Topics

moderated Allow auto-moderated/locked topics due to time-out hashtag to be unmoderated/unlocked by hand

It is currently impossible to ever unmoderate or unlock a topic that was moderated or locked due to a hashtag time-out, because the system goes back through the topics list every night and moderates or locks it again. At first, I would try to unmoderate such a topic, and be perplexed that it would suddenly be moderated again the next day. Then I figured out what was happening. :-) The only way to unmoderate or unlock it is to change the hashtag duration, and this seems unacceptable (or at minimum unintuitive). So this request is to allow such topics to be unmoderated or unlocked by hand. They would probably have to be marked somehow so that they bypass the automated process from that point forward.

On Mon, Dec 9, 2019 at 12:48 PM, J_Catlady wrote:
The only way to unmoderate or unlock it is to change the hashtag duration
Or, of course, to remove the hashtag from the topic, which is probably normally undesirable.

CORRECTION: Actually I have to make a correction to my request. I had been saving up the request until beta was open to feature requests again, but I failed to look at my notes about it. The real issue is when the group itself (not a hashtag) locks or moderates messages after x days. There is no way to unlock or unmoderate timed-out topics in that case, other than to remove or change the group's entire setting in that regard. The hashtag issue is secondary.

Mark Irving

It would work well, I suggest, if the auto-lock or auto-moderate timer counted days since last activity on a topic, and treated unlocking by a moderator as an activity. I think the timer at present counts from the oldest message on a thread, rather than the newest, so an adjustment might be needed by groups using this feature.

  - Mark

The auto-lock/auto-moderate feature does not, and in my opinion *should not*, count days from last activity. That is not its intended function.

On Dec 10, 2019, at 2:21 AM, Mark Irving <m-pfaff@...> wrote:

It would work well, I suggest, if the auto-lock or auto-moderate timer counted days since last activity on a topic, and treated unlocking by a moderator as an activity. I think the timer at present counts from the oldest message on a thread, rather than the newest, so an adjustment might be needed by groups using this feature.

  - Mark

p.s. I do understand your idea. You're thinking the topics should be locked/moderated after they become inactive. But the purpose of the feature is to lock/moderate them when they simply reach a certain age, so that they don't go on (or go on without some sort of control) forever. Perhaps auto-lock could be changed to work that way, which does make some sort of sense. But I think auto-moderate should work based on age, not activity.

And to be clear, we’re now talking about the group settings, not hashtag durations (which work a different way and should definitely not be changed to consider imactivity - they either delete or lock the topic based on age and have to stay thst way).

On Dec 10, 2019, at 3:25 AM, J_Catlady via Groups.Io <j.olivia.catlady@...> wrote:

p.s. I do understand your idea. You're thinking the topics should be locked/moderated after they become inactive. But the purpose of the feature is to lock/moderate them when they simply reach a certain age, so that they don't go on (or go on without some sort of control) forever. Perhaps auto-lock could be changed to work that way, which does make some sort of sense. But I think auto-moderate should work based on age, not activity.

Mark Irving

Yes, I think the group setting auto-lock (but I've no strong opinion about auto-moderate) would be more useful if it applied after a topic became inactive, rather than counting its age since first message.

Setting moderation for a topic which seems set to grumble on for ever is a decision I would usually give to the moderators' human judgement, rather than an automated timer -- but that, of course, depends on the nature of the group. The groups I help look after may not be typical; we use auto-lock as a way of preventing the occasional reply where the original discussion is long forgotten.

  - Mark