Topics

locked Like

Hi All,

After a week of (mostly) bug fixing, I needed something fun to do
(bugs can be fun, but are often frustrating, depending). Having some
time this weekend, I started working on like, which I finished up
today. You can like posts and see who else liked posts. On the web
site, there's a Like link under each message. Alternatively, you can
reply to a message with either a "+1" or "like" (no quotes) as the
first line of the reply, and that will be counted as a like (and the
message will not be sent to the group).

Currently you do not get any notifications if someone likes a message of yours.

Let me know if you see any strangeness or have suggestions.

Judy F.

Mark, hopefully this feature can be turned off at the owner/moderator level. The selling group has all ads pended for approval and then if they have to muddle through the various likes/dislikes that's going to be a mess. Also an ad shouldn't have a like or dislike. If you like it, you send a note that you want to buy it, etc.

Currently in most of my groups, people have their messages set to special notice or Digest because they don't want all of those messages cluttering up their inbox, if I'm understanding this correctly, they will now get likes and dislikes? Why does group.io have to be like Facebook? Why can't they just send a message that they found the information informative or whatever?

Judy F.
SW Florida - USA

After a week of (mostly) bug fixing, I needed something fun to do (bugs can be fun, but are often frustrating, depending). Having some time this weekend, I started working on like, which I finished up today. You can like posts and see who else liked posts. On the web site, there's a Like link under each message. Alternatively, you can reply to a message with either a "+1" or "like" (no quotes) as the first line of the reply, and that will be counted as a like (and the message will not be sent to the group).

Currently you do not get any notifications if someone likes a message of yours.

Let me know if you see any strangeness or have suggestions.

Hi Judy,

On Mon, May 4, 2015 at 4:36 PM, J. Faulkner <jfaulkner44@...> wrote:

Currently in most of my groups, people have their messages set to special notice or Digest because they don't want all of those messages cluttering up their inbox, if I'm understanding this correctly, they will now get likes and dislikes? Why does group.io have to be like Facebook? Why can't they just send a message that they found the information informative or whatever?
That's the whole idea, by having the Like function, that eliminates
the need for someone to send a message to the group just saying they
agree or like a particular message. Hopefully, this will *reduce* the
number of messages sent to a group.

Currently there are no notifications when your message is liked, you
have to go to the web site to see that someone's liked your message.

Cheers,
Mark

Frances

Hi Mark,

Will those who have the selected Advanced Preferences get another email when something is “liked”, with “following only” and “first message also” as their options? I hope not.

Frances

On Mon, May 4, 2015 at 4:45 PM, Frances <travel@...> wrote:

Will those who have the selected Advanced Preferences get another email when
something is “liked”, with “following only” and “first message also” as
their options? I hope not.
If someone does a +1 or a like in email, that message _is not_ sent to
the group. The like is recorded and the message is dropped, like it
never happened.

Mark

Joseph Hudson <jhud7789@...>

Hi Mark, so when somebody clicks the view link in an email there's a way to like iMessage that's new to me anyway. I'll have to check this out. If this is true, I would definitely love to be able to get notified about that as I don't really look at the web archive a whole lot.

Do you have a problem navigating social media? Do you find that email is the best way to communicate, are you interested in meeting new people and making new friends? Then we have created a group for you.this group, is where blind and deaf individuals can get together and socialize in communicate. If you were interested please subscribe here.
chat-request@... Sent from my iPad

On May 4, 2015, at 6:42 PM, Mark Fletcher <markf@corp.groups.io> wrote:

[...]

So where are the "Don't Like" or "Waste of Time" or "Hated It" or "Useless and Bad Information" & etc. buttons? I've never quite understood the need for Like if there isn't another option.

Duane

Mark,

Alternatively, you can reply to a message with either a "+1" or
"like" (no quotes) as the first line of the reply, and that will be
counted as a like (and the message will not be sent to the group).

Currently you do not get any notifications if someone likes a message
of yours.
So if you're email-only you don't see anything new. But you can post likes if you happen to know how.

Maybe there could be a subscription preference, or maybe it should be a profile preference, to receive email notification when someone "Likes" your post. Either individual notifications or in their own daily digest.

-- Shal

I see you liked your own message.  That probably shouldn't be allowed.

Otherwise, it seems harmless enough.  It only starts to become a problem when you accumulate Likes and display the total number on a user's profile.  Then people start going all out trying to accumulate Likes, which tends to degrade the message quality.  (You would think otherwise, but....)

JohnF

Joseph Hudson <jhud7789@...>

Yeah that's kind of what I was thinking.
Joseph Hudson
I device support
Email
Face time and iMessage
Office phone
641-715-3900 x34315
Emergency line
641-715-3900 x5887652
Skype
joseph.hudson89

On May 4, 2015, at 7:42 PM, Shal Farley <shal@...> wrote:

Mark,

> Alternatively, you can reply to a message with either a "+1" or
> "like" (no quotes) as the first line of the reply, and that will be
> counted as a like (and the message will not be sent to the group).
>
> Currently you do not get any notifications if someone likes a message
> of yours.

So if you're email-only you don't see anything new. But you can post likes if you happen to know how.

