Topics

moderated Yahoo Groups transfers on and extended to December 5th

Steve G

Thank you Donald and everyone else who replied with helpful information. You've got me pointed in the right direction.

Have a great rest of your holiday season!

Steve

I've also finally noticed the handy-dandy #transferupdate hashtag, which when muted will prevent yahoo-transfer messages from flooding your inbox, assuming the topic has been appropriately tagged.

On Wed, Dec 25, 2019 at 03:02 PM, Donald Hellen wrote:
This group is for product suggestions and bugs in the GIO system.
Mark has asked that this group only be used for suggestions on improvements and enhancement of features.  Bugs should be reported to support@groups.io  It doesn't hurt to check on GMF though, because things work a bit differently here than on YG, so some 'bugs' really aren't.

Duane

Donald Hellen

The important thing to do now is request Yahoo to prepare a download
of your Yahoo groups before they no longer offer it sometime next
month. Then you can read about your options in posts on GMF.

Directions on how to do that are in both Yahoo and GIO GMF groups.
Join both and read posts going back a few weeks for information that
might be helpful.

This group is for product suggestions and bugs in the GIO system.

Donald

On Wed, 25 Dec 2019 13:45:58 -0700, "D R Stinson" <@steeplecab> wrote:

roup from Yahoo I am in this situation myself, and I suspect there will be new developments on this situation fairly soon.

https://groups.io/g/ICOM
https://groups.io/g/Ham-Antennas
https://groups.io/g/HamRadioHelp

> Hi Mark,
>
> New to Groups.io. I've searched all over looking for a step
> by step guide on how to transfer a YahooGroups archive
> and can't seem to find it, so here are some questions.
. . . . .

Steve -
This is probably a question better asked on the Group Managers Forum https://groups.io/g/GroupManagersForum . You don't need to be a member to read posts there, but I recommend joining it for the tremendous resource.

You are not alone, and your question is fairly common over there and worth doing a quick search of the messages = and especially the wiki there =.

As someone who is trying to rescue an orphan group from Yahoo I am in this situation myself, and I suspect there will be new developments on this situation fairly soon.

Dano

Donald Hellen

Sorry about that. I was thinking this was a Group Managers Forum post.
Mark DOES read posts here but he's on vacation right now as I
understand it.

This is best discussed in the group manager's forum on GIO but the
wiki article should give you want you need to know besides what I
already posted.

On Wed, 25 Dec 2019 13:10:00 -0500, "Donald Hellen"
<donhellen@...> wrote:

This is a self-help group. Mark doesn't read the messages here.

https://groups.io/g/ICOM
https://groups.io/g/Ham-Antennas
https://groups.io/g/HamRadioHelp

Donald Hellen

Steve . . .

On Wed, 25 Dec 2019 00:35:02 -0800, "Steve G via Groups.Io"
<racer91=aol.com@groups.io> wrote:

Hi Mark,

New to Groups.io. I've searched all over looking for a step by step guide on how to transfer a YahooGroups archive and can't seem to find it, so here are some questions.
This is a self-help group. Mark doesn't read the messages here.

There is information about your question here:

https://groups.io/g/GroupManagersForum/wiki/Moving-to-Groups.io
(see option #1 near the end of the article above)

Your option for using the easy transfer from groups.io has expired
since Yahoo has shut off access to group content stored there.

Donald

https://groups.io/g/ICOM
https://groups.io/g/Ham-Antennas
https://groups.io/g/HamRadioHelp

Steve G

Hi Mark,

New to Groups.io. I've searched all over looking for a step by step guide on how to transfer a YahooGroups archive and can't seem to find it, so here are some questions.

1.) I know that YahooGroups has shut down so you can't transfer directly from Yahoo any more. However, I have a download file that allegedly contains my entire YahooGroup archive including messages. It's a 1.8GB file. Are you able to import this or is it useless?

2.) If you're able to import/transfer my archive, what are the steps I need to take? Do I first setup a new matching group in Groups.io and look for the option to transfer data? Or do I send you a transfer request somehow and then you create the matching Groups.io when you do the transfer? This is not clear to me at all.

3.) I've read messages that mention a charge for the transfer. If so, how much is it? Are there any other charges associated with managing a group on your service?

Thanks very much for your reply & Merry Christmas!

Steve

Brian Garback <brian.garback@...>

Very clever. I’ll work on it. This is exactly what I need. Just an archive, no need for it to all be in groups.io.

Best,
Brian

202-236-5839

On Dec 22, 2019, at 2:06 PM, outlawmws via Groups.Io <Outlawmws@...> wrote:

Brian G - did you see where Yahell has extended the time to request a data dump (they give it to you via Zip file)

The trick I found is you have to give a confirmation (basically MFA) before they start.  its slow, but I requested. (Still waiting...) - I'm told you get a dump of every group you have ever been in  (They have not yet deleted the data just taken it off line to the web pages for the groups...)

