Topics

moderated Update/Rest of the year

Hi All,

I have unmoderated the beta group again. Please keep the discussion focused on new features and not support requests.

With the great Yahoo Groups migration winding down, I can turn back to projects in process before that happened. My focus continues to be on the app. It is almost ready for testing and I will soon create a new subgroup for that. The first version will not have moderator features; it's just focused on normal users. I will also be getting back to work on notifications soon.

I am working this week (although at reduced capacity because of a cold), and then will be on holiday until January 6th. As usual, I'll be monitoring the site. But answers to support requests will be delayed. Due to support volume, I can only answer messages from mods/owners of premium groups at this time. I wish it wasn't so, but that's reality.

2019 was quite a year for Groups.io. 2020 is looking to be even better. Thanks for your support!

Mark

Mark,
Take care of yourself. Happy holidays!

Catherine Dold <cathydold@...>

Thank you, Mark!

I'm getting great feedback from my group members...they love groups.io!

Cathy

--
~~~~~~~~~~~~
Catherine Dold

Scott Logan

I'll add my 2¢ worth here too.

First and foremost, thank you to Mark for all the work and I'm sure many headaches, both due to our friends at Yahoo and from so many "newbies". Given the troubles created by Yahoo, I think you've done an admirable job. Glad to hear you've planned some time off, we really don't want you burned out!

As an aside, I feel like I've come "full circle" now.

My group, a combined user support/discussion and (occasional) promotion group for my business was originally started with eGroups in 2000. At that time, there was an option to pay a subscription fee to eliminate ads, which I happily paid (it was not much as I recall). This was much appreciated by my members, many of whom were also customers of my small business.

So now that "little" group has come back under Mark's wing, while in the meanwhile having grown from about 100 members to over 2,500 members. I've also transferred 2 other groups (one of which goes back to 1998) from YG to GIO and helped 2 other groups get moved.

GIO is so far superior to what was available under YG (even when it WAS supported), that it hurts to even place them in the same category.

Thank you Mark and your team!

Scott Logan
https://groups.io/g/Lathe-List
https://groups.io/g/QuickBooks

Douglas Swearingen <dougiebehr@...>

Thank You Mark for all you do to make Groups.io a huge success.

Have a Great Holiday.

Doug

[...]

Ginny T.

Rest up and feel better Mark - and get some R&R. You more than deserve it. I can't even imagine what life was like when YG finally made things "official", and all of the hanger-oners hit the panic button.

Travel safe and have great holidays,
Ginny
--
Ginny T.  gttemari21@...
========

Duane

On Mon, Dec 9, 2019 at 12:10 PM, Mark Fletcher wrote:
With the great Yahoo Groups migration winding down
If you can (and don't mind), could you give us an estimate of the number of groups that used the Easy Transfer in the 43 day crush (though it seemed much longer)?  Several of us have played with the numbers based on things we can see and come up with estimates ranging from ~ 2000 to 6000.  Obviously not crucial, but a question for the ages.

a question for the ages
It *is* a question for the ages, and for history. Someone, at some point, and preferably soon, should write a news story about it. :-)

Also, every day I am receiving yahoo so-called “final notice” about their latest “improvement/update” lol. This “final notice” has arrived about 10 times by now.

On Dec 12, 2019, at 7:24 AM, J_Catlady via Groups.Io <j.olivia.catlady@...> wrote:

a question for the ages
It *is* a question for the ages, and for history. Someone, at some point, and preferably soon, should write a news story about it. :-)

Drew

The latest notice I received from Yahoo Groups essentially says that they are amazed and awed by the vibrant groups community-- therefore they are going to scuttle all online content.

Verizon should change the name from Yahoo! to Cuckoo!

Drew

