Topics

Re= Re: [beta] Yahoo Groups transfers on and extended to December 5th #transferupdate

Ann Kelsey

Add me to the thank you list for extending the deadline.

Just confirming that we should leave all boxes checked on the transfer request. Yesterday there were suggestions to uncheck messages because those transfers were the ones that weren't working.

THANK YOU!!!

Ann Kelsey

On Mon, Dec 2, 2019 at 07:39 AM, Ann Kelsey wrote:

Just confirming that we should leave all boxes checked on the transfer request. Yesterday there were suggestions to uncheck messages because those transfers were the ones that weren't working.

Yes, we can transfer messages again.

Cheers, Mark

Patty Stokes

I’m ready to make the leap except for this:

When I used the Chrome extension to download my group’s messages last night, only 10k of the 35k were retrievable. This included many of the recent messages.

When I go to Yahoo I can see messages in short form (sender, subject, first line) but when I click to expand I get a blank box. These "blank-box messages”  are the ones that failed to transfer.

Has anyone else encountered this problem? Have a fix for it? Clearly it’s (deep breath) a YAHOO ISSUE. Gah.

Does this indicate permanent failure?

Grateful for all counsel,

Patty Stokes, BerlinScholars group

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Patricia Stokes, Ph.D.
Assistant Professor, Women’s, Gender, & Sexuality Studies
Ohio University

On Mon, Dec 2, 2019 at 9:13 AM Patty Stokes <sandkittens@...> wrote:
I’m ready to make the leap except for this:

When I used the Chrome extension to download my group’s messages last night, only 10k of the 35k were retrievable. This included many of the recent messages.

When I go to Yahoo I can see messages in short form (sender, subject, first line) but when I click to expand I get a blank box. These "blank-box messages”  are the ones that failed to transfer.

This is a manifestation of Yahoo's latest issues. My changes yesterday to our crawler mostly work around this, and I'm seeing very few unretrievable messages since the changes went into effect yesterday. Basically, I'm hammering Yahoo's servers; I massively parallelized the crawler and also if it gets a failure, it retries a lot more times than before, in rapid succession. These are admittedly hostile behaviors, and if I was running Yahoo's servers, I'd not be pleased. But it seems to do the trick.

Mark

On Mon, Dec 2, 2019 at 09:22 AM, Mark Fletcher wrote:
I'm hammering Yahoo's servers; I massively parallelized the crawler and also if it gets a failure, it retries a lot more times than before, in rapid succession.
So all of this emergency life support for the dying patient has been going on behind the scenes, untouted and unrecognized, and probably even more of it prior to this, while meanwhile, Mark just tells us that he can "now transfer messages again." LOL. Giant kudos!

Patty Stokes

Mark, I'd send you flowers if I knew how! THANK YOU.

For anyone else who's starting this process: I had to try about a dozen times before I got Yahoo to send an invitation to the groups.io address. If you get a failure message on the invite page, keep trying.

I'm almost weeping with gratitude, and it's not just relief to have this sorted. I feel like I've found a group of people who embody what the Internet was like in those early days - a spirit of sharing, generosity, competence, and curiosity.

xxxooo
Patty