Brian Garback <brian.garback@...>

Awesome. I’ll read through these. Thanks a ton!

Best,
Brian

202-236-5839

On Dec 22, 2019, at 5:44 PM, Shal Farley <@Shal> wrote:

Brian,

Do you have simple guidance on how to transfer users from Yahoo now?
Knowing that the data is all gone.
Read this, then ask questions on GMF (GroupManagersForum):
https://groups.io/g/GroupManagersForum/wiki/Moving-to-Groups.io

Shal

On Sun, Dec 22, 2019 at 10:32 AM, Brian Garback wrote:
Do you have simple guidance on how to transfer users from Yahoo now?
There's a pretty good wiki page that might help you, https://groups.io/g/GroupManagersForum/wiki/Moving-to-Groups.io

Duane

outlawmws

Brian G - did you see where Yahell has extended the time to request a data dump (they give it to you via Zip file)

The trick I found is you have to give a confirmation (basically MFA) before they start.  its slow, but I requested. (Still waiting...) - I'm told you get a dump of every group you have ever been in  (They have not yet deleted the data just taken it off line to the web pages for the groups...)

Brian Garback <brian.garback@...>

Mark,

Do you have simple guidance on how to transfer users from Yahoo now? Knowing that the data is all gone.

I missed the deadline for Yahoo.

Thanks a bunch,
Brian

Ann Kelsey

My group completed the transfer set up protocol and everything transferred this afternoon.  We are so grateful that the extension of the deadline and Mark's efforts allowed our group to successfully move from the yahoo platform to groups.io. Our group is small, but is so important to its members as a way of keeping memories and connections alive from a time and place long ago and far away.  Thank you so much.

txercoupemuseum.org

Hi Patty,

Your post made me think…(I just woke up).

After checking with them, I find both of my cats are agnostic too.  So I guess we’re BOTH “agnostic cat lovers"  ;<)

Best!

WRB

—

On Dec 3, 2019, at 12:32 AM, Patty Stokes <sandkittens@...> wrote:

Mark is - at minimum - a demigod. Evidence? Yahoo has become a hellscape, so a spark of divinity was needed! Or maybe Mark is Thor, hammering away until Yahoo's servers give up the goods.

My BerlinScholars group transferred tonight, within a couple hours of triggering the transfer (Step 5). Yay!! We got 6/7 of our 35,000 messages transferred.

Would it be reasonable - or greedy - to put in for a second transfer, this time for messages only, in hopes of scooping up some of the missing ~7000 messages from our archive? I don't want to gum up the works for others who are waiting.

I've seen comments in these forums chastising Yahoo Group owners for not seeing how the wind was blowing years earlier. For sure, we saw the hellish dysfunction but were not aware of an alternative. Many were far from the tech world and busy with other duties: family, work, health problems, crises with kids/marriages/jobs/finances, and other volunteer commitments. I ticked every one of those boxes while serving as sole admin of a large group. Now, other group members have finally stepped up to help moderate my monster group in our hour of need, and for that I'm also grateful.

I'm incredibly grateful to everyone at Groups.io helping us navigate this transition! (I'm an agnostic cat lover, so if you don't want my kind of blessings, steer clear of felines!) What a wonderful community. THANK YOU.

Warmly,
Patty

Patty Stokes

[...]

Mark, you rock, you totally rock!

We transferred our groups a while back (thank you!), and love groups.io.  I told a whole lot of yahoo group folks about groups.io, and some of them did/are transferring their groups (some of them yelled at me, as others have noted).

You have gone beyond multiple times!  After all the ikk and mess at YG, it's so fine to see someone running a groups platform who obviously truly cares about the ability of people to have a well-functioning platform for groups.

Thank you!  you rock!  Gesine (here since egroups days)

Katherine Fritz

Mark,

Thank you for your persistence in dealing with Yahoo's maddening failures and inconsistent performance.  My family group transfer went through yesterday less than an hour after I hit the "proceed" button.  I'm so grateful to you for all your hard work.

best regards,
Katie

M K Ramadoss

I join all others in appreciating the great job you have done and being ethical dealing with all of us!

M K Ramadoss

On Sun, Dec 1, 2019 at 11:50 PM Mark Fletcher <markf@corp.groups.io> wrote:
Hi All,

I spent most of today re-architecting how we pull messages out of Yahoo Groups to try and work around their latest issues. I was moderately successful. Therefore, I have turned back on group transfer requests and have extended the deadline until Thursday, December 5th at 9AM Pacific Time. Keep your fingers crossed that Yahoo's servers stay up that long.

This is it. The deadline will not be extended after this. If you are considering transferring your group, this is your final chance.

If, for whatever reason, you upgrade your group and the group transfer does not happen, I will of course be happy to refund your charge. Please contact me in that case; disputing the credit card charge costs us money in fees (this has unfortunately happened in a few instances).