Topics

moderated Suggested change

Eric Johnson

If I may be so bold . . .

I would suggest a field on each page dealing with the transfer process that asks for the email of the owner or person in charge. That way that person can be notified of the completion of the step and advised what they should do next. That should reduce the traffic here and on GMF regarding each transfer.

Eric

Frances

On Tue, Dec 3, 2019 at 10:31 AM, Eric Johnson wrote:
If I may be so bold . . .

I would suggest a field on each page dealing with the transfer process that asks for the email of the owner or person in charge. That way that person can be notified of the completion of the step and advised what they should do next. That should reduce the traffic here and on GMF regarding each transfer.
Well, given that there are only a couple of days left, it isn't feasible. And you would need to suggest this to Beta group that Mark monitors.

But if people treated the process like a project, and followed each step, it might go easier. That being said, there is the spanner in the works - YG's acting up!

I would print out the instructions and tick off each one as they are completed. Go carefully, step by step. Read everything!
See these instructions - https://groups.io/g/GroupManagersForum/message/22617
Or these with screenshots - https://groups.io/g/GroupManagersForum/wiki/Transfer-from-Yahoo-Groups

Frances

Eric Johnson

I agree that the crisis is close to over. However, the suggestion remains to cover any future moves be it one a week or a thousand. It would take an hour or two to set this in place and the benefits would always be there.

This is the beta group is it not?
Eric

Duane

On Tue, Dec 3, 2019 at 11:18 AM, Eric Johnson wrote:
It would take an hour or two to set this in place and the benefits would always be there.
But there won't be any more YG transfers after Dec 5...

Duane

Charlotte Schoeneman

Hi BG,

I don't see a way to have archives/old messages hidden from members.  Is that possible?  I moderate a support group for divorcing moms and encourage people to post fairly deeply, and ask for support on sensitive topics.  It's nice for them to feel like their kids, or their stalk-y ex can't somehow search for those messages

Thanks,
Charlotte

Donald Hellen

Eric . . .

On Tue, 03 Dec 2019 09:07:19 -0800, "Eric Johnson" <Toller67@...>
wrote:

I agree that the crisis is close to over. However, the suggestion remains to cover any future moves be it one a week or a thousand. It would take an hour or two to set this in place and the benefits would always be there.
If this weren't so close to the deadline the two hours you say it
would take to implement this change might be feasible. Right now Mark
is working night and day with little sleep to get as many groups
transferred. He will run out of time at some point. He has limited
resources and right now the most limited resource is time.

To spend the two hours now might mean several groups will not get
transferred because he spent his time on doing that instead of
transfers. I think there's already enough information available for
people to follow the directions to get their transfer done.

If there is indeed benefit of having that information after Dec 14
(you said there would be some benefits in the future in it "always"
being there, I just don't understand how it would be useful after Dec
14), I'm sure your suggestion could be considered then. Suggesting it
now just means it will be lost in the commotion that's going on right
now. To expect it to be implemented now would mean some transfers
would be sacrificed just to do this.

I think Mark is going to take this transfer stuff right up to the last
possible minute. He will probably continue after Dec 14 as long as he
has group content downloaded already (before it disappears from Yahoo)
so he has something to transfer. Then he will run out of content and
will have to just say he did his best and the rest just didn't make it
in time.

You are in the right group to make the suggestion though. Just come
back after the Dec 14 Yahoo cutoff date and suggest it then with an
explanation of how it will be useful in the future. No sense in making
a case for it now as it will have to be ignored during this crisis.
Mark has already stated that he will not be spending time implementing
suggestions until after the transfers are all completed.

Donald

Join the Icom group, a general Icom (amateur radio) discussion
group on Groups.io:
https://groups.io/g/ICOM (recently launched, growing slowly)
**also, a new self-help group dedicated to your cat's health:
https://groups.io/g/CatVet (just launched)

Donald Hellen

Duane . . .

On Tue, 03 Dec 2019 12:03:38 -0800, "Duane" <txpigeon@...>
wrote:

But there won't be any more YG transfers after Dec 5...

I thought it was Dec 14:

https://www.theverge.com/2019/10/17/20919593/yahoo-groups-new-content-upload-deadline-extra-week

"However, no matter when you post something to a group, it’s still
going to get deleted, as Yahoo is still removing all content hosted on
Groups on December 14th."

Did they change the cutoff or was the reporting in that article
incorrect? I've read that in multiple places but that doesn't mean
those sources are correct, but they are usually so.

In either case it won't affect me as I have my groups archived. I just
want to be sure so I can run my archiver at the last minute to get
whatever the last "recorded" posts are.

wrote:

But there won't be any more YG transfers after Dec 5...

I thought it was Dec 14:
The archives should be on YG until Dec 14, but Mark has set a cutoff of Dec 5 @ 9am Pacific time for requesting transfers.  He may continue to try existing transfers after the cutoff if they haven't been completed.

Duane

Charlotte -
“Privacy” is a back burner issue for now. I work with some “sensitive” groups and I remind everyone that nothing posted anywhere on the internet should be considered “private”. If any member of your group receives posts via individual messages or digests, even if you delete that post it lives in posterity. There are things an individual can do to mask their identity (different email, not using identifiers in posts) but you can not assure members of total anonymity. It might be more appropriate to move this query to the GMF https://groups.io/g/GroupManagersForum/topics

Patti

Charlotte Schoeneman

I understand it's not hanging fire at the moment, but I'd like to advocate for that feature in future.

Thanks Patti!

Charlotte Schoeneman
Earthclot Design & Property Management:
Finding the Space You Need in the House You Have

Landline - please call and leave VM here: 301.270.1801
Mobile/whats app: 240.350.1482
Google voice/text: 240.668.4302
Fax: 857.559.7704
Skype: c.schoeneman

When you serve yourself, you serve all others; and when you serve others, you serve yourself.  - Richard Miller
On 12/4/2019 10:54 AM, Patti Woodbury wrote:

Charlotte -
“Privacy” is a back burner issue for now. I work with some “sensitive” groups and I remind everyone that nothing posted anywhere on the internet should be considered “private”. If any member of your group receives posts via individual messages or digests, even if you delete that post it lives in posterity. There are things an individual can do to mask their identity (different email, not using identifiers in posts) but you can not assure members of total anonymity. It might be more appropriate to move this query to the GMF https://groups.io/g/GroupManagersForum/topics

Patti

Al Arca <vet@...>

Would this be Eric C. Johnson that I knew long ago?