Maybe there could be a subscription preference, or maybe it should be a profile preference, to receive email notification when someone "Likes" your post. Either individual notifications or in their own daily digest.

-- Shal

I think that likes are a fantastic feature even if there aren't yet any notifications. It is great for people to be able to show that they appreciate a message without everyone being spammed.

Regarding notifications, I think that there should be two kinds of notifications. Firstly, there should be some kind of notification like on Facebook on the site which tells you when people liked your posts. It might be useful to have an option to turn this off, since whenever people see a number, they feel like they have to click it. Psychologically, it is very hard to ignore a large number.

Secondly, there should be some form of email notifications. There are a few options here.

Some people may want an email every like.

Some people may want to find out when a post is especially popular - say every five likes.

Others may want a digest. I imagine that the options here could easily become very complicated.

I subscribe to a newsletter from RSN.  I read the articles that are of interest to me.  The comments give readers of those comments to click on a green thumbs up which means Agree, or a red thumbs down which means disagree.  Sometimes I write comments to articles.  Sometimes, when I go back a few days later, my comment will have a green number or a red negative number.  But, usually, I don't bother.

I have seen some message boards where comments get "liked" and that moves them up the list.  Somebody suggested that it would be nice to get an email if somebody else liked a comment he wrote.  If the point of installing a like button is to cut down on email, then that's kind of defeating the purpose.

Somebody else suggested that there should also be a Dislike button.  I agree with that.  I propose that instead of Like or Dislike, that it should be changed to Agree or Disagree.  Of course, it is possible, also, to like somebody's message without agreeing with it.

Somebody else indicated that one should not be able to like his or her own comment.  I agree with that.  In RSN, I can't thumbs up or thumbs down my comment.  In Care2, I can't send myself a green star.

Donna

On Mon, May 4, 2015 at 5:42 PM, Shal Farley <shal@...> wrote:

So if you're email-only you don't see anything new. But you can post likes
if you happen to know how.
Correct.

Maybe there could be a subscription preference, or maybe it should be a
profile preference, to receive email notification when someone "Likes" your
post. Either individual notifications or in their own daily digest.
I like that (get it? har). I think that will be part of a
notifications overhaul at some point. I want you to be able to see
notifications on the website, if you wish, instead of email. And if
you want email, you should be able to specify if you want individual
notifications, or have them grouped.

Will you be making Like an owner option? I really don't want it.

Duane

Hi Duane,

On Tue, May 5, 2015 at 2:58 PM, Duane <txpigeon@...> wrote:
Will you be making Like an owner option? I really don't want it.
I hadn't planned on making it an option. Can you give me some more
information on why you don't want it? I figured in the grand scheme of
things it's a pretty small feature, but also, these days an expected
one.

rajmund <brajmund2000@...>

Hello,
I'm not sure whether I want this, either.
At the end of the day, what we would end up with, is a
social site, working with emails. I like the buty of mailing lists.
Sent from the BrailleNote

Will you be making Like an owner option? I really don't want it.

I hadn't planned on making it an option. Can you give me some more
information on why you don't want it? I figured in the grand scheme of
things it's a pretty small feature, but also, these days an expected
one.

Judy F.

I totally agree.

Judy
SW Florida - USA

On Tue, May 5, 2015 at 03:11 pm, Mark Fletcher <markf@corp.groups.io> wrote:

I hadn't planned on making it an option. Can you give me some more
information on why you don't want it? I figured in the grand scheme of
things it's a pretty small feature, but also, these days an expected
one.

I can't think of any reason that we'd need (or want) it on our groups. One is strictly technical, so there's a remote possibility it would be used there. One is a social group, so no need for it at all unless there's a Dislike choice. A third is a planning/club group and I can't think what we'd use it for there.

I asked ten people from my groups about it and only one even had any idea what it was for. I suspect it would cause lots of confusion, especially when they couldn't see another choice.

If Like is the only option, should we assume that the other 7 billion plus people in the world don't like it? Puts a different slant on things. (grin)

Duane

On Tue, May 5, 2015 at 3:24 PM, J. Faulkner <jfaulkner44@...> wrote:
I totally agree.
You know, you could have used the like function here. :-)

Mark

Duane,

I can't think of any reason that we'd need (or want) it on our groups.
But perhaps your members will.

One is strictly technical, so there's a remote possibility it would be
used there. One is a social group, so no need for it at all unless
there's a Dislike choice. A third is a planning/club group and I can't
think what we'd use it for there.
I think a reasonable theory is that many people chime in on lists simply to say "I like this", or "I agree with this", and no further comment is needed. The opposite, "dislike" or "disagree" typically comes with elaboration - why you like or agree with it - or begs for one. Having a dislike option might actually impede understanding if it causes members to simply flag their disagreement without explanation.

Of course there are lots of theories on this. See also:
http://www.quora.com/Why-is-there-no-Dislike-button-on-Facebook

If Like is the only option, should we assume that the other 7 billion
plus people in the world don't like it? Puts a different slant on
things. (grin)
A rather silly slant, if I may say so.

First, any assumption about people who did not see the message makes no sense. Second, you assume there's only two possibilities, like or dislike, where a quite natural possibility is that some or most people didn't have an opinion or didn't care.

-- Shal