Topics

moderated e-mail subscription change for ALL groups at one time #suggestion

Brian Vogel <britechguy@...>

Someone just recently asked if there was a way to change the subscription status to "No email" for all groups they are subscribed to with one action.  After digging around, I cannot find a mechanism to do this.

One can send e-mail messages cyclically to all the groups to which one is subscribed or one can use the "Manage My Subscriptions" page, cycling through each group's delivery link and circling back to the "MMS" page for each group.

There are times, though, when someone may wish to put all their groups that have any sort of e-mail subscription "on hold," either temporarily - much like a vacation stop for real postal mail - or permanently.

It would be nice if there were a way to do this for all groups at once, and to include a date option that would allow the hold to run only through a given date, or to remain in force until one would come in and turn it back off if the date is not specified.  It would be really nice if all of the original delivery options were remembered for when the hold is turned off, whether manually or via the deadline date having been reached.

--
Brian  Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1709, Build 16299   (dot level on request - it changes too often to keep in signature)
I worry a lot. . . I worry that no matter how cynical you become it's never enough to keep up.
    ~ Trudy, in Jane Wagner's 
            Search for Signs of Intelligent Life in the Universe

Jujube <ellaxyu@...>

I think this is a great idea and it shouldn't be too hind to implement.

----- Original Message -----
To: main@beta.groups.io
Date sent: Sun, 26 Nov 2017 19:32:31 -0800
Subject: [beta] e-mail subscription change for ALL groups at one time #suggestion

Someone just recently asked if there was a way to change the subscription status to "No email" for혻all groups they are subscribed to with one action.혻 After digging around, I cannot find a mechanism to do this.

One can send e-mail messages cyclically to all the groups to which one is subscribed or one can use the "Manage My Subscriptions" page, cycling through each group's delivery link and circling back to the "MMS" page for each group.

There are times, though, when someone may wish to put all their groups that have any sort of e-mail subscription "on hold," either temporarily - much like a vacation stop for real postal mail - or permanently.

It would be nice if there were a way to do this for all groups at once, and to include a date option that would allow the hold to run only through a given date, or to remain in force until one would come in and turn it back off if the date is not specified.혻 It would be really nice if all of the original delivery options were remembered for when the hold is turned off, whether manually or via the deadline date having been reached.

--
Brian혻혻-혻Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1709, Build 16299혻혻 (dot level on request - it changes too often to keep in signature)
I worry a lot. . . I worry that no matter how cynical you become it's never enough to keep up.
혻 혻혻~ Trudy, in Jane Wagner's혻
혻 혻 혻 혻 혻 혻혻Search for Signs of Intelligent Life in the Universe

Donald Hellen

I like the date assignment for the "hold mail" period. This would work like the USPS web site does for holding mail.

Donald

On November 26, 2017 10:32:31 PM "Brian Vogel" <britechguy@...> wrote:

Someone just recently asked if there was a way to change the subscription status to "No email" for all groups they are subscribed to with one action.  After digging around, I cannot find a mechanism to do this.

It would be nice if there were a way to do this for all groups at once, and to include a date option that would allow the hold to run only through a given date, or to remain in force until one would come in and turn it back off if the date is not specified.  It would be really nice if all of the original delivery options were remembered for when the hold is turned off, whether manually or via the deadline date having been reached.

--
Brian  Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1709, Build 16299   (dot level on request - it changes too often to keep in signature)

Sarah k Alawami

I think you can do this by expanding  your groups then viewing a table. From there you can check the boxes for which you want to take the bulk actions such as going no mail and leaving all the groups, I think. Not sure about the unsub but I did see "no mail" the last time.

Take care

On Nov 26, 2017, at 7:32 PM, Brian Vogel <britechguy@...> wrote:

--

Brian Vogel <britechguy@...>

Sarah,

You are indeed correct as far as permanent changes go.  I just realized that if you go to your groups page the checkboxes along the left side can be checked for the group(s) you wish to change your subscriptions to the same type and then use the "Actions" key at the bottom.

I still think it would be great to add something to that page that:
  1. Gives quick, clear instructions regarding the checkboxes and action key.
  2. Would allow someone to put a "Vacation Hold" on, turning all groups to "No Email" through a certain date, reverting to whatever the subscription options were for each group after the date passes.

--

Duane

On Mon, Nov 27, 2017 at 10:41 am, Brian Vogel wrote:
Would allow someone to put a "Vacation Hold" on, turning all groups to "No Email" through a certain date, reverting to whatever the subscription options were for each group after the date passes.
In addition, it would be nice to add an email command to do this.  At a minimum, it would be an address like groupname+hold, with an opposite of groupname+unhold.  If it could be a site wide address that would change all of your groups, that would be even better for those that are on many groups.  Having it last until a certain date could be a bit of a challenge.

Duane
PS to Sarah - Yes, you can unsub there, too.

Sarah k Alawami

That would be nice. I don't ever use vacation mode as I am able to catch up or I just go current, still though for those of us who need to use it, vacation mode until x date would be nice.

On Nov 27, 2017, at 9:25 PM, Duane <txpigeon@...> wrote:

On Mon, Nov 27, 2017 at 10:41 am, Brian Vogel wrote:
Would allow someone to put a "Vacation Hold" on, turning all groups to "No Email" through a certain date, reverting to whatever the subscription options were for each group after the date passes.
In addition, it would be nice to add an email command to do this.  At a minimum, it would be an address like groupname+hold, with an opposite of groupname+unhold.  If it could be a site wide address that would change all of your groups, that would be even better for those that are on many groups.  Having it last until a certain date could be a bit of a challenge.

Duane
PS to Sarah - Yes, you can unsub there, too.

Karen Schaffer

I realize this is an old thread. Is this suggestion still under consideration? I know some of our members would appreciate being able to set vacation holds. Going slightly beyond the suggestion here, it would be nice to also set a beginning date as well as an end date so the hold could be set it up in advance.

Mark Irving

On Sun, Nov 26, 2017 at 07:32 pm, Brian Vogel wrote:
a way to change the subscription status to "No email" for all groups they are subscribed to with one action.

It's not very many clicks to do the following (and works whether you subscribe to one group or 50).

1. Go to the Groups.io home page, and log in if necessary. The page appears as a list of groups headed "Your Groups."
  2. Click the check box next to the heading Groups. Every group in your list gets a check marker to show it's selected.
  3. Scroll to the bottom of the page and click the Actions button. A menu of settings, including No Email, appears. Click the one you want.

This doesn't cover the other part of the request, to make it a timed holiday stop and remember your previous settings.

- Mark