On Dec 12, 2019, at 7:24 AM, J_Catlady via Groups.Io <j.olivia.catlady=gmail.com@groups.io <mailto:j.olivia.catlady=gmail.com@groups.io>> wrote:

/a question for the ages/

It *is* a question for the ages, and for history. Someone, at some point, and preferably soon, should write a news story about it. :-)

/Messages are the sole opinion of the author, especially the fishy ones./
/My humanity is bound up in yours, for we can only be human together. - Desmond Tutu
//Note on an occupational hazard: I comment frequently in beta based on my desire for the betterment of groups.io <http://groups.io> as a product. Only a fraction of the time are my comments and suggestions specifically a matter of self-interest. Don't assume the latter when the former may be the case.//
/
/Messages are the sole opinion of the author, especially the fishy ones./
/My humanity is bound up in yours, for we can only be human together. - Desmond Tutu
//Note on an occupational hazard: I comment frequently in beta based on my desire for the betterment of groups.io as a product. Only a fraction of the time are my comments and suggestions specifically a matter of self-interest. Don't assume the latter when the former may be the case.//
/

On Thu, Dec 12, 2019 at 6:52 AM Duane <txpigeon@...> wrote:
On Mon, Dec 9, 2019 at 12:10 PM, Mark Fletcher wrote:
With the great Yahoo Groups migration winding down
If you can (and don't mind), could you give us an estimate of the number of groups that used the Easy Transfer in the 43 day crush (though it seemed much longer)?  Several of us have played with the numbers based on things we can see and come up with estimates ranging from ~ 2000 to 6000.  Obviously not crucial, but a question for the ages.

As a rough estimate, I think it was around 3300 groups. Which means accepting 3300 invites and solving around 3300 captchas. I was very fortunate in that my dad volunteered to help with that. Let me tell you, he is now exceptionally good at identifying crosswalks and chimneys in images!

Mark

Bärbel Stephenson

Your Dad sounds like a great guy.  Please thank him from all of us for his patience and perseverance.

Barbara

As a rough estimate, I think it was around 3300 groups. Which means accepting 3300 invites and solving around 3300 captchas. I was very fortunate in that my dad volunteered to help with that. Let me tell you, he is now exceptionally good at identifying crosswalks and chimneys in images!

Mark

That detail about your dad needs to be in the feature story, along with a photo of him laboring over a captcha 😊

On Dec 12, 2019, at 10:07 AM, Mark Fletcher <markf@corp.groups.io> wrote:

On Thu, Dec 12, 2019 at 6:52 AM Duane <txpigeon@...> wrote:
On Mon, Dec 9, 2019 at 12:10 PM, Mark Fletcher wrote:
With the great Yahoo Groups migration winding down
If you can (and don't mind), could you give us an estimate of the number of groups that used the Easy Transfer in the 43 day crush (though it seemed much longer)?  Several of us have played with the numbers based on things we can see and come up with estimates ranging from ~ 2000 to 6000.  Obviously not crucial, but a question for the ages.

As a rough estimate, I think it was around 3300 groups. Which means accepting 3300 invites and solving around 3300 captchas. I was very fortunate in that my dad volunteered to help with that. Let me tell you, he is now exceptionally good at identifying crosswalks and chimneys in images!

Bob Bellizzi

I understand that your parents are ex-IBM from the old school, like me.

--

Bob Bellizzi

Janis

Best wishes for a wonderful holiday, Mark!  And thanks!  My group members seem to be really happy to be here!  Thanks for being hands on and accessible and helful as well as a tech genius!

PurplePenny

On Thu, Dec 12, 2019 at 06:08 PM, Mark Fletcher wrote:

As a rough estimate, I think it was around 3300 groups. Which means accepting 3300 invites and solving around 3300 captchas. I was very fortunate in that my dad volunteered to help with that. Let me tell you, he is now exceptionally good at identifying crosswalks and chimneys in images!

Your father is a hero!  I get frustrated with a single Captcha when the image is so bad that I can't tell which squares have road signs/cars/lampposts/small furry aliens in them.

You're a hero too of course :)

Penny