moderated Feature Request for Yahoo Group Transfers #suggestion

Jon Matcho

I understand these were announced to be no longer accepted earlier this week, but hear me out...

I am a member of a group that I was unable to convince of the urgency to get their Yahoo group transferred over to hear.  They have a placeholder free group setup, but not yet operational.  They decided at their last meeting (that I was unable to make), that "we'll revisit this in January 2020".  I was able to download all files, photos, links, etc. from the Yahoo group, but messages are the issue now.

Why not support Yahoo Group transfers only for Members and Messages after the 12/14/2019 date?  Others may come to realize they're in the same boat as well.

Thanks,
Jon

Duane

On Sat, Dec 7, 2019 at 10:46 AM, Jon Matcho wrote:
Why not support Yahoo Group transfers only for Members and Messages after the 12/14/2019 date
According to Yahoo, the messages will only be available after Dec 14 if they're involved in someone's request for a backup.  See https://groups.io/g/GroupManagersForum/message/25629

Duane

Bill Burns

On 12/7/2019 8:02 AM, Jon Matcho wrote:
Why not support Yahoo Group transfers only for Members and Messages after the 12/14/2019 date?  Others may come to realize they're in the same boat as well.
The messages archive will not be available at Yahoo after the 14th:

https://help.yahoo.com/kb/groups/SLN31010.html

Open the "What features will go away?" section, where it lists Conversations and Message History.

You should check the Group Managers Forum, where there are many suggestions on how to at least save your message archive before Yahoo discards it, with the possibility of being able to upload this to groups.io at some point.

https://groups.io/g/GroupManagersForum

--
Bill

On Sat, Dec 7, 2019 at 09:12 AM, Duane wrote:
the messages will only be available after Dec 14
Yes but the OP downloaded all of his messages to somewhere else, where they are presumably safe from yahoo's pending destruction. ;) Not sure whether that will persuade Mark to find a way to upload them, though.

Oops I think I misread that. He downloaded everything *except* the messages.

On Sat, Dec 7, 2019 at 11:28 AM, J_Catlady wrote:
but the OP downloaded all of his messages to somewhere else
Hmm, I didn't read it that way.  Maybe he'll let us know for sure.

Duane

Rex A

J_Cat, No. My understanding of the OP is that he got everything *Except* the messages.
  " I was able to download all files, photos, links, etc. from the Yahoo group, but messages are the issue now."
I think OP is outta luck.

On Sat, Dec 7, 2019 at 12:13 PM, Bill Burns wrote:
The messages archive will not be available at Yahoo after the 14th:

https://help.yahoo.com/kb/groups/SLN31010.html
Ah, thanks Bill.  That was the part I was missing.  I had assumed the archives would be available after 12/14 and that part of the transfer process would still work.  Oh well.

Thanks everyone.

Randall

All of my Yahoo groups still are archiving messages when made, an still can upload photos and files like they said would be disabled in October. Yahoogroups are as complacent in their shut down as they were in their service when operational.

That said, I'm sure Mark is more than "done having to deal with Yahoo transfers and al the trouble that went with it. I'm just glad he was there when Yahoogroups wasn't there for it's users. For that I give Mark a LOT of credit and an happy to pay for a service I could also have had for free. And  will keep paying for as long as he supports his users has he has. It can't be an easy job and it is very much appreciated.

Bill Burns

On 12/9/2019 11:37 AM, Randall wrote:
All of my Yahoo groups still are archiving messages when made, an still can upload photos and files like they said would be disabled in October. Yahoogroups are as complacent in their shut down as they were in their service when operational.
Yahoo's policy has not changed on this:

https://help.yahoo.com/kb/groups/SLN31010.html

"...all previously posted content on the site will be permanently removed after December 14..."

--
Bill

Jon Matcho

I will end with a request for 2020, which is to support transfer of pre-Easy Transfer from Yahoo messages into a groups.io account.  I have messages saved from Yahoo's own export/download process as well as PG Online.

Happy End of Year everyone,
Jon