Topics

moderated Yahoo has extended deadline for downloading from your group

Frances

"Beginning October 28, new content won't be able to be uploaded to the site, and all previously posted content on the site will be permanently removed after December 14. We will continue to process requests to download your content as long as they are submitted by January 31, 2020. "

Source:  https://ca.help.yahoo.com/kb/SLN31010.html?impressions=true

See this wiki page on Group Managers Forum for what to do with your mbox download.
No group or Groups.io membership needed to read.
https://groups.io/g/GroupManagersForum/wiki/Moving-to-Groups.io

Frances

dave w

Frances

I fail to understand why you posted this.
It is neither relevant nor I would have thought helpful on this date!

The title is misleading - it is old news, not current.
The page linked is common knowledge cited many times in current posts AND is public, as you say.

FWIW, dave

Bill Burns

On 12/10/2019 6:11 PM, dave w wrote:
Frances
I fail to understand why you posted this.
It is neither relevant nor I would have thought helpful *on this date!
The title is misleading - it is old news, not current.
The page linked is common knowledge cited many times in current posts AND is public, as you say.*
FWIW, dave
This announcement at Yahoo has not been seen before today:

"We will continue to process requests to download your content as long as they are submitted by January 31, 2020."

The previous update from Yahoo was on December 7th, when they said: "If your download request is made by 11:59pm PST on Saturday, December 14, 2019, your content will not be deleted until your download is complete."

--
Bill

Juulz

Yup... that's what it says on the US site, too - not just the Canadian help page.  I imagine they will keep the database available to their tech team for creating zip files but take it off the websites. We'll see in three days!

Bill Burns

On 12/11/2019 8:49 AM, Juulz wrote:
Yup... that's what it says on the US site, too - not just the Canadian help page.  I imagine they will keep the database available to their tech team for creating zip files but take it off the websites. We'll see in three days!
And to demonstrate their competence, today I received an email with the December 14th request cutoff date, but this links to the page with the January 30th date.

--
Bill

Andrew VK1DA

I think we have to treat these announcements with care.  Yahoo refers to “your content” but that does not necessarily mean files and photos, for example.  It may only refer to messages posted by an individual, and no other messages.  The wording is obscure.

My understanding of the change is that although “content” will generally be removed from December 14, “content” will remain until it has been extracted in response to individual requests.

So by asking for our content, would that result in the extension of the content deletion date for a specific group? This is not a question I think we can answer here, but equally I doubt if Yahoo would answer it.

Andrew

Dave Wade

Andrew,

Like you I didn’t expected to receive content I had not created but some one mentioned on another group they go everything.

So I applied and received two ZIP files totalling nearly 3GB containing everything from every group I think had ever been a member of, 91 in all.

So Messages, Files, Photos, Links and attachments where these were stored on the server.

To sum up I urge everyone who has enough GB free locally to request their data.

Dave

I think we have to treat these announcements with care.  Yahoo refers to “your content” but that does not necessarily mean files and photos, for example.  It may only refer to messages posted by an individual, and no other messages.  The wording is obscure.

My understanding of the change is that although “content” will generally be removed from December 14, “content” will remain until it has been extracted in response to individual requests.

So by asking for our content, would that result in the extension of the content deletion date for a specific group? This is not a question I think we can answer here, but equally I doubt if Yahoo would answer it.

Andrew

Duane

On Wed, Dec 11, 2019 at 02:27 PM, Andrew VK1DA wrote:
So by asking for our content, would that result in the extension of the content deletion date for a specific group? This is not a question I think we can answer here, but equally I doubt if Yahoo would answer it.
In reading some posts around the web this morning, I noticed one that said the information won't be available online after Dec 14.  It will only be available to the people/programs creating the archive files.  https://www.zdnet.com/article/verizon-kills-email-accounts-of-archivists-trying-to-save-yahoo-groups-history/ under the Dec 11 Update, down the page.

Duane

Bill Burns

On 12/11/2019 4:38 PM, Duane wrote:
In reading some posts around the web this morning, I noticed one that said the information won't be available online after Dec 14.  It will only be available to the people/programs creating the archive files. https://www.zdnet.com/article/verizon-kills-email-accounts-of-archivists-trying-to-save-yahoo-groups-history/ under the Dec 11 Update, down the page.
Duane
That's exactly what the Yahoo page Frances posted to GMF yesterday says:

https://ca.help.yahoo.com/kb/SLN31010.html

Beginning October 28, new content won't be able to be uploaded to the site, and all previously posted content on the site will be permanently removed after December 14. We will continue to process requests to download your content as long as they are submitted by January 31, 2020.

--
Bill

outlawmws

I just tried to get the download and got a 404 unknown page.  even the advertised PDF help file  is not there...

They are hell bent on obliterating everything...

Dave Wade

This link

seems to work ok in the uk

Dave