Topics

Yahoo Groups transfers on and extended to December 5th #transferupdate

Hi All,

I spent most of today re-architecting how we pull messages out of Yahoo Groups to try and work around their latest issues. I was moderately successful. Therefore, I have turned back on group transfer requests and have extended the deadline until Thursday, December 5th at 9AM Pacific Time. Keep your fingers crossed that Yahoo's servers stay up that long.

This is it. The deadline will not be extended after this. If you are considering transferring your group, this is your final chance.

If, for whatever reason, you upgrade your group and the group transfer does not happen, I will of course be happy to refund your charge. Please contact me in that case; disputing the credit card charge costs us money in fees (this has unfortunately happened in a few instances).

Mark,

I hope the fact that you're going way beyond the call of duty, as always, is universally appreciated.

Simon Hedges

Hi Mark,

Thank you very much – I appreciate it.

Simon Hedges

I spent most of today re-architecting how we pull messages out of Yahoo Groups to try and work around their latest issues. I was moderately successful. Therefore, I have turned back on group transfer requests and have extended the deadline until Thursday, December 5th at 9AM Pacific Time. Keep your fingers crossed that Yahoo's servers stay up that long.

This is it. The deadline will not be extended after this. If you are considering transferring your group, this is your final chance.

If, for whatever reason, you upgrade your group and the group transfer does not happen, I will of course be happy to refund your charge. Please contact me in that case; disputing the credit card charge costs us money in fees (this has unfortunately happened in a few instances).

Patty Stokes

You’d better believe I value what Mark is doing here. Herculean indeed!

Thanks from my deepest heart.

Patty Stokes, owner of BerlinScholars

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Patricia Stokes, Ph.D.
Assistant Professor, Women’s, Gender, & Sexuality Studies
Ohio University

Daniel Allen

Agreed, with gratitude.
-Daniel Allen

On Mon, Dec 2, 2019 at 01:06 AM, Simon Hedges wrote:

Hi Mark,

Thank you very much – I appreciate it.

Simon Hedges

bschwerer@...

My transfer went through completely this morning.  Kind of caught me unexpected because I thought it would take a few days to get uploaded, now my group is active.  I really appreciate all the work put in over the holiday weekend.  None of this is easy and Yahoo is a giant pain.   I'm pretty excited about the new features we will have.

Thank you very much

M K Ramadoss

I join all others in appreciating the great job you have done and being ethical dealing with all of us!

M K Ramadoss

On Sun, Dec 1, 2019 at 11:50 PM Mark Fletcher <markf@corp.groups.io> wrote:
Hi All,

I spent most of today re-architecting how we pull messages out of Yahoo Groups to try and work around their latest issues. I was moderately successful. Therefore, I have turned back on group transfer requests and have extended the deadline until Thursday, December 5th at 9AM Pacific Time. Keep your fingers crossed that Yahoo's servers stay up that long.

This is it. The deadline will not be extended after this. If you are considering transferring your group, this is your final chance.

If, for whatever reason, you upgrade your group and the group transfer does not happen, I will of course be happy to refund your charge. Please contact me in that case; disputing the credit card charge costs us money in fees (this has unfortunately happened in a few instances).

Katherine Fritz

Mark,

Thank you for your persistence in dealing with Yahoo's maddening failures and inconsistent performance.  My family group transfer went through yesterday less than an hour after I hit the "proceed" button.  I'm so grateful to you for all your hard work.

best regards,
Katie

Mark, you rock, you totally rock!

We transferred our groups a while back (thank you!), and love groups.io.  I told a whole lot of yahoo group folks about groups.io, and some of them did/are transferring their groups (some of them yelled at me, as others have noted).

You have gone beyond multiple times!  After all the ikk and mess at YG, it's so fine to see someone running a groups platform who obviously truly cares about the ability of people to have a well-functioning platform for groups.

Thank you!  you rock!  Gesine (here since egroups days)

Patty Stokes

Mark is - at minimum - a demigod. Evidence? Yahoo has become a hellscape, so a spark of divinity was needed! Or maybe Mark is Thor, hammering away until Yahoo's servers give up the goods.

My BerlinScholars group transferred tonight, within a couple hours of triggering the transfer (Step 5). Yay!! We got 6/7 of our 35,000 messages transferred.

Would it be reasonable - or greedy - to put in for a second transfer, this time for messages only, in hopes of scooping up some of the missing ~7000 messages from our archive? I don't want to gum up the works for others who are waiting.

I've seen comments in these forums chastising Yahoo Group owners for not seeing how the wind was blowing years earlier. For sure, we saw the hellish dysfunction but were not aware of an alternative. Many were far from the tech world and busy with other duties: family, work, health problems, crises with kids/marriages/jobs/finances, and other volunteer commitments. I ticked every one of those boxes while serving as sole admin of a large group. Now, other group members have finally stepped up to help moderate my monster group in our hour of need, and for that I'm also grateful.

I'm incredibly grateful to everyone at Groups.io helping us navigate this transition! (I'm an agnostic cat lover, so if you don't want my kind of blessings, steer clear of felines!) What a wonderful community. THANK YOU.

Warmly,
Patty

txercoupemuseum.org

Hi Patty,

Your post made me think…(I just woke up).

After checking with them, I find both of my cats are agnostic too.  So I guess we’re BOTH “agnostic cat lovers"  ;<)

Best!

WRB

—

On Dec 3, 2019, at 12:32 AM, Patty Stokes <sandkittens@...> wrote:

[...]

Ann Kelsey

My group completed the transfer set up protocol and everything transferred this afternoon.  We are so grateful that the extension of the deadline and Mark's efforts allowed our group to successfully move from the yahoo platform to groups.io. Our group is small, but is so important to its members as a way of keeping memories and connections alive from a time and place long ago and far away.  Thank you so much.