, thank you. I like how I had a notification when I opened the page to let me know you